Apple's iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon stores on October 28th

Comments

• Reply 61 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Damn, I didn't think I would get that much negative reaction. I just don't like carrying two devices.

No problem, I don't like it as well, that's why I got an iPad 3G.

I just think the Verizon option is reasonable for people that prefer Verizon over ATT for whatever reason. More carriers is usually a good thing.
  • Reply 62 of 125
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

Here's the link in case someone's wondering:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad.jsp

That link will barely load, the server is so hammered. If this is any indication of how Verizon's network can handle the demand, it is just the announcement, what's going to happen when they get the actual device.
  • Reply 63 of 125
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

More choice is good, Verizon solution bad.

AT&T: For $629, I get the 3G+ WiFi model with a GPS Chip and free access to over 20,000 wireless hotspots.

Verizon: For $629, I only get the Wifi model (no GPS!) and I need to carry around a second device that only has a 4 hour capacity. No GPS, no free Wireless Hotspots. No thanks.

Verizon does have a Wireless Hotspot network, although it's not as extensive as ATT's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

When pressing on the location button, the iPad uses the mifi to accurately find where you are, just like a gps. Also the WiFi iPad's follow you on the road just like a gps, after you have connected on a wireless network. So in turn, the mifi can be used as your gps, and the ipad wifi itself, after connected wirelessly and located, and leave that wireless network the blue dot on the map will follow you. I dont know how it works, but it does because it works on mine. and also my 2g iTouch...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

Well yes, it is not a consistent location but im just saying it's something. Do you know why the iPad WIFI will sometimes triangulate itself when you are looking at maps while driving in the vehicle with no wifi internet connection? Mine has done is about a dozen times now.

Here is what I think is happening... although your iPad may not have a wi-fi connection, it can still detect wi-fi routers in the area. It then uses that information and via your MiFi 3G connection to the internet, it looks up your approximate location using the Skyhook database Apple has licensed (I think they still use that service?).

I doubt very much that the MiFi device is passing geolocation information to your iPad.
  • Reply 64 of 125
    Well, for all the people who wish they had bough AAPL "back then," it looks like this is going to be one of those windows! The iPad is bigger than the analysts are guessing-- and this is proof positive. Verizon offering competitive pricing is also pretty telling... possibly a very real affirmation of the Verizon iPhone...

I'm surprised the stock hasn't seen a 2-3% gain on this alone.
  • Reply 65 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! I can understand AT&T selling iPads that work on their network, but I?m surprised that Verizon would sell WiFi iPads to promote their MiFi products. Just how big is this iPad thing anyway?

About 10 inches, measured diagonally
  • Reply 66 of 125
    Proof positive that Verizon is switching to GSM! Woohoo! CDMA is dead, along with Qualcomm!
  • Reply 67 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

About 10 inches, measured diagonally

• Reply 68 of 125
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Proof positive that Verizon is switching to GSM! Woohoo! CDMA is dead, along with Qualcomm!

They aren?t adding GSM but they are adding 3GPP technologies, which Qualcomm has patents in. Qualcomm has certainly lost the stranglehold they wanted, not unlike the way Apple lost their fight for FireWire over Intel?s USB, but they are still a player and I see no sign of them going away anytime soon.
  • Reply 69 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Verizon does have a Wireless Hotspot network, although it's not as extensive as ATT's.

Here is what I think is happening... although your iPad may not have a wi-fi connection, it can still detect wi-fi routers in the area. It then uses that information and via your MiFi 3G connection to the internet, it looks up your approximate location using the Skyhook database Apple has licensed (I think they still use that service?).

I doubt very much that the MiFi device is passing geolocation information to your iPad.

