• Reply 241 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Cheshire!

We suthrunahs' call that a "Chessy-Cat"

• Reply 242 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Not going to happen until Intel incorporates them into their boards - Apple isn't going to drop FW anytime soon and not going to incorporate USB 3 until Intel does next year.

I could be wrong, but I believe that Intel only makes the chips, not the boards. So USB 3.0 is not dependent on Intel, but on Apple's design/engineering choice.
  • Reply 243 of 291
    Quote:

OS 10.7 "Aslan"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Maybe I'm not recognizing an obvious hint, but I don't get how you connect the lion with Asia. Lions are the only big cat native to Africa. All the other big cats are from Asia or the Americas, AFAIK. What am I missing here?

That's ASLAN, with an "L"?from Narnia.
  • Reply 244 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Geeze! Along with Mark Wozniak, and Jim McCann, my wife Lucy -- I owned Computer Plus!

Yes, I knew that. I'm that old guy with a white (then light brown) beard better known as Tod Wicks. There was also Larry Byrum and Jim Rusten and Anne Jolly out front. And the "u" in the overhead sign was backwards. My alias hereabouts refers to my website ecphorizer.com.

Quote:

As to the postulate/corollary, it was an IBM inside joke -- working for IBM in Palo Alto, at the time...

Long story short... Standing in the IBM cafeteria one 7 AM, waiting to get a cup of fresh coffee for 25 cents.

A frazzeled guy walks in, stands in the line at the coffee machine to buy a half a cup of crap coffee for $1.

Why?

But...but...wasn't IBM on Page Mill? I used to wander around in there with a set of telephone repairman's tools hanging from a belt. Oh wait, wasn't there a good coffee/donut shop on Calif Av just a few steps east of ECR? It must have been good as it always had a bunch of Pacific Tel trucks and no cop cars.
  • Reply 245 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Yes, I knew that. I'm that old guy with a white (then light brown) beard better known as Tod Wicks. There was also Larry Byrum and Jim Rusten and Anne Jolly out front. And the "u" in the overhead sign was backwards. My alias hereabouts refers to my website ecphorizer.com.

I think I remember you... your name is very familiar... I'm thinking, over 6' tall and slender... light, maybe blue eyes...?

Yeah.. Larry and Jim were quite a pair... Anne was neat!

We prided ourselves in having the best employees around -- many went on to work for Apple (that was an honor for them and us);

The backwards u was on purpose-- for "micro" computer.

Very few people noticed that.

Quote:

But...but...wasn't IBM on Page Mill? I used to wander around in there with a set of telephone repairman's tools hanging from a belt. Oh wait, wasn't there a good coffee/donut shop on Calif Av just a few steps east of ECR? It must have been good as it always had a bunch of Pacific Tel trucks and no cop cars.

Yeah, AIR, the coffee/donut shop was across from the Wells Fargo.

IBM was all over Stanford Industrial Park (as, I think, it was called).

The first building was at 1501 California and had the Cafeteria. When I first transferred there, in 1973, we occupied a building at 1520 Page Mill (I think) across from HP. Then we moved to Palo Alto Square at Page Mill & El Camino... Then back to 1510 Page Mill...

It really didn't matter much as people in my group, The IBM Palo Alto Systems Center, traveled extensively.

Ha! Remember Banana Records on El Camino?

Did you ever eat at Risotti's (The Alpine Inn) out on Alpine road in Portola Valley?

• Reply 246 of 291
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I think you are being way too optimistic. March at the earliest, and I would be shocked if it happened then.

My guess would be somewhere between June and November of next year.

I agree. I'd expect a WWDC before 10.7 is released to the public. I expect/hope Apple introduces new features and talks about how they're making 10.7 available to developers. Then next back-to-school cycle release it.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 247 of 291
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

resolution independence is a must.

I hope they don't tweak the interface that much, I love aqua, and I hate the more subdued ones on itunes. I hope they've got a lot of feedback about itunes interface debacle where all is whited out in grey, and I hope they don't use it.

You think Apple listens to feedback?

