Apple's 'anti-sexting' patent generating big buzz

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

This reminds me of two old Dilbert cartoons... Kids always manage to find ways around parental controls if they're driven enough.

That is how sex works in real life, competition equals breeding success. There should be controls, those who can't figure a workaround get weeded out of the mating pool. The parents that don't use these tools are not preparing their children properly for adulthood. The kids that get passed demonstrate not only the ability to attract a mate, but also the cognitive skills to circumnavigate the locks and willingness to manage risk.

Now if only there was a way to stop those with gmail accounts from breeding with each other, then our species' evolution could continue without hinderance.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Ooh. A patent. Scary.

I've done a lot of patent illustration. Little of them ever end up being as 'scary' as they seem.. or even end up being at all.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

How sad America thinks this way. I guess pictures of many great master pieces are screwed. It reminds me of the morons wanting to cover Michelangelo sculpture.

I think you imagine some sort of prudish American attitude that creates these ideas. You are obviously misinformed... Americans have done all the real cool stuff that attracts a lot of sex.

The rest of the world's problem is being preoccupied with trying to have sex with Americans. Sorry that not everyone measures up, but you can't blame us for trying to be picky.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Why stop at SMS? E-mail could be filtered, too, but perhaps e-mail is already covered by another patent.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Please.. Like parental control features doesn't already exist on different devices.

This nothing more than parental controls. And possibly a feature 3rd party apps can use.

Don't see what big fuzz over this patent is all about.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The patent only applies to written communications, so I don't think that even qualifies as "sexting". Leave it to our crap pile media (and you're not helping, AI) to deliberately misinterpret the story in order to generate more salacious headlines to attract frustrated and bored readers. It's an old, weak game.

Sexting is suggestive texts or pictures. So it does qualify as sexting, it just doesn't encompass all of what sexting is.

Also, to others, just because kids will find ways around rules we set up as parents, doesn't mean we just stop setting up rules and boundaries. I would be a little (only a little) comforted to know it was that much harder for my teen to send raunchy messages to people or use as much foul language. I am no prude, but they don't need to be so foul mouthed in everything they do. Besides, lots of people use sexting-like messages to harass people, which is causing a lot of harm to today's youth.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Along the same lines, the technology could also force children to brush up on their grammar.... proper spelling...... punctuation, all based on a skill level set by their parents.

Grammar!? Spelling !!?? Punctuation!!!??? In texts!!!!????

youd hv btr lck tryg 2 gt kds 2 eat vgtbls 'n do thr hmwk
  • Reply 28 of 58
    "Apple patents are a dime a dozen"

They ARE?? I'll take twelve!
  • Reply 29 of 58
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I thought the sexting was sending explicit pictures to other teens.

"Sexting" is short for "sex texting".
  • Reply 30 of 58
    tom jtom j Posts: 16member
    Here's $1, I'll take 120 Apple patents please.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

Along the same lines, the technology could also force children to brush up on their grammar, requiring that messages include designated vocabulary words, proper spelling, as well as correct grammar and punctuation, all based on a skill level set by their parents.

"

If it helps prevent kids from typing ebonics, then I'm all for it.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Though why any kid would be given an iPhone is beyond me.

The kids I know are all teenagers. Whenever the cell phones are being shown about, the Android phones get oohs and ahs and the iPhones stay in the pocket.

I have no real information, FWIW that is what I have seen.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

The kids I know are all teenagers. Whenever the cell phones are being shown about, the Android phones get oohs and ahs and the iPhones stay in the pocket.

To steal a phrase, those with the iPhone, "speak softly and carry a big stick".
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Find a way to stop the camera from sending an image of a boob. (Well, unless it's our favorite boob - Ballmer).

Read the last paragraph:

Quote:

Although Tuesday's patent covers only text-based communications and not explicit imagery, Apple's intellectual property portfolio already contains face detecting technology that has since found its way into the company's iLife suite of digital lifestyle applications. As such, it's conceivable that particular technology could be adapted in time to detect other body parts, allow parents to pull the plug on all forms of "sexting."

Hmmmmmmm, can't take a pic at the art museum and send it to my friend because the phone censors boobies.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Hmmmmmmm, can't take a pic at the art museum and send it to my friend because the phone censors boobies.

Hmmmmmmm, are you afraid that your phone censors boobies, i.e., your mummy and daddy, won't let you?
  • Reply 36 of 58
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    What if you're a gardener?

• Reply 37 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I mean really filtering is something that was done like 20 years ago and in this case is an obvious adaptation to their hardware/software platform. Beyond the legal issue of the patent we also have the problem of this being totally stupid. Especially if directed at teens.

It is like half the country has forgotten what it was like to be a teen or what they got away with all those years ago. Then again maybe people are remembering what they got away with and find the need there in to punish their children for their past behavior. Worst How many parent actually understand what their children are speaking these days.

In the end they are patenting an appeal to ignorance.

Dave
  • Reply 38 of 58
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I mean really filtering is something that was done like 20 years ago and in this case is an obvious adaptation to their hardware/software platform. Beyond the legal issue of the patent we also have the problem of this being totally stupid. Especially if directed at teens.

It is like half the country has forgotten what it was like to be a teen or what they got away with all those years ago. Then again maybe people are remembering what they got away with and find the need there in to punish their children for their past behavior. Worst How many parent actually understand what their children are speaking these days.

In the end they are patenting an appeal to ignorance.

Dave

Dave - out of curiosity, do you have kids?

My opinion: the more tools Apple gives me to help protect my children from the rapidly degenerating 'culture' of American media, the better. MANY parents feel exactly the same way, and it has nothing to do with being prudish or wanting to 'punish' our children. The fact that Apple provides options to help us make their devices kid friendly is a huge positive in my mind with regard to Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    We should thank Apple for even considering something like this. Most everybody else is targeting

the older crowd with the money to spend.

Living in a world filling up with kids dying because of bullying. Or even embarrassing someone to the point of suicide. Apple understands their responsibility for all this advanced technology.

Sure some will consider this another way for Apple to interfere with their freedom. I am sure it will be possible for those to leave all the restrictions off, at least until something negative happens to them or their loved ones.

How anybody can see anything negative in this patent is beyond me.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Breaking: ESPN reports the Minnesota Vikings have just purchased an app with this technology.

Thanks alot!! I have beer all over my keyboard now!!