Apple's iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon stores on October 28th

Comments

• Reply 41 of 125
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

So this is how it begins...

lol

I pads are going to be everywhere, we are going to have to watch our step and not trip over one of them.
  • Reply 42 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, does this mean we will never see a CDMA iPad? What does that mean for the rumored CDMA iPhone? If Apple was planning for a CDMA iPhone, why wouldn't they also create a CDMA iPad?

If I were Verizon and were in talks with Apple for an iPhone I?d certainly try to get a CDMA/EV-DO iPad thrown into the deal. it?s not as if it?s a touch build for Apple, even relatively speaking.
  • Reply 43 of 125
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! I can understand AT&T selling iPads that work on their network, but I?m surprised that Verizon would sell WiFi iPads to promote their MiFi products. Just how big is this iPad thing anyway?

Perhaps the tentative first steps towards the two companies playing nice together?
  • Reply 44 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Damn, I didn't think I would get that much negative reaction. I just don't like carrying two devices.

You're on a website largely populated by gadget-crazed pubescent boys. They think the more gadgets, the better.
  • Reply 45 of 125
    Quote:

5 devices will only chew up your data usage that much faster. Verizon will be happy, so will 4 of your cheapest friends.

HA! True! It's an option, though. And hopefully a foundation for an iPhone.

I haven't once gotten close to the 5 GB allowed on my Pre as a MH. That is with some sharing, as well as work when our network goes down (but the VPN is up).

Well, that and my 24 character passcode for it....

• Reply 46 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Perhaps the tentative first steps towards the two companies playing nice together?

I think that is a distinct possibility.
  • Reply 47 of 125
    Quote:

Verizon solution does not include an iPad with a GPS chip (it is not the 3G model). Also, that MiFi can only last 4 hours.

When pressing on the location button, the iPad uses the mifi to accurately find where you are, just like a gps. Also the WiFi iPad's follow you on the road just like a gps, after you have connected on a wireless network. So in turn, the mifi can be used as your gps, and the ipad wifi itself, after connected wirelessly and located, and leave that wireless network the blue dot on the map will follow you. I dont know how it works, but it does because it works on mine. and also my 2g iTouch...
  • Reply 48 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Ugh. Ok, we get it - Steve Jobs wants to associate the words 'iPad' and 'magic' together at every opportunity. A year from now this will have all the cachet of glitter rainbow posters.

Apple, please find a different way to describe this product.

How about "always delightful and wonderfully mine"?
  • Reply 49 of 125
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

While you are focusing on Verizon only, you do see the same exact issue on AT&T, right? Not to mention AT&T's $15 plan is 250 MB.

Just bought a virgin mobile mifi. 149 at best buy and 40 dollars unlimited and no long-term contracts - use it for a month and not the next. Uses sprint network though and does not support roaming.
  • Reply 50 of 125
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

The MiFi isn't iPad-only. With that you can connect your laptop, ipod touch, ipad, and whoever else you might wanna connect (up to 5).

Plus, one big key the article misses is the data plans for Verizon

$20 for 1GB

$35 for 3GB

$50 for 5GB

I'm looking on Verizon's site...where do you see those plan rates? I've been considering the Verizon MiFi to use either with an iPad or iPod touch, but the prices have always been prohibitive?

I'd also be curious to know if these special prices would include the use of the MiFi with any wi-fi device? There are ways to restrict its use to only the iPad they sell you (by MAC address would be one way).

If buying an iPad from Verizon gets you these special MiFi rates, and you can still use it with other devices, that's a win.

Even more interesting is Verizon selling the 3G model! I wonder, once Verizon starts rolling out LTE (which I assume uses SIM cards?), could I put one of their SIM in an iPad?

EDIT: I see you provided a link in a later post. Interestingly, the first time I clicked on the FAQ button on the Verizon page, I got a different, much shorter, FAQ list.
  • Reply 51 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

When pressing on the location button, the iPad uses the mifi to accurately find where you are, just like a gps. Also the WiFi iPad's follow you on the road just like a gps, after you have connected on a wireless network. So in turn, the mifi can be used as your gps, and the ipad wifi itself, after connected wirelessly and located, and leave that wireless network the blue dot on the map will follow you. I dont know how it works, but it does because it works on mine. and also my 2g iTouch...

