Intel posts record earnings, concedes iPad may affect revenue

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Not necessarily. They both need to be done equally well and complement each other. Apple hooks both pieces in such an intimate way that I doubt the other players will ever have a product that is truly polished both inside and out.

I think Intel discusses in private that they will never be able to compete with Apple with a well-built, finished product. They hope to market their products to basically everyone that hate's Apple, or that feel the iPad is too expensive.

After all, Intel just makes the CPU and other chipsets. They don't control what it goes into, and how the software is developed for it, and what kind of cheapo plastic they are going to use.

I sort of agree.

Yes, it's hardware and software working together, no doubt. However, Otellini seems to think that if you provide great hardware, everything else will fall into place. He wishes it were that easy.

I thought that maybe Windows Phone 7 might achieve that great symbiotic relationship, but didn't they just announce that 10,000 different phone makers are going to use their software? I just read the review on the new LG running WP7. It has a landscape keyboard running software that doesn't support landscape mode.

Doesn't sound like symbiosis to me.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ugh. I've owned INTC for a few years now, and stock is basically exactly where I bought it four years ago. I am getting quite tired of holding on to it.

I am still waiting for the market to see their growth opportunities. Perhaps there aren't much.....

INTC has been in slow retreat for the last 10 years... hence the worry about any further erosion to margins.

As someone else mentioned... the dividend... imo it's the only reason to own the stock.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ugh. I've owned INTC for a few years now, and stock is basically exactly where I bought it four years ago. I am getting quite tired of holding on to it.

I am still waiting for the market to see their growth opportunities. Perhaps there aren't much.....

Why didn't you sell in April when it was $24.40 like I did?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In all fairness, Intel is more of a partner of Apple than a competitor, unlike MS.

I don't know. Intel has only been doing business with Apple since they dumped PowerPC. Microsoft has been doing business with Apple going back to the days of the Apple II. But point well taken.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Why didn't you sell in April when it was $24.40 like I did?

You're either prescient or lucky. I think I know which......
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Classy. Ballmer could learn from Otellini.

Gold medal for you...