Apple's iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon stores on October 28th

Comments

• Reply 81 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We have an iPad WiFi and an iPad WiFi + 3G

We're planning on getting another..

This gives us another option, the chance to try the MiFi, and a chance to try the VZ service...

VZ should allow pre-orders, tho...

Our local VZ store is adjacent to the ATT store... I think I'll meander down there on "availability" day and see wha's happenin'.

That's quite an expensive proposition considering you're shelling out $130 for the MiFi unit, which as far as I can tell, doesn't work with any other carriers service here. So if you "try" it as you say, and then decide that EV-DO is slower than AT&T in your area or has worse coverage and decide to cancel, all you're left with is a Wi-Fi iPad that you could have bought for $130 LESS and a useless MiFi device.
  • Reply 82 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

More choice is good, Verizon solution bad.

AT&T: For $629, I get the 3G+ WiFi model with a GPS Chip and free access to over 20,000 wireless hotspots.

Verizon: For $629, I only get the Wifi model (no GPS!) and I need to carry around a second device that only has a 4 hour capacity. No GPS, no free Wireless Hotspots. No thanks.

So, does this mean we will never see a CDMA iPad? What does that mean for the rumored CDMA iPhone? If Apple was planning for a CDMA iPhone, why wouldn't they also create a CDMA iPad?

Suggests to me that this is a "place-holder" solution; gets iPad on the Verizon system while VZ gears up for the CDMA iPhone. Then--six months from now?--Apple can follow up by introducing a CDMA iPad.
  • Reply 83 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

Month-month is nice. Kind of unfortunate for us whom already posses a MiFi device though... Plus the pricing is nice. I would definitely downgrade my MiFi plan if I could ASAP

It's not unfortunate as now you just buy the wifi only iPad, which is what VZ is really selling and save yourself the extra $30 that VZ is charging I'm the bundle. And unless you wanted to cancel from month to month, in which case why would you bother with a MiFi, you're fine!
  • Reply 84 of 125
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    until LTE is rolled out, VZW's "iPhone" is gonna be an iPod touch with a MiFi taped to the back of it and Skype preinstalled.
  • Reply 85 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

How do I activate/deactivate the service?

Does Verizon charge reactivation fees?

Can activation/deactivation be done thru the iPad? Or do I need yet another device to activate it?

Can I charge this MiFi device from the iPad?....or do I need to worry about recharging each time?

With a 4 hour battery life, is there an easy way to turn it off?.....is there an audible reminder that it is still on?

1) Not sure but right now everything can be done online to activate/deactivate service, its super easy and I do it all the time.

2) Prob no reactivation fee's since they are pushing this and partially competing now with ATT

3) No. Mifi uses a Mini USB to charge it. Most phones now are Mini USB

4)Yes, it is like any other electronic device. It has an On/Off button. It has no tones or anything, just a red/green light. When the light is red, it is almost dead, when it is green it is still good, and when it is charging the light is orange.

Mifi is pretty basic, has no screen, jsut one button, one light and a plugin. The password to get onto it's wireless network is located on the bottom of the MiFi device. Simpe. Easy. Any wifi device can connect to it, not just the iPad.
  • Reply 86 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

It's not unfortunate as now you just buy the wifi only iPad, which is what VZ is really selling and save yourself the extra $30 that VZ is charging I'm the bundle. And unless you wanted to cancel from month to month, in which case why would you bother with a MiFi, you're fine!

I already own an iPad, and MiFi. And dont feel like paying an early termination fee on my MiFi just to get another one of each...
  • Reply 87 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

until LTE is rolled out, VZW's "iPhone" is gonna be an iPod touch with a MiFi taped to the back of it and Skype preinstalled.

And vCast
  • Reply 88 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The iPad on Verizon is not the story.. It's the fact that Apple and Verizon are working together that's the big story. No one is even reporting and noticed that Apple and AT&T announced that the iPad will be sold on AT&T Stores Oct 28, the same day Verizon will start selling iPads.

Yeah, this is the first official Apple press release that mentions Verizon. It is right next to a press release mentioning a similar offering at AT&T retail stores. The message I got is that Verizon is now on the same relationship level as AT&T. YMMV.
  • Reply 89 of 125
    Quote:

I already own an iPad, and MiFi. And dont feel like paying an early termination fee on my MiFi just to get another one of each...

I'm sorry I fail to see the point then as VZ's bundle is $30 more expensive than buying both devices separately, which you already have. The only advantage of the bundle is the lack of a contract. But if you had no intention of using VZ's data plans all the time, then you wouldn't have gotten the MiFi, so presumably you're going to pay for VZ data service even without a contract that forces you to.

So you're not missing out on much...
  • Reply 90 of 125
    Quote:

Verizon is impressively fast. From Speed Tests ran on my ipad/computer it gets around 2MB/s, Max. depending on area and, or towers used. Obviously better speeds in bigger cities.

Yeah, it depends on how far you are from the tower, and how many other people are trying to use the same tower.

Where I live, there is no AT&T 3G (they have yet to deploy). There is EV-DO coverage (although the towers are 6 miles away). I once did a coverage test using a HTC 6700. At most places on the property, I could get nothing better than 1xRTT. In a few places I could get 400Kb/sec. So, even with the mifi, I'm not sure how well this would work for me.
  • Reply 91 of 125
    iPad GPS chip: Can someone please explain to me what it is used for and the benefit(s) of it and why not having it in an iPad is a perceived negative?

