Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Comments

• Reply 201 of 291
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Mac OS X 10.7 being named "Lion" and "Back to the Mac" means Apple is trying to say, this is the last stronghold of the Mac being the Mac. Mac OS X 10.8 (hopefully named "Lynx" or "Cougar") will no longer be recognisable as a Mac OS but be very much Mac/iOS hybridised.

I strongly postulate the new iLife will be called iLife '12. There's no way it would be called '11 when there is only just over 2 months left in 2011. It's instant obsolescence naming it '11.

3a.

iDVD is gone, finished, bye-bye. It will be, like iMovie HD, just available for download but not included in the package. Since DVD is standard def, and Apple hates any physical media, iDVD is bye-bye.

3b.

There will never be BluRay on the Mac, not while Steve is still in charge.

MacBook Air will be Apple's entry into the netbook space without calling it a netbook (well, it will be far from a netbook)... There is a clear demand on both sides of the 11" equation. The iPad is great, but Apple can't make enough of it. The MacBook Air fits a need for a "real computer" but right now is too big, too heavy and too expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the MacBook Air was an early AMD Fusion chip, or maybe it will "just" be a ULV Core i3.

My predictions.
  • Reply 202 of 291
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

MacBook Air will be Apple's entry into the netbook space without calling it a netbook (well, it will be far from a netbook)... There is a clear demand on both sides of the 11" equation. The iPad is great, but Apple can't make enough of it. The MacBook Air fits a need for a "real computer" but right now is too big, too heavy and too expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the MacBook Air was an early AMD Fusion chip, or maybe it will "just" be a ULV Core i3.

I hope you're right, as long as Apple sees fit to actually make the new MBA at least feature competitive with current netbooks.
  • Reply 203 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

Please NOT!

USB is not an adequate substitute for Firewire and as we have seen in recent USB 3.0 specs it is all hype and very little substance. Nor is there much of a meaningful USB 3.0 market yet and likely never will be.

Far better that they finally upgrade to FW3200 across the board as they should have years ago. Better still, hopefully they will start the roll out of Light Peak, which is where we should all go anyway.

FW800 and USB 2.0 will be maintained on the MacBook Pro line for probably another 6 months at least. Maybe mid-2011 we'll see USB 3.0 if most chipsets have that, it will be a simple incremental upgrade.
  • Reply 204 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not Asian, but Aslan, the name of the lion in C.S. Lewis? The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. I had to look it up.

You had to look it up? Tsk tsk Narnia is a pretty popular movie series (well, two so far, one more coming soon)...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TRRosen View Post

LMAO... CNET writers think 10.7 will come on any new machines and ship in Nov. Maybe the should practice asking questions like "do you want fries with that".

Macbook Air will be shipping in November. 10.7 will come at the earliest January, more likely March. No way Apple is going to try and do iOS 4.2 and something massive like 10.7 at the same time. That's corporate suicide.
  • Reply 205 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I hope you're right, as long as Apple sees fit to actually make the new MBA at least feature competitive with current netbooks.

Well it will never come down to netbook prices, I see a drop to $1099 at the very best, $1299 more likely.

As for features, well, in a 11" form factor and Apple's design aesthetics, we're looking at most two USB 2.0 ports, headphone/line-in combo, and miniDisplayPort. That's pretty much it.

Though Apple can surprise, they could be lining up this MacBook Air to be *the* blockbuster Mac this holiday season and squeeze the netbook market from both ends, iPad on one end and MacBook Air on the other).
  • Reply 206 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I've always thought Lion would be reserved for the last iteration of OSX.

We could be talking about OSXI three years from now.

Mobile computing products are going to become much more powerful over the next couple years and touch screens will likely sneak into the mac lineup. Apple may want to have a single OS rule all their devices (with UI's appropriate for the input method of course). Microsoft seems intent on creating touch UI's for Windows, with Windows 8 promising to be much more tablet friendly. Apple will likely go the same way (but actually do it right).

Note: I'm not saying iOS is coming to the desktop, I'm suggesting they will take the best elements from OSX and iOS and incorporate them into a new OS. "Lion" will probably introduce/test a lot of the features before having a true unified OS in the next update.

Yeah, I agree. 10.7 is the last line in the sand before everything goes hybrid iOS/OSX. With something like a MacBook Air running 10.8 being able to switch between iOS and OSX for best of both worlds. I don't think 10.7 will do this, though it would be super cool if it did. 10.8 in 2013 hybrid iOS/OSX.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iDVD will be dropped, iChat will be dropped, new app added to iLife will be called Facetime!

Facetime will get chat support.

Probably won't happen, but would be cool if it did..