Expect the final build of iPad iOS 4.2 to change rotation to mute, just no everyone "hates". And similarly expect gray views everywhere with vertical traffic lights. Apple is not perfect, they are just about to re-prove that.
  • Reply 248 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I take it you're excited about all this 3D hullabaloo?

Oh, dear heavens, no. I'm saying the only viable 3D interface will be something holographic with which I can interact in a block of 3D space.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

12) You seem to be assuming that to have a notebook that do 3G that you?d have to pay $60/month for 5GB. You also seem to assume that all people are near WiFI or Ethernet that cellular data on a notebook wouldn?t be useful to some people. Those are erroneous conclusions.

Yeah, silly of me to quote current mobile data prices.
  • Reply 249 of 291
    Quote:

I think I remember you... your name is very familiar... I'm thinking, over 6' tall and slender... light, maybe blue eyes...?

5-10, 200#, barrel-chested, go here for a fairly recent pic: http://www.ecphorizer.com/EPS/site_inside.php?page=8

Quote:

Yeah.. Larry and Jim were quite a pair... Anne was neat!

We prided ourselves in having the best employees around -- many went on to work for Apple (that was an honor for them and us);

The backwards u was on purpose-- for "micro" computer.

Very few people noticed that.

Huh! I certainly didn't make the connection though those were the days of the micro computer, as they were called then. God, remember the myriad names of the S-100 gadgets: Ohio Scientific, Exidy (which I always confused with Exide batteries), CromemCo, MITS, CompuColor, Imsai, Vector, the list seemed endless.

Quote:

Ha! Remember Banana Records on El Camino?

Did you ever eat at Risotti's (The Alpine Inn) out on Alpine road in Portola Valley?

Banana Records, now home of "We-Fix-Macs." Rosati's - "Stanford School of Electrical Engineering Annex." Lots of old hardware designs used their cocktail napkins. Been there a few times.

All familiar places - heck I lived on Waverley in the "low" rent district for over 30 years.

It's been nice, Dick. Take care...
  • Reply 250 of 291
    Quote:

Geeze! Along with Mark Wozniak, and Jim McCann, my wife Lucy -- I owned Computer Plus!

And I recall that you kept trying to sell me some arcane database program called TDM but I settled for Barney Stone's DB Master.
  • Reply 251 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

And I recall that you kept trying to sell me some arcane database program called TDM but I settled for Barney Stone's DB Master.

Reply to this and your prior:

Yeah, I recognize you... especially your smile and ruddy complexion... you seemed much taller ... (Actually I associated someone else with the name).

TDM-- Steve Schwartz's "The Data Manager" written in UCSD Pascal on Apple ][ serial #009 (AIR) -- there were no air vent slots in the case.

Steve had black mustache and beard and black bushy hair -- almost a big afro!

Steve, would often program in our store. He used crutches -- had a prosthetic leg that was uncomfortable, so he'd unstrap it.

He'd get really involved in programming, then something would upset him. He'd jump up bellowing something, standing on one leg, swinging his crutch in the air like some angry Rasputin with a giant fly swatter.

I convinced Steve to write TDM -- loaned him some RAM, a Pascal Card, and 2 floppy disk drives. In return, if I asked nicely, Steve would add features that I or our customers wanted.

We didn't get any special deal-- but I felt it was a good (and flexible db) and it supported the concept of using microcomputers for business. Often, a TDM customer could get a special feature implemented that he could get in no other db.

When we founded Computer Plus, we identified three types of users (target markets):

-- hobbyists - lots of good ideas, talent, but DYI, and no money to spend

-- home personal - growing market similar to DVRs, etc. - interested in tech solutions - has $ to spend

-- business - nothing really until VisiCalc and UCSD Pascal - lotsa' potential for big $

We tried to support the hobbyists and other microcomputer pioneers and, in turn, benefitted from their efforts -- a $79 VisiCalc or $150 TDM db could sell many thousands of dollars of equipment.

AIR, you were kind of a hybrid user-- mostly home-personal, some business and a little techy/hobbyist.

FWIW, that's how I'd classify myself!

Ahh... great times!

• Reply 252 of 291
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Nah, I think they'll keep iChat but just incorporate FaceTime into it. iDVD is dropped for shure.