No. This is in the middle of nowhere when it happens, and i also turn the WiFi connection off under settings, and i dont have the mifi with me either. I can show screen shots that i have taken. it is very odd and i've been wondering why it happens. It literally uses something other than wifi to connect to "somthing" dont know if it is gps or not, but it is definitely able to follow around with the blue dot. It is not a moving blue dot but like every 10 seconds or so, the blue dot moves down the road..
  • Reply 70 of 125
    Verizon and mifi... I don't know, IMO doesn't sound right if CDMA versions are coming out soon, but I don't run multibillion dollar companies.

Gosh darn it, when will the iphone be able to wirelessly tether data to a wifi ipad???

Lttle things like this are sure 'nice to haves' and great selling poi... oh, ipads are selling well. Well... they would sell more then well.

And me to, would like to have GPS chips in ipods and ipad(wifi)... oh... see previous.. darn.
  • Reply 71 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

While you are focusing on Verizon only, you do see the same exact issue on AT&T, right? Not to mention AT&T's $15 plan is 250 MB.

Admittedly i had not investigated that pricing, i was only speaking of my experience with the Verizon Mifi gadget and data plan.

At some point i believe we will be hooking up hard drive to the ipad and moving files like we do with computers, much like a gateway drug.
  • Reply 72 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

Verizon is going to automatically scoop up a ton of cash for the data plans because no one is going to be able to stay below 1gig a month.

For the intended use, it is pretty much. I use my iPad a lot, and this month was the first time I went over my 250GB limit with 8 days on the road. If used for its intended function, the MiFi is not that bad on cost. If you use it as a home DSL replacement... of course you are going to be paying more money!
  • Reply 73 of 125
    I believe this spells both the beginning of the Verizon iPhone and the end of unlimited data plans for Verizon. Both were expected eventually.
  • Reply 74 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

For the intended use, it is pretty much. I use my iPad a lot, and this month was the first time I went over my 250GB limit with 8 days on the road. If used for its intended function, the MiFi is not that bad on cost. If you use it as a home DSL replacement... of course you are going to be paying more money!

How fast is Verizon's network? Obviously it may be different in my neck of the woods, but I'm sick of my wired ISP and I'm shopping around.
  • Reply 75 of 125
    The iPad on Verizon is not the story.. It's the fact that Apple and Verizon are working together that's the big story. No one is even reporting and noticed that Apple and AT&T announced that the iPad will be sold on AT&T Stores Oct 28, the same day Verizon will start selling iPads.
  • Reply 76 of 125
    This is the closest Steve Jobs has come to saying there will be a Verizon iPhone. Why doesn't he just come out and confirm the rumors? I know what I'll be getting with my Christmas bonus. What luck that my Verizon contract comes due in December.
  • Reply 77 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

How fast is Verizon's network? Obviously it may be different in my neck of the woods, but I'm sick of my wired ISP and I'm shopping around.

Verizon is impressively fast. From Speed Tests ran on my ipad/computer it gets around 2MB/s, Max. depending on area and, or towers used. Obviously better speeds in bigger cities.
  • Reply 78 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The iPad on Verizon is not the story.. It's the fact that Apple and Verizon are working together that's the big story. No one is even reporting and noticed that Apple and AT&T announced that the iPad will be sold on AT&T Stores Oct 28, the same day Verizon will start selling iPads.

Every article I see states both AT&T and Verizon.....not sure what you are looking at.
  • Reply 79 of 125
    How do I activate/deactivate the service?

Does Verizon charge reactivation fees?

Can activation/deactivation be done thru the iPad? Or do I need yet another device to activate it?

Can I charge this MiFi device from the iPad?....or do I need to worry about recharging each time?

With a 4 hour battery life, is there an easy way to turn it off?.....is there an audible reminder that it is still on?
  • Reply 80 of 125
    Not necessarily defending AT&T here, but it seems like some are bashing their $15 for 250mb plan, which agreed is not much. But don't forget they also have the 2GB plan for $25. So for $5 more than Verizon's 1GB plan you get double the data. Just looking at that particular price plan, an argument could be made that AT&T is the better deal. Obviously many other factors go into consideration.