Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 181 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What 15 days?

You have 14 days to return it for a refund. If you've opened it, you get the refund minus 15% of the cost as a restocking fee.
  • Reply 182 of 291
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I'm thinking that the Mac Pros and even the iBooks will go down in price.

As far as the new Air. I think it is gonna be what Microsoft had wanted their Courier to be.

Also, Apple will probably bring out a new Bluetooth Remote with a few controls to make the AppleTV more user friendly to most of the complainers. They probably had that ready on the release of the ATV, but they waited for the GoogleTV's remote to come out at $299.00 for people

to not be to upset when they offer one under $150.00 with all the beauty of the small remote.

Also, FaceTime will be included in the new iLife. Time to start showing Skype how to do it right.
  • Reply 183 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juandl View Post

I'm thinking that the Mac Pros and even the iBooks will go down in price.

No new Mac Pro chips, so there's absolutely no reason for them to reduce the price. They stopped selling the iBook four years ago.
  • Reply 184 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't care for 3D.

I want real fixes like decent mouse-tracking software and a better window-zoom button. Heck, simply chnaging the zoom button to fullscreen would be great.

resolution independence is a must.

I hope they don't tweak the interface that much, I love aqua, and I hate the more subdued ones on itunes. I hope they've got a lot of feedback about itunes interface debacle where all is whited out in grey, and I hope they don't use it.

I thinks this is a crucial os for apple in that now they have to continue their superiority in a much broader user base and still retain the mac character of their os. It's tricky, it really is.
  • Reply 185 of 291
    Busted!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Dude if you are going to pinch my quote from MacRumors do me the honour of at least acknowledging it.

"Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing. "

• Reply 186 of 291
    LMAO... CNET writers think 10.7 will come on any new machines and ship in Nov.

Maybe the should practice asking questions like "do you want fries with that".
  • Reply 187 of 291
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You mean there not packed on elephants in large caravans?

The rumors out of the Orient suggest that's not the case anymore.
  • Reply 188 of 291
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not Asian, but Aslan, the name of the lion in C.S. Lewis? The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. I had to look it up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

(headslap) Doh!

Thanks!

He he - I got that one right off the bat. Clearly you guys don't have 8 year old girls running the show.
  • Reply 189 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

I have my Macbook Pro connected to two monitors.

I have relocated the menu bar on my main monitor (28") via System Preferences' Diplay panel.

I installed SecondBar. http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=79 and it puts a menu bar on my MacBook.

Unfortunately there isn't a ThirdBar yet.

And so I also installed DejaMenu; which works on all three monitors but I use it primarily on the second screen http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html
  • Reply 190 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I have my Macbook Pro connected to two monitors.

I have relocated the menu bar on my main monitor (28")

I installed SecondBar. http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=79 and it puts

Unfortunately their isn't a ThirdBar yet.

And so I also installed DejaMenu which works on all three monitors but I use it primarily on the second screen http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html

Uh, wrong thread?
  • Reply 191 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Dick, I had one too, one which I bought from Computer Plus ages ago. I used to get cartridges at Bay Area Data Supply and they were the least expensive. But time marched on and we then got a new Ethernet-capable LW in 1993, which was only recently replaced by a Brother networked MFC.

\t

To which I add:

...I just don't understand the postulate or its corollary...

- Scruffy Bum at Calif Av Train Station's Tangent

Geeze! Along with Mark Wozniak, and Jim McCann, my wife Lucy -- I owned Computer Plus!

PM me or whatever, your real name -- I was known as Mr. Lucy.

As to the postulate/corollary, it was an IBM inside joke -- working for IBM in Palo Alto, at the time...

Long story short... Standing in the IBM cafeteria one 7 AM, waiting to get a cup of fresh coffee for 25 cents.

A frazzeled guy walks in, stands in the line at the coffee machine to buy a half a cup of crap coffee for $1.

Why?
  • Reply 192 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, wrong thread?

Yes, can we get back to Ballmer?
  • Reply 193 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, wrong thread?

Got tide up and missed a few things as corrected above.
  • Reply 194 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I had a LaserWriter (an original White one)... Used it for years -- at one time it was Apple's most powerful computer.

But, I gave up the ghost in 2000-- the toner cartridges (even refills) were too damn expensive.

Bought mine the first day it was available. Cost me nearly 8 grand in Canada. But, along with Pagemaker, it more than paid for itself.

Heavier than hell. Gave it up in 2000 as well.
  • Reply 195 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Bought mine the first day it was available. Cost me nearly 8 grand in Canada. But, along with Pagemaker, it more than paid for itself.

Heavier than hell. Gave it up in 2000 as well.

Ha! Owen Tarranto, Comtroller of Adobe, walked into our Sunnyvale store with one of these 100-lb babies under his arm. The LaserWriter wasn't, yet, available.

He was followed a few minutes later by Bob Brown.

Bob sat in a booth with a Mac, directly connected to the LaserWriter through a serial port.

He keyed in native PostScript code -- and truely magical things happened -- beautiful art, shading and typography,

Bob did this for about a week... There were SRO crowds...

• Reply 197 of 291
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    So as a recent hobby developer for the Mac platform I'm also hoping for a final release of Xcode 4.0. Please...please...please!

That would make my day - err year.
  • Reply 198 of 291
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Have you considered that he may have a Power PC based Mac and therefore not been able to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Not if he is planning on getting 10.7.
  • Reply 199 of 291
    And this post makes 200
  • Reply 200 of 291
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

USB 3.0. Drop Firewire.

And can we get better sync services rather than through iTunes?

Z file system?

Please NOT!

USB is not an adequate substitute for Firewire and as we have seen in recent USB 3.0 specs it is all hype and very little substance. Nor is there much of a meaningful USB 3.0 market yet and likely never will be.

Far better that they finally upgrade to FW3200 across the board as they should have years ago. Better still, hopefully they will start the roll out of Light Peak, which is where we should all go anyway.