Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 41 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Unless you've got some seriously obscure hardware (and it seems likely this is your whole problem), only a dufus would run Leopard instead of Snow Leopard if the hardware they have can support Snow Leopard at all. It's faster and far more stable and it includes all the drivers from Leopard anyway.

Have you considered that he may have a Power PC based Mac and therefore not been able to upgrade to Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 42 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mactommy View Post

I use iDVD every week for the High School Band. I make end of the year video for the band and all the parents want DVD's. Why does Apple think the we don't need DVD's? I use Final Cut Express for my editing so what am I to use? Apple wont sell DVD Studio Pro outside of Final Cut. Video is not all on line yet even though I post lot's of video to youtube. People still like DVD's. Why can't Apple at lease make a DVD Studio Express for those that still need this capability.

I don't think that they will get rid of the functionality; they will just integrate it into iMovie '11. The need for a singular application to do this one task is not that great from a design perspective.
  • Reply 43 of 291
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I guess Lion makes sense. Probably one of the few (commonly known) species of big cat they haven't used. I guess they haven't used many others either (Lynx, Wildcat, Cougar, Bobcat to name a few, however a Cougar is in the Puma family and Bobcat is in the Lynx family). Soon they'll have to resort to domesticated breeds after that (i.e. OSX - Manx).

Anyone know why they chose cats to name their OS's? Too bad they didn't release 10.7 in March, would have made for good marketing, "March goes in like a Lion..." Or did the release date as October 7th.

There is always the African Serval. Can jump 12feet high from a stand still. Serval sounds very similar to Server. After all, OS X is based off of server technologies
  • Reply 44 of 291
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

It can be on any monitor you wish!
  • Reply 45 of 291
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Mac OS X 10.7 King of the Jungle?
  • Reply 46 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Great to finally get some substantive news about Mac OS X 10.7. Was iLife and iWork 11 actually mentioned in the press release, or is that just speculation?

There was no press release, just an e-mailed invitation to a media event.

Apple's media invitations do not describe what the subject matter will be. They're just teasers with a few words and an image. The time, date and location are the only details.

Re-read the original article. It is clear that AppleInsider is just speculating.
  • Reply 47 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That really doesn't work with a 2x2 monitor orientation. One thing I've always liked about the Mac (even before switching) is that the menu exists on the top of the first monitor vs. a menu for each individual application window.

It isn't stuck on the first monitor you can relocate it to any monitor you wish, this has always been so on OS X.
  • Reply 48 of 291
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    While iChat is a standalone application, I seem to recall it is distributed with the OSX packages. I'd be a little surprised if AAPL decided to delay making iChat work with Facetime until a release of OSX 10.7 that seems still some months away. I'm sort of on the edge (!) of upgrading my iPhone 3G to iPhone 4, and this feature might push me over. Guessing there is a Grand Strategy(tm) about this in Cuppertino.

And will OSX 10.7 come in white?
  • Reply 49 of 291
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It isn't stuck on the first monitor you can relocate it to any monitor you wish, this has always been so on OS X.

I think he's referring to without going into system prefs and moving it.
  • Reply 50 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Man, I was hoping for Mac OS X Bay Cat.

I am waiting for the Maine Coon.
  • Reply 51 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I think he's referring to without going into system prefs and moving it.

Oh ok. Snag there is some times these things can happen by accident if too easy.
  • Reply 52 of 291
    Quote:

But only on one monitor. With the advent of very large screens - and multiple monitors - navigating from the window you're working in up to the top of the "primary" monitor is time consuming and a bit of a pain. It's not too bad if you can "throw" the pointer and have it stop at the top, but then you have to get back down to where you were working.

I'd be interested in Tog's thoughts on this subject.

Speaking of Tog: http://www.asktog.com/columns/079BentoSchmento.html

Hmmm....

- Jasen.
  • Reply 53 of 291
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

There was no press release, just an e-mailed invitation to a media event.

Apple's media invitations do not describe what the subject matter will be. They're just teasers with a few words and an image. The time, date and location are the only details.

Re-read the original article. It is clear that AppleInsider is just speculating.

Right?'press release' was too strong a phrase. I have searched around, and can find nothing substantive about iLife or iWork '11. That doesn't mean that those packages won't be in the media event. They were last updated in 2009.
  • Reply 54 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Have you considered that he may have a Power PC based Mac and therefore not been able to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Yes, but I ruled it out because he has said previously that he chose not to run it.
  • Reply 55 of 291
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kube View Post

I didn't make it clear. In the 'monitors' control panel you can drag the menu bar.

I believe a nice solution would be enable Spaces to be assigned to different monitors. This way every monitor will have its own menu bar and you can assign specific applications to run on specific monitor.
  • Reply 56 of 291
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    The Lion behind the Apple logo is just Apple letting the proverbial cat out of the bag.....

Aslan is an Apple fan.
  • Reply 57 of 291
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

The OP is referring to having the menu bar on multiple monitors *at once* - to which there us currently no 'fix'.
  • Reply 58 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Aslan is an Apple fan.

I love it!
  • Reply 59 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?

I read that they would make iDVD a separate download, a way of de-emphasizing it before they kill it or stop updating it.

Jobs has to hate optical media. They want you using AirPlay, not DVDs.

I also think iLife needs an app to make rich media books for iOS, especially the iPad. A book that might have a mix of photos and video on various pages that you swipe through on the iPad.
  • Reply 60 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mactommy View Post

I use iDVD every week for the High School Band. I make end of the year video for the band and all the parents want DVD's. Why does Apple think the we don't need DVD's? I use Final Cut Express for my editing so what am I to use? Apple wont sell DVD Studio Pro outside of Final Cut. Video is not all on line yet even though I post lot's of video to youtube. People still like DVD's. Why can't Apple at lease make a DVD Studio Express for those that still need this capability.

They will probably make iDVD still available in the current version via download, like they did when they updated to the current version of iMovie. They probably just won't update it and include it on the install disk anymore.