I don't think that was a plug for Shure mics, was it?

Anyway, you're probably right, but I personally think it would be better if they killed iChat and "replaced" it with a Mac app called FaceTime (and added text chat). Made the iPhone FaceTime app its own app (just like it is on the iPod touch) and left the FaceTime functionality within the Phone app, also. And released FaceTime for iPad 2 and Windows. And then opened the protocol, allowing others to write FaceTime apps for Android, Linux and Windows Phone etc. But… my cunning planned is never to be.
  • Reply 253 of 291
    Hi fellow Mac users,

I do not have a multi-screen setup, but heard of the following to Apps to relief of the Menu Bar Pain:

DejaMenu - Gives the menu's commands in a context menu anywhere your mouse is

SecondBar - http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=79 Give you a second bar. Early beta, but heard it already worked OK. From the same developer as BTT (BetterTouchTool for Magic Mouse gesture enhancements etc.)

Hope it helped you,

SuAlfons
  • Reply 254 of 291
    Quote:

AIR, you were kind of a hybrid user-- mostly home-personal, some business and a little techy/hobbyist.

FWIW, that's how I'd classify myself!

You got it! In those days an A2 was a pretty steep investment so I did some research and talked to a very Libertarian tax accountant, and began a business. The business consisted of a once a month party for a social group I was active in, during which I showed off the A2. "Charged" people a buck to join, served up some home-made spaghetti, and managed to write off the A2 as a business expense. Then I got a neat program from Bob Clardy at Synergistic Software that printed mailing labels, added an ancient KSR printer, and began printing a couple of thousand mail labels each month for the group's newsletter. That program was so advanced for its time - could span multiple floppies, print either labels sorted by zip code or an alpha "roster"-style list.

I'm baring my soul now: I originally got the A2 because I wanted a way to catalog hundreds of classical music LPs. The irony is that I never got around to that and time really slipped by and *boom!* there was iTunes doing what I wanted.

Hey, I'm sure you recall a box of 10 Verbatim floppies retailing for $35! No wonder you opened a store - you were probably your own best customer!
  • Reply 255 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, silly of me to quote current mobile data prices.

How is that none of your posts ever make sense or address what was written? (That?s rhetorical since your reply is unlikely to make sense)
  • Reply 256 of 291
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

You are absolutely right, I use three monitors and it's a pain in the neck!

Check out SecondBar.
  • Reply 257 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston;

That is a very interesting idea. A touch screen interface with OS X, that can be swiveled around so you can still use the keyboard/trackpad. Very interesting idea. I don't think they'll do it, but it is definitely interesting.

Swivelling things and joints make Jonny Ives cry.
  • Reply 258 of 291
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Swivelling things and joints make Jonny Ives cry.

All joking aside, I?m sure movable parts aren?t what he wants to deal with.

In regards to this mythical 11.6? MBA it could be a the single hinge design that folds 180°. The problem is you then have the keyboard on the bottom of the device when used as a tablet. This could be resolved if it comes with a nice case.

They could put all the major components behind the monitor. it?s not like the MBA components are very big or heavy so they could all fit in the display?s section. The other half could basically be the keyboard and trackpad and that could be very, very thin in comparison.

Neither of these seem likely to me, but whatever they do there will tradeoffs.
  • Reply 259 of 291
    of all the things that will / may get announced on October 20, i'm most keen on Mac OS X 10.7; should be an interesting event for sure.
  • Reply 260 of 291
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't think that was a plug for Shure mics, was it?

Anyway, you're probably right, but I personally think it would be better if they killed iChat and "replaced" it with a Mac app called FaceTime (and added text chat). Made the iPhone FaceTime app its own app (just like it is on the iPod touch) and left the FaceTime functionality within the Phone app, also. And released FaceTime for iPad 2 and Windows. And then opened the protocol, allowing others to write FaceTime apps for Android, Linux and Windows Phone etc. But… my cunning planned is never to be.

It sure ain't. Though I haven't really tried the Shure earphone demos...

Anyways, it is possible, though unlikely, that they might rebrand iChat on the Mac as FaceTime.