Comments

• Reply 101 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

iPad - 500

MiFi w/ contract - Free

2-year contract - 40(250mb) or 60(5GB)

Total unbundled price = 1460 or 1940 over 2 years

Wow. I didn't realize VZ was shafting their contracted users so badly. I had assumed the data plan pricing was based on VZ's existing data plan pricing. That does suck.
  • Reply 102 of 125
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

About 10 inches, measured diagonally

Brilliant ..... someone else with a warped sense of humor ... I love it!
  • Reply 103 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

How about "always delightful and wonderfully mine"?