Nah, I think they'll keep iChat but just incorporate FaceTime into it. iDVD is dropped for shure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

Please Apple ! Please Apple, PLEASE APPLE ! REMOVE THE %&*$ DRIVE FROM YOUR PORTABLE !! I don't need, I don't want any drive on a portable ! Geez !

Er, no, I think. MacBook and MacBook Pro should continue to have DVD drives at least to the end of 2011.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Er, no, I think. 3D is a scam by the movie studios being bled dry by piracy and by churning out absolutely rubbish movies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk

Dude if you are going to pinch my quote from MacRumors do me the honour of at least acknowledging it.

"Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing. "

Yup, Apple just flipped Blammer the BIRD. Or, Lion, in this case.
  • Reply 207 of 291
    Quote:

I strongly postulate the new iLife will be called iLife '12. There's no way it would be called '11 when there is only just over 2 months left in 2011. It's instant obsolescence naming it '11.

OH JEEZUS I time-travelled there for a bit. Next year is 2011.

LOLS of course it will be iLife '11.

Can't wait for the end of the world in 2012...!!

• Reply 208 of 291
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    SL runs like a charm, faster than L. No gfx issues here.

Really, you can install it without problems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

OS Leo next year?

Snow Leopard will be the first version of Apple OS that I've skipped since 7.4 and vanilla X.

I hope they figure out their graphics issues in Leo... Or how to write a driver... Or how to make a phone call to the people who write drivers.

Hey Steve, if your reading this... Drivers... We need drivers!!!

• Reply 209 of 291
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The original Mac OS 7 was very popular and some people stayed loyal to it for years. Windows 7 was also quite popular. Will OS X 10.7 be a success too? Is the 8th major release of an OS the magic number to come up with something people really "love?"
  • Reply 210 of 291
    Quote:

Well it will never come down to netbook prices, I see a drop to $1099 at the very best, $1299 more likely.

As for features, well, in a 11" form factor and Apple's design aesthetics, we're looking at most two USB 2.0 ports, headphone/line-in combo, and miniDisplayPort. That's pretty much it.

Though Apple can surprise, they could be lining up this MacBook Air to be *the* blockbuster Mac this holiday season and squeeze the netbook market from both ends, iPad on one end and MacBook Air on the other).

I would not expect Apple to go with cut rate pricing, I'm referring specifically to the features. My $250 netbook has 3 USB ports, an ethernet port, HDMI out, headphone, SD card slot and a 3G SIM slot. I most certainly would expect a $1300 machine to at least compare favorably to that. If they can't at least add SD and 3G, they definitely should not bother.
  • Reply 211 of 291
    Quote:

I would not expect Apple to go with cut rate pricing, I'm referring specifically to the features. My $250 netbook has 3 USB ports, an ethernet port, HDMI out, headphone, SD card slot and a 3G SIM slot. I most certainly would expect a $1300 machine to at least compare favorably to that. If they can't at least add SD and 3G, they definitely should not bother.

SD maybe. 3G, boy, I think that's going to be very unlikely. Yet another data plan-ATT-wrangling-whatchamacallit. And would that 3G be GSM/UMTS or also CDMA, etc..? MicroSIM?

Anyways, all will be revealed next week.
  • Reply 212 of 291
    Quote:

SD maybe. 3G, boy, I think that's going to be very unlikely.

Why? Netbooks have had this for a few years already. IMO, it's inexcusable that Apple doesn't have this in all their laptops already.
  • Reply 214 of 291
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Hopefully the new OS doesn't throw a wrench in every application I own again. After upgrading to Snow Leopard I had to repurchase 6 apps because Apple dropped support for some version of Java and my printer didn't work for 3 months.

I'll have to wait a bit longer before switching this time.

However, a Macbook Air with a smaller footprint would be a welcomed upgrade.

Care to name a single application that runs under leopard but not snow leopard? Let alone SIX..?
  • Reply 215 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?

DVD is dead. It is much easier (and better) to view the (H264) movie directly via quicktime (or VLC).
  • Reply 216 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Perhaps iDVDs features will be intergrated into iMovie '11

I think they need to remain available somewhere.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

There will be a program like iDVD that works with Apple TV rather than DVDs.

This makes more sense to me. An app to create an introduction screen linking to movies & chapters (like iDVD now), 'shared' either via DVD, AppleTV (like movie 'extras')... or a website or even BluRay?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

iChat to work with Facetime (obvious)

A Mac-based Facetime would get very interesting if it enabled facetime on your laptop whenever your phone (iPhone or other!) was in bluetooth range. So calls would come in via the laptop when you're near.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

True, but they need to present [Resolution Independence] in some version eventually, so why not Lion? It will be a very "Jobsian" thing to pop this in the sneak preview of the OS and urge all developers to ready their apps.

