Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer ... he's seeing a lot more of his adversary's iPads deployed in the real world than he'd like to.

He never sounds like he actually spends a lot of time in the real world...
  • Reply 42 of 218
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Still, the iPad has been out in the open for almost a year now...

Has it?

Announced (not the same as "out in the open") 9 months ago, released 5 months ago.
  • Reply 43 of 218
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danyak View Post

Yeah, and we chose our water company, electric company, and garbage collectors because their "brands" and performance mean so much to us!

Not sure what that means. Steve, is that you?
  • Reply 44 of 218
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

True, true and true. People's comments should be directed toward the AI fail in this post.

But like I said, the people here prefer the delusion so they can attack MS, instead of the reality. Remember, MS is a priori evil and bad, Apple is perfect. Thus, even the false statements about MS are fodder for attack.
  • Reply 45 of 218
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    for even thinking what I'm thinking!
  • Reply 46 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iWatch View Post

what MS brand's mean to users: reboots, powercycles, BSDs, Apple's not so much

oh ya, I forgot viruses!
  • Reply 47 of 218
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    And he actually said it all with a straight face. He's so thoroughly convinced himself that what he says is actually true I bet he could even pass a lie detector test.,
  • Reply 48 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Again, this makes no sense. The phones cost the same - the iPhone is not more expensive than an Android or WP7 phone, so how are Android and WP7 customers low end?

Throw in that the only potential competitor to the iPad that's actually shipping is more expensive, smaller, and has a lower build quality and suddenly Apple is no longer the "high-end" choice.

Nope, this article pretty much sums up everything that's wrong at Microsoft.

Choice? Why would I choose a phone with a slide-out keyboard in landscape mode when most of the OS doesn't rotate? If all those "choices" out there don't make sense, then there's not much choice after all is there? And it's quite rich that he's implying that Apple hardware is "least common denominator" given that all Microsoft OS's target just that.

Unless something changes significantly at Microsoft, their days of domination are over. They're slowly becoming the next IBM - relevant only to business.
  • Reply 49 of 218
    I just cannot stand it anymore - reading or listening to anything Steve Ballmer says is beyond belief. He has got to be the biggest loser of a CEO that roams the face of this earth.
  • Reply 50 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Okay, I'm sorry but WHAT IN THE HELL is up with the dude interviewing Ballmer. Looks like he's wearing a sweater he took out of his sisters closet, then stole his grandmothers glasses....

Or are we all supposed to pretend he's a girl?

I think Ina's tag line says it pretty well: During her years at CNET News, Ina Fried has changed beats several times, changed genders once, and covered both of the Pirates of Silicon Valley. These days, most of her attention is focused on Microsoft.

Probably shouldn't spout off stupid crap when you haven't bothered to check out the information.
  • Reply 51 of 218
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danyak View Post

Yeah, and we chose our water company, electric company, and garbage collectors because their "brands" and performance mean so much to us!

So the government mandated that 95% of the customers buy a Windows PC? That's news to me.
  • Reply 52 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

Throw in that the only potential competitor to the iPad that's actually shipping is more expensive, smaller, and has a lower build quality and suddenly Apple is no longer the "high-end" choice.

Nope, this article pretty much sums up everything that's wrong at Microsoft.

Choice? Why would I choose a phone with a slide-out keyboard in landscape mode when most of the OS doesn't rotate? If all those "choices" out there don't make sense, then there's not much choice after all is there? And it's quite rich that he's implying that Apple hardware is "least common denominator" given that all Microsoft OS's target just that.

Unless something changes significantly at Microsoft, their days of domination are over. They're slowly becoming the next IBM - relevant only to business.

Wow, what a complete non answer. You are new here, but you have mastered the old "let us change the topic of the post so we can say something bad about MS" trick quite well.

The OP said that Apple is all about the mid to high end customer, while Android and MS are all about the low end customer.

However, all of the phones cost the same, and you can even buy the 3GS for $99 which is cheaper than any of the announced WP7 phones.

So, given that price is not the differentiating factor between low and high end customers, I asked what is the determining factor.

Talking about tablets and choice, and phones with keyboards is irrelevant to my post, but like I said it does allow you to say bad things about MS.
  • Reply 53 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brannman27 View Post

This guy continues to prove over & over again that he is in denial and completely delusional.

There's another possibility: he has to defend his products. He has no other choice. I mean, he can't just come out and say, "yeah, we got nothin folks so you can all go run back to your iPhones and iPads." No CEO could say that in public. It's his job to sell what Microsoft brung to the market. If he doesn't defend Microsoft in public, the Board will certainly have grounds to fire him.

Still, I miss the sweaty "monkey boy dance" of classic Ballmer, when they were on top of the world.
  • Reply 54 of 218
    Reality check for Steve:

AAPL $298.54

MSFT $24.83

Eat your heart our Steve!
  • Reply 55 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikewadner View Post

I just cannot stand it anymore - reading or listening to anything Steve Ballmer says is beyond belief. He has got to be the biggest loser of a CEO that roams the face of this earth.

Maybe you should learn to read then, as the headline does not reflect what he said.
  • Reply 56 of 218
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Yeah Microsoft means something to me. Microsoft = piece of shit.
  • Reply 57 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

He never sounds like he actually spends a lot of time in the real world...

His exposure to Apple is limited to questions from the press, and his employee's iPhones that seem to always end up under his shoe in bits and pieces.
  • Reply 58 of 218
    Ballmer is seriously out of touch with reality. This is what happens to CEO's who insulate themselves too long. Same thing happened with Scott McNealy at Sun. Until Microsoft's BOD takes decisive action, they will continue to hobble along with a broken strategy. The corks must be popping in Cupertino!
  • Reply 59 of 218
    When he says, the Microsoft name means something, he is right. To me it means: Stay away from it as far as you can.

As far as tablet computers go: We tried to use them at one of my previous employers as a product for our clients. We had iPaqs (Compaq/HP) running WinCE, then renamed to PocketPC, then renamed to Windoze Mobile - never caught on, too flaky, much too heavy on battery.

Next, we introduced Tablet PCs from Toshiba and several others in a 10'' screen format with stylus and keyboard (remeber those fancy laptops where the screen could turn around 180° and you could have that flat laptop with the screen facing outward?). Never caught on either.

Years passed and the only PDA that ever worked was the Newton. Then, the iPad arrived and suddenly, everybody and his brother scrambles to make a copy. So far, nobody got one that works and I doubt, they'll get it right. Android OS? Nah, that's just Linux on with a pretty face and the face isn't pretty enough to hide all the issues (battery life, speed, applications, crashes, just to name a few that I see daily from my co-workers with their Droids and HTCs and Samsungs and such).

And now, Windows Phone 7 .... aw{ful|some} - to be determined, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed, I'll stick to my iPhone 4.

Afterthought: Will I be able to synch data with my Mac or via MobileMe with that phone from Micro$oft or am I left in the dark and have to find some expensive non-functioning 3rd party solution once again? At least, with Android, I can synch via Google...
  • Reply 60 of 218
    Agreed about the quotes taken out of context.

On another note, the statement that there are more ipads than he'd like to see is classless. It is a sad state when you need a competitor to fail in order for you to succeed