T-Mobile loses iPhone exclusivity in Germany at hands of O2 and Vodafone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Deutsche Telekom's multi-year run as the exclusive provider of Apple's iPhone in Germany under its T-Mobile subsidiary will officially come to an end in the next few weeks, evidence suggests.

O2's German website now features an early registration page for customers seeking more information on the availability of the iPhone 4 from the carrier. "The latest news and everything to know about the iPhone 4 on O2 can be found exclusively on this page," the website says. " Simply sign up quickly and always be informed."

Meanwhile, the local website of Vodafone has similarly seen an "iPhone Pre-Registration" link appear in the upper, left-hand sidebar, taking shoppers to this page where they can sign up to hear more about the iPhone 4 pricing and availability information as soon as it becomes available.

According to at least one report, availability of the iPhone 4 on Vodafone's German network will start on Wednesday, October 27th, with prices for the handset coming in as low as 1 euro when purchased alongside a high-end service plan that fetches roughly 120 euros per month.

Vodafone's rumored pricing tier includes a 45 euro per-month option that would price the handset at roughly 160 euros, though its unclear if those prices are in reference to the 16 or 32GB model. A similar, yet unconfirmed, pricing spec sheet for O2's iPhone offerings can be seen here.

For T-Mobile, the announcements mark the end of a three-year exclusive in Germany, where the carrier has been Apple's lone authorized wireless provider since November of 2007. Since then, it's reported that the carrier has amassed sales of nearly 2 million units, though officials contend that they could have sold "tens of thousands" more had Apple not run into supply problems immediately following the launch of the iPhone 4 a few months ago.

Word of Apple's cooperation with new carriers in Germany comes as the iPhone maker is believed to be plotting a broader global expansion of the device's addressable market through the release of a model capable of running on CDMA networks early next year.

Thus far, the company is believed to be in talks with U.S.-based Verizon, China-based China Telecom, and India's Reliance Communications and Tata Teleservices, over sales of the device, to name a few.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    I'm going to give Verizon a chance to announce the iPhone in January. After that, if no news, then I just go get the iPhone 4 on ATT. I'm waiting... because I am sick of not having service at school in the middle of Orange County!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Hopefully T-Mobile USA will be next to be shown some love from Apple
  • Reply 3 of 11
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

Next year, Apple have to do this everywhere.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

You know what? I would be totally happy with T-Mobile, or Sprint. I just don't care- I want an alternative to ATT.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I'm going to give Verizon a chance to announce the iPhone in January. After that, if no news, then I just go get the iPhone 4 on ATT. I'm waiting... because I am sick of not having service at school in the middle of Orange County!

Have you asked anyone at your school who has an iPhone 4 how the reception is? I am also in OC and I get reception everywhere except inside solid concrete and metal buildings it can get a little iffy.

Reason I ask is that iPhone 4 gets way better reception than any other phone on AT&T presumably due to the unique antenna design and also assuming you hold it correctly. Check it out, you may be surprised that the signal is adequate now.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Have you asked anyone at your school who has an iPhone 4 how the reception is? I am also in OC and I get reception everywhere except inside solid concrete and metal buildings it can get a little iffy.

Reason I ask is that iPhone 4 gets way better reception than any other phone on AT&T presumably due to the unique antenna design and also assuming you hold it correctly. Check it out, you may be surprised that the signal is adequate now.

I did- two of my friends have the 4 and it gets the same reception at Chapman Law as my 3gs. It's doubly sad because another friend taunts us with his verizon phone that has full bars throughout the campus, in buildings and out. I think ti might be a cdma v gsm thing, but I'm not sure. I am waiting to see what happens in January, then I will just break down and get the iPhone 4
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree T-Mobile rocks (as far as cell phone providers go). I am using a 3GS on T-Mobile now and coverage is great. I'd like to upgrade though to version 4 of the Iphone and won't do it unless T-Mobile gets it or I can buy a used version I can unlock. Verizon might have great coverage, but they nickle and dime you, steal from you (hidden fees), and have horrible customer service.

Quote:

• Reply 8 of 11
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    It will be interesting to see, if this moves anything in the long run. While both new competitors have not published tariffs yet, massive rumors do not indicate any real benefits for the consumers. Basically it looks like Vodafone offers will be about identical to the existing T-Mobile plans and O2 will offer less for less (less data, less subsidies). The only new developments are that O2 will offer unlocked models (but you have to pay the full price in advance or in monthly installments) and that T-Mobile will improve the existing tariffs (some of them quite a bit).

Also, the new contenders will not right away offer everything that T-Mobile already has in place, like support for Visual Voicemail and optional tethering add on tariffs...

Bottom line (as all three carriers have basically identical network quality and coverage in most places), there is no big change at all. Vodafone and O2 might lose less customers from now on, but otherwise there is nothing really new.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Bottom line (as all three carriers have basically identical network quality and coverage in most places), there is no big change at all. Vodafone and O2 might lose less customers from now on, but otherwise there is nothing really new.

You are right on stating the facts and your opinions are your opinions, I simply disagree with them.

I have been waiting for 2 Months to get it from O2. Full price. Then I am without a contract (actually O2 0 with 40 EUR Airbag), and can also use any other card/provider in other country when traveling. (Yes I could have bought import from Italy or UK, but I was not ready to pay additional 150-200 EUR, when I could simply wait this couple of months, using older model).

Also, why O2 should lose "less" costumers? You describe it in negative terms.

They are going to have actually more costumers. I am one of them - run from Telekom.

And with their aggressive marketing for "O2 0" they are going to get even more clients. I know other people who has switched to O2 but I have not heard from my friends that they switched from O2 to Telekom.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

I have been waiting for 2 Months to get it from O2. Full price. Then I am without a contract (actually O2 0 with 40 EUR Airbag), and can also use any other card/provider in other country when traveling. (Yes I could have bought import from Italy or UK, but I was not ready to pay additional 150-200 EUR, when I could simply wait this couple of months, using older model).

Also, why O2 should lose "less" costumers? You describe it in negative terms.

They are going to have actually more costumers. I am one of them - run from Telekom.

And with their aggressive marketing for "O2 0" they are going to get even more clients. I know other people who has switched to O2 but I have not heard from my friends that they switched from O2 to Telekom.

Well, I got mine from Italy and it was actually less expensive than what O2 is going to charge (assuming the rumored rates are accurate). Since Apple is now honoring the warranty issued in other EU countries, this is now also quite risk-free to do.

The rumored O2 rates all show data being reduced to GPRS speeds when exceeding 300 MB per month, they have no Visual Voicemail, they do not give you free turn by turn navigation software... quite a few items that will bug potential buyers. If you do the math: adding the purchase price for the phone and ?40 per month on top of it, you end up paying more for less. The comparable T-Mobile tariff is only ?60 now, and will be ?50 from early November (including a subsidy for the phone). It includes 1GB data, navigation software, there is a tethering option... the only argument for the O2 model is using local providers when abroad... I agree that this is important for a few people, but the majority does not even think about it and business travelers do not really care how much the company has to pay...

I was putting it negatively, because it is a fact that O2 and Vodafone have been losing high revenue customers to T-Mobile for three years now, but especially since the 3G arrived. Yes, both carriers imported iPhones from other countries to keep their top customers, but wait times have been fairly extreme and most gadget lovers want new things right away.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Meeresstille!