They've been urging developers for years... maybe they need to force the issue. And why wait for Lion to do that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

There will be no such thing as a 11.6" or 13" MacBook Air.

Instead, all Macbook Pros will lose their slot loading drive in favour of an increased battery life and better hard drives. This will actually be a major upgrade for the Macbook Pro family!

That makes a lot of sense!

But on the iOS note - what if we get an iOS 11" laptop which connects 'back to the Mac' when you want full fledged apps?

Oh and no-one has mentioned the new data center have they?
  • Reply 217 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

But on the iOS note - what if we get an iOS 11" laptop which connects 'back to the Mac' when you want full fledged apps?

IMHO, very unlikely. That 11" laptop has to be full-fledged OS X or it's going to be in a very confused space now that iPad is out.
  • Reply 218 of 291
    Quote:

Mac OS X 10.7 being named "Lion" and "Back to the Mac" means Apple is trying to say, this is the last stronghold of the Mac being the Mac.

There's really no possible way that you could deduce the latter using the former as your logic.

Quote:

Er, no, I think. MacBook and MacBook Pro should continue to have DVD drives at least to the end of 2011.

Should as in, 'we don't want them to, but they will,' not should as in, 'it's great and we love it.'

Quote:

Er, no, I think. 3D is a scam by the movie studios being bled dry by piracy and by churning out absolutely rubbish movies.

*slow clap* Well, at least until we get sub-$1,000 open-air holographic projection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The original Mac OS 7 was very popular and some people stayed loyal to it for years. Windows 7 was also quite popular. Will OS X 10.7 be a success too? Is the 8th major release of an OS the magic number to come up with something people really "love?"

Uh, you mean seventh major release, though, right?

Quote:

Why? Netbooks have had this for a few years already. IMO, it's inexcusable that Apple doesn't have this in all their laptops already.

Why? There isn't a single other company that has 3G capability in all of its laptops. Why the heck would I want to pay $60 a month for five gigabytes?
  • Reply 219 of 291
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Mac OS X 10.7 being named "Lion" and "Back to the Mac" means Apple is trying to say, this is the last stronghold of the Mac being the Mac. Mac OS X 10.8 (hopefully named "Lynx" or "Cougar") will no longer be recognisable as a Mac OS but be very much Mac/iOS hybridised.

Back to Mac means that they've been talking iOS and devices all year and now it's time to talk about the Mac.

Quote:

There are two possibilities.

1. I overslept a whole year.

2. You don't know the current year.
  • Reply 220 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Rumour has it this will be the first Macs with 3D displays.

Quote:

You had to look it up? Tsk tsk Narnia is a pretty popular movie series (well, two so far, one more coming soon)?

I knew it sounded it familiar and had read at least one book as a child and seen the old and new movies. Hey, at least I look stuff up when I don?t know the answer.

Quote:

Macbook Air will be shipping in November. 10.7 will come at the earliest January, more likely March. No way Apple is going to try and do iOS 4.2 and something massive like 10.7 at the same time. That's corporate suicide.

That?s certainly reasonable, and I think Apple learned a hard lesson when they tried to release iPhone OS 2.0, the iPhone 3G and MobileMe all the at same time. However, if v4.2 is wrapping up and 10.7 gets pushed to devs right away for the lull during the Holiday months when nothing is released, with the next major beta update coming in 2011. I think they have done something like that before. They don?t even need even focus on 10.7, though 4.2 does look like it?s pretty solid now. That said, I think your scenarios more likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

SL runs like a charm, faster than L. No gfx issues here.

Really, you can install it without problems.

The last reports I read actually had the graphics in SL being worse than in Leopard. This isn?t completely unexpected as it?s comparing the latest and most stable version of Leopard to the current version of SL. Of course, that should change with each point update and there are certainly more than enough advancements in other areas that make SL a much better option for most users.

Quote:

If pricing mostly or solely based on the number of ports a device has then that would be accurate, but ti doesn?t. The MBA has a processor that is more costly than your entire netbook.
    LV/uLV Intel® CoreTM2 Duo processor Mobile (uFCBGA6/uFCBGA8)

SL9600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2.13 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $316

SL9400 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 1.86 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $284

Intel® AtomTM processor Nettop/Netbook (FCBGA8)

D525 (1M cache, 2 Cores, 4 Threads, 1.80 GHz, FSB 45nm) $63

D425 (512K cache, 1 Cores, 2 Threads, 1.80 GHz, FSB 45nm) $42
    You are comparing two very different systems with very different focuses for their respective markets.

If you note that most parts are much higher quality and/or are more specialized than any netbook you can see where the price comes from. Note the Core-i7s in that TDP range cost even more money than the C2Ds Apple has used since the MBA was created.