iMac Graphics Replacement

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My current 2.8ghz 24 inch early 2008 iMac seems to have decided to die on me. I know that it is starting up correctly. I can boot it into diagnostics mode... but it seems to get to the screen hours later.

The main problem is the screen won't turn on when I boot it up. I believe this to be a graphics card over heating problem. I've had it since new and have played video games on it quite a bit. This lends me to believe it is a graphics card issue.

My question is weather or not a early 2009 graphics card would work in my early 2008?

If anyone doesn't think it is a graphics issue let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    i don't think you, yourself, can replace the graphics card in an iMac. i recommend heading on over to your local Apple Store to properly diagnose the issue.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I'm guessing from your post that you're out of warranty. Sorry to hear that as it doesn't sound healthy...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Does it recognize a second monitor plugged into it?

And no, it's impossible for you to change the graphics card.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    @ Tallest Skil: I am actually able to be on the machine, like this moment for instance, once in a while where it works, but it intermittently turns the screen black for what ever reason it feels is necessary. I know you say it is "impossible" to change it, but I can buy the parts for it. I've read up on what I might need to do. I know the risks... my main objection is the 512 graphics card from an early 2008 iMac is more expensive than the same card from a early 2009 iMac. When I look at each card on line the seem identical. I just wanted to know if it would work being that they are about 1 year apart.

@ s.metcalf: Yeah it is out of warranty...

@ emacs72: Yes I should go to an Apple store, but the closest is 1 hour away. Second, I don't want to spend a grand or what ever it is to fix it. I want to do it cheap because other wise I might as well put that money into new hardware.

If anyone has any suggestions... let
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tasovar View Post

@ Tallest Skil: I am actually able to be on the machine, like this moment for instance, once in a while where it works, but it intermittently turns the screen black for what ever reason it feels is necessary. I know you say it is "impossible" to change it, but I can buy the parts for it. I've read up on what I might need to do. I know the risks... my main objection is the 512 graphics card from an early 2008 iMac is more expensive than the same card from a early 2009 iMac. When I look at each card on line the seem identical. I just wanted to know if it would work being that they are about 1 year apart.

@ s.metcalf: Yeah it is out of warranty...

@ emacs72: Yes I should go to an Apple store, but the closest is 1 hour away. Second, I don't want to spend a grand or what ever it is to fix it. I want to do it cheap because other wise I might as well put that money into new hardware.

If anyone has any suggestions... let

You have already received good advice. Now, it's up to you to use or ignore.