Apple's latest iOS 4.2 beta adds SMS tones, disables some AirPlay features

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Whether they're just testing new SMS tones for now or are really including these, we don't and can't know. Maybe a wholly different set will appear in the final version.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

And no new Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta? The last public beta was version 10H548 issued almost 2 weeks ago.

Apple should hire new software programmers and train them over the next 2 years for the high quality standards of Apple instead of slowing down the development of all the software projects Apple is involved with.

There are a number of Apple Pro applications which have not made the transition to Cocoa 64 bit programming or whose interface has not been reviewed and unified. iTunes needs to be modular and simplified instead of being an all-in-one storefront and digital media reader with constant updates.

Mac OS X needs to support natively the most popular lossless audio formats such as APE, FLAC and WavePack instead of being restricted to WAVE and Apple lossless. Just like VLC Media Player and the VLC Web browser plugin, Mac OS X needs to support natively the Windows Media Audio format used by many internet radio stations. And on, and on, and on...

Apple has opened up several new market segments over the last 5 years, but has not hired and trained enough new software programmers to develop iOS, Mac OS X, Mac OS X applications and Apple Pro applications.

Yea, Apple really needs to cater to all the illegal music you download in lossless.

You tell 'em..

( don't even argue, FLAC needs are limited unless all you do is download whole albums from people sharing them)
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

whats needed really is the option to assign on a per contact basis "silent" mode.

It won't help you for SMS messages but you can create a ringtone of 30 seconds of silence and assign it to the contacts you're not interested in hearing from.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

whats needed really is the option to assign on a per contact basis "silent" mode.

If you have access to GarageBand this is easy to do. You create an empty ringtone called "Silent" and then assign that to the contacts you want. I collect all the wrong numbers I get into a contact called "Wrong Number" and then assign it the Silent ring so I don't ever get bothered by those second (or third) calls from the same wrong number.

This works best if vibrate is off so that the Silent ringtone is truly silent.

If you don't have GarageBand or access to it, just googling "silent m4r" might find you some silent rings others have made that you can use.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:

support natively the most popular lossless audio formats such as APE, FLAC and WavePack instead of being restricted to WAVE and Apple lossless. Just like VLC Media Player and the VLC Web browser plugin, Mac OS X needs to support natively the Windows Media Audio format used by many internet radio stations. And on, and on, and on...

I'm not going to speak for OS/X, but Apple limits the codecs to ones that can be hardware accelerated, provide high quality, can be DRM'd and are space (and bandwidth) efficient.

Like with Flash and other technologies they don't care for, they don't support them in the hopes that they will die off and disappear.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:

Apple should...iTunes needs...Mac OS X needs...And on, and on, and on...

On and on indeed. Maybe Apple just doesn't agree with you.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

( don't even argue, FLAC needs are limited unless all you do is download whole albums from people sharing them)

Really? Seems to me FLAC is the preferred format for all of the high quality audiophile studios who SELL the albums online in higher bitrates than antiquated CD's can handle. FLAC is also a big portion of the legal live concert recordings that are shared on line by many bands.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I know! That's comedy. Who really values the opinions of anyone bent out of shape about a changed icon? The old one was fine. The new one is fine.

Tell that to the CEO of GAP!
  • Reply 29 of 37
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

I find all the new ones are just too long to use for SMS alerts though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

I can't stand long alert tones. I hope if that's the case, Apple will work on them some more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i suspect these new tones are just for testing purposes because they all sound horrible! i much prefer Tri-tone for SMS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Those are the most horrible new text message sounds ever. They should be 1 second at most, not 5 or 6 like some of them. Just horrible.

The new SMS alert sounds don't seem usable for all texts --

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

You can assign text tones to individual contacts. That was added in a previous beta.

-- in this context, they make more sense. Assign the longest and loudest to the work server "contact." I don't want an annoying "wake me up" tone for every single SMS.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    I liked Apple's choice of only a select few tones. They were short and noninvasive. I detest custom tones and music tones. Since so many have poor phone etiquette, I'm constantly hearing 30 seconds of Ke$sha every time a girl on campus gets a text (which is every other 30 seconds).

Apple's new tones are too long for my taste. I want a beep or two, check it, move on. Not a cacophony of text alerts. If the alert sound is longer than the text message itself, it's a fail in my book. If you like custom tones, fine, but please put your phone on silent in close public spaces, pleassssse!

And I'm so glad others here agree with me!
  • Reply 31 of 37
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    How about adding a "Ringer off" indicator on the status bar so you don't have to keep looking on the side of the phone to see if the switch has been moved?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    If that Gizmodo video is for real, the SMS alerts are terrible!

Too LONG, too cartoony, too obtrusive.

I will go mental hearing one of those tones each time I get texted.

Just let us create our own. How/Why is that such a problem?

What do Droid/Blackberry/Nokia text alerts sound like?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Dear Steve,

We don't need MORE SMS tones. We need CUSTOM SMS tones.

And text to speech alerts...

"Call from..."

"Text from..."

Thanks,

The World
  • Reply 34 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They won't make the final build. Call me confident. They are that bad. Not to mention, they don't sound at all like text tones, in the baddest of senses.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

What do Droid/Blackberry/Nokia text alerts sound like?

Well on my old Nokia E65, I can set the text alert to anything I want.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Some people love to flaunt some people mostly silent their phone... That's why we in Indonesia love to put custom ringback tone/pulse. XD.

But, it does seemed like a late catching up.. Ah well...
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

those are the most horrible new text message sounds ever. They should be 1 second at most, not 5 or 6 like some of them. Just horrible.

+1...