Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 161 of 291
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Oh my gosh ... from the picture it looks like we're looking at

OS 10.7 "Aslan"

Maybe I'm not recognizing an obvious hint, but I don't get how you connect the lion with Asia. Lions are the only big cat native to Africa. All the other big cats are from Asia or the Americas, AFAIK. What am I missing here?
  • Reply 162 of 291
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    and one other thing...

The "Cloud" liveth.
  • Reply 163 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Maybe I'm not recognizing an obvious hint, but I don't get how you connect the lion with Asia. Lions are the only big cat native to Africa. All the other big cats are from Asia or the Americas, AFAIK. What am I missing here?

Not Asian, but Aslan, the name of the lion in C.S. Lewis? The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. I had to look it up.
  • Reply 164 of 291
    Can we get all the lion jokes out of our system please?

Whoops I forgot Narnia!
  • Reply 165 of 291
    great post bob.
  • Reply 166 of 291
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

If you want to experience real pain, try two monitors on Windows. And if your really frisky, try three. Then try to mirror two displays on one while having a separate third. Trivial on the Mac (option drag one screen on top of another to mirror those two while leaving the third alone). Stuff I have taken for granted for *decades* on the Mac that Windows, even Windows 7, struggles to do well. I still run across video cards that won't play video embedded in PowerPoint on the second display. Freaking 2010 and some video cards/drivers choke on this under Windows. Yeah "diversity"!

BTW - here is an excellent solution for you: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/33264/secondbar

Although personally I prefer this solution, pioneered by early Mac accessory maker E Machines when people complained about having to go to the top of the screen for the menu bar on the first of the large 21" high resolution monitors back in the day - convert the menubar to a contextual menu: http://mac.brothersoft.com/dejamenu.html

Works even better than the menubar in every menu that Windows does, and ironically is how the NeXT OS that OSX is based on worked. Middle mouse button FTW
  • Reply 167 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?

The version you have right now?
  • Reply 168 of 291
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not Asian, but Aslan, the name of the lion in C.S. Lewis? The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. I had to look it up.

(headslap) Doh!

Thanks!
  • Reply 169 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

My parents are still running Leopard on Intel hardware because they refuse to throw away their perfectly good LaserWriter and buy a new printer. Snow Leopard does not speak AppleTalk.

Depending on which LaserWriter they have, it may still work as some LaserWriters also support LPD. Check out the link in the second post in this Apple discussion thread: http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...readID=2350879

edit: And even if it doesn't work as an LPD printer, your parents do realize you can pick up multi-function black and white laser printers that are not only faster than their laserwriter but will also duplex, scan fax as well as directly support ethernet for under $200?

I have a Canon 4370dn and it's routinely under $200. Cartridges are cheap too - $70 at costco - less than $0.04 a page.
  • Reply 170 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I can see your point of view I don't think you will find wide agreement in the Mac community nor at Apple.

Obviously Apple doesn't see a problem, but there are at least two alternatives to the single menu bar on one display - I posted them a little earlier in the thread. DejaMenu is my personal favorite.

Dual 27" displays here I come
  • Reply 171 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope the next version of iLife has a nice EPUB maker. Yes, Pages will export to EPUB but I would like something that will allow for adding sections and chapters.

Why wait for Apple? Try Sigil via Andy Ihnatko.
  • Reply 171 of 291
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Hopefully the new OS doesn't throw a wrench in every application I own again. After upgrading to Snow Leopard I had to repurchase 6 apps because Apple dropped support for some version of Java and my printer didn't work for 3 months.

I'll have to wait a bit longer before switching this time.

However, a Macbook Air with a smaller footprint would be a welcomed upgrade.
  • Reply 173 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The difference is, that apple always seems to have something real in its back pocket -- that it can pull out when it needs an announcement.

It's more than just pulling it out - often you can buy it before the announcement is over. At a minimum you can often fondle the shipping version after the event (if you are lucky enough to attend). Very rarely do they have non-functioning prototypes encased in rotating plastic...
  • Reply 174 of 291
    Woot!

Back to the Mac, people!

To those who always complaint Apple is spending too much time and resources on iDevices, eat your short! Mwuahaha....

• Reply 175 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarZen

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.

Cheshire!

• Reply 176 of 291
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balert View Post

I wasn't thinking that, I'm just upset that they are getting updated/ upgraded so soon after I bought one. The same thing happened when I bought my iMac G5; the Intel iMacs were released a week later. Such is my luck.

Replaced, meaning: updated. Not happening. Relax.
  • Reply 177 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balert View Post

I just bought a Macbook Pro last night... I knew this would happen. :/

Your within your 15 days - if an update does materialize.
  • Reply 178 of 291
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

I don't care for 3D.

I want real fixes like decent mouse-tracking software and a better window-zoom button. Heck, simply chnaging the zoom button to fullscreen would be great.
  • Reply 179 of 291
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I hope so!
  • Reply 180 of 291
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Your within your 15 days - if an update does materialize.

What 15 days?