I'm a techie, but have little knowledge of this. Thank you in advance.
  • Reply 92 of 125
    My guess is Jobs finally gave in to Verizon. Really all things apple would normally be, "here is the price and its the same for everyone". Data plans should be the same for both Att and Verizon as far as the pad goes. Verizon can jack up their prices for the cell plans when iPhone comes out since they already know there will be a good size group leaving the ATT boat.
  • Reply 93 of 125
    Quote:

I'm sorry I fail to see the point then as VZ's bundle is $30 more expensive than buying both devices separately, which you already have. The only advantage of the bundle is the lack of a contract. But if you had no intention of using VZ's data plans all the time, then you wouldn't have gotten the MiFi, so presumably you're going to pay for VZ data service even without a contract that forces you to.

So you're not missing out on much...

The price of the MiFi without contract is 270. If you buy this bundle that's 140 less. Plus you get access to a special discount rate for internet.

iPad - 500

MiFi w/out contract - 270

Total unbundled price = 770

(No contract, would have to follow unbundled pricing)

iPad - 500

MiFi w/ contract - Free

2-year contract - 40(250mb) or 60(5GB)

Total unbundled price = 1460 or 1940 over 2 years

iPad w/ Mifi - 630

Month-to-month contract for 2 years - 20(1gb), 35(3gb), 50(5gb)

Total bundled price = 1110, 1470, 1830.

The best deal in this case would be the 1GB contract bundled. For the same price you can get 3gb instead of 1gb PLUS not have to be in a 2-year contract.
  • Reply 94 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This is the start of the Apple-Verizon relationship. I think it's pretty clear now that we'll see the iPhone on Verizon next year...

Anyways.. Verizon's data plans for the iPad is better than AT&T's I think..

cdma iphone's are coming out (or have come out already) in India, so it's almost guaranteed it will come out in the US late this year year or early next
  • Reply 95 of 125
    It seems counter intuitive to let verizon have the pad since now you have to have two components for one device. So old school man! The point of the pad is its simplicity. Droid phones get GPS on verizon, its a stupid thing to let Verizon ad a device to the mix to be able to get it with them. They are going to cash cow this one to death.

no Gps, the obvious choice is att as far as i am concerned. I have seen it used for gps navigation in a car. That would be pretty sweet to have an ipad as the center counsel docked in for gps and car stereo adjustments, shoot make it so it can be used to adjust the temp in your car!
  • Reply 96 of 125
    Quote:

That's quite an expensive proposition considering you're shelling out $130 for the MiFi unit, which as far as I can tell, doesn't work with any other carriers service here. So if you "try" it as you say, and then decide that EV-DO is slower than AT&T in your area or has worse coverage and decide to cancel, all you're left with is a Wi-Fi iPad that you could have bought for $130 LESS and a useless MiFi device.

How is that different than buying a 3G iPad only to have it not work in your area?
  • Reply 97 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

iPad GPS chip: Can someone please explain to me what it is used for and the benefit(s) of it and why not having it in an iPad is a perceived negative?

I'm a techie, but have little knowledge of this. Thank you in advance.

No mystery, what GPS is used for should be obvious( location).

Thus not having it seems to be a loss of a basic functionality in a 'mobile device'(Steve says they're a mobile computing company now). Some people think it should be a standard feature(like me). Others could care less. Some would like to be able to use GPS without the data plan. Which can be done on some app's / devices.

The negatives of having the chips are-extra cost of the chips, and they suck power when in use. But, they can be turned off.

IMO - having the chips out weighs the drawbacks and should be a standard feature, but thats just me.
  • Reply 98 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scades View Post

Suggests to me that this is a "place-holder" solution; gets iPad on the Verizon system while VZ gears up for the CDMA iPhone. Then--six months from now?--Apple can follow up by introducing a CDMA iPad.

I also think this is just Phase One of many phases. I am sure soon they will have a 3G+Wi-Fi VZ iPad soon, maybe first Qtr of 2011. Very seriously doubt Verizon would accept this wifi only deal longterm. My guess is in the first six months of 2011 there will be a 3G+Wi-Fi VZ iPad and a VZ iPhone. Be an early adopter if you want, but again to me it's best to wait cuz in time they'll have better offerings. After that the questions is when will they offer a 4G iPad & iPhone on Verizon and AT&T?
  • Reply 99 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

How is that different than buying a 3G iPad only to have it not work in your area?

That really would suck and you'd be screwed. But I think Apple does allow returns on opened iPads??? But I'm on AT&T with my iPhone in the Bay Area and on my trips recently through DC, NY, and NJ a few months ago, I can't recall ever having no reception. So, considering I'm in what is supposed to be the two WORST areas for AT&T reception, I have to imagine there can't be a whole lot of other major places without an AT&T presence.
  • Reply 100 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

It seems counter intuitive to let verizon have the pad since now you have to have two components for one device. So old school man! The point of the pad is its simplicity. Droid phones get GPS on verizon, its a stupid thing to let Verizon ad a device to the mix to be able to get it with them. They are going to cash cow this one to death.

no Gps, the obvious choice is att as far as i am concerned. I have seen it used for gps navigation in a car. That would be pretty sweet to have an ipad as the center counsel docked in for gps and car stereo adjustments, shoot make it so it can be used to adjust the temp in your car!

kinda like this?

(yes that is real)

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/tac...omas-dash.html