I don't think Cell Tower triangulation gets you anything close to a GPS chip. I have a Wifi only iPad.....it doesn't compare to my iPhone (or an iPad with GPS).
  • Reply 52 of 125
    Quote:

I think that is a distinct possibility.

it's more than a possibility, it's a certainty. Apple had to agree to let Verizon sell the iPad, they aren't doing that if they aren't going to sell the iPhone soon. I expect to see the verizon iPhone and iPad soon. i.e. an iPad that doesn't require a myfi.
  • Reply 53 of 125
    Quote:

I don't think Cell Tower triangulation gets you anything close to a GPS chip. I have a Wifi only iPad.....it doesn't compare to my iPhone (or an iPad with GPS).

Well yes, it is not a consistent location but im just saying it's something. Do you know why the iPad WIFI will sometimes triangulate itself when you are looking at maps while driving in the vehicle with no wifi internet connection? Mine has done is about a dozen times now.
  • Reply 54 of 125
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I think that is a misprint. I don't see any evidence on the Verizon site they are selling the 3G model.

Actually, the FAQ states they are only selling the WiFi, and not the WiFi+3G

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad_faq.jsp

Then that makes more sense one would think .. at least until Apple - Verizon really get their act together (if they do).
  • Reply 55 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm looking on Verizon's site...where do you see those plan rates? I've been considering the Verizon MiFi to use either with an iPad or iPod touch, but the prices have always been prohibitive?

I'd also be curious to know if these special prices would include the use of the MiFi with any wi-fi device? There are ways to restrict its use to only the iPad they sell you (by MAC address would be one way).

If buying an iPad from Verizon gets you these special MiFi rates, and you can still use it with other devices, that's a win.

Even more interesting is Verizon selling the 3G model! I wonder, once Verizon starts rolling out LTE (which I assume uses SIM cards?), could I put one of their SIM in an iPad?

EDIT: I see you provided a link in a later post. Interestingly, the first time I clicked on the FAQ button on the Verizon page, I got a different, much shorter, FAQ list.

You CAN use the MiFi with up to 5 devices. No, they aren't selling a 3G iPad. They're bundling the MiFi with the Wifi-only iPad at the same price as the 3G iPad. People who buy this bundle will be able to have a month-to-month contract for data just like AT&Ts.
  • Reply 56 of 125
    Quote:

Wow! I can understand AT&T selling iPads that work on their network, but I?m surprised that Verizon would sell WiFi iPads to promote their MiFi products. Just how big is this iPad thing anyway?

Aren't there some estimates of 50 million iPads per year floating around? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
  • Reply 57 of 125
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Aren't there some estimates of 50 million iPads per year floating around? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

And we ain't see nothin' yet!
  • Reply 58 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

You CAN use the MiFi with up to 5 devices. No, they aren't selling a 3G iPad. They're bundling the MiFi with the Wifi-only iPad at the same price as the 3G iPad. People who buy this bundle will be able to have a month-to-month contract for data just like AT&Ts.

Month-month is nice. Kind of unfortunate for us whom already posses a MiFi device though... Plus the pricing is nice. I would definitely downgrade my MiFi plan if I could ASAP
  • Reply 59 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman;

Verizon is going to automatically scoop up a ton of cash for the data plans because no one is going to be able to stay below 1gig a month. I investigated that mifi deal last winter for home use because i just moved and no friggen internet co would do an install in late november. I found that i would have quickly and easliy maxed out the 5gig in no time and at least at that time if you maxed out you would be out of data until the next month. I thought to myself that is nuts to get one if i run out. Shoot, i almost use a gig on the iPhone and there isnt even any files being transfered due to the fact that it isnt a computer that can send attachements other than the occassional photo sent to someone. Big deal if up to 5 other devices can get on the network, it will only mean running out of data quicker and before the end of the months plan.

Verizon is going to get a bunch of sheep in on the mifi thing and those good folks are going to slide into complacency when they get used to the fact that they are paying an additional $50 month.

Yup that's the plan. This is why where I am I switched to a telco that just throttles the speed when you go over your data for 3G on iPhone or iPad. I cannot stand extra charges nor worrying each time I use the Internet about how much data I'm using. Defeats the whole point of portable Internetz.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin;

I don't think the MiFi would restrict access to any particular device. It's just that the promo bundle sells you the MiFi and gives you a certain rate if you get the iPad.
  • Reply 60 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips;

And we ain't see nothin' yet!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich;

That's just about 4 million iPads per month to be sold globally... 50 million could be the minimum of what they will sell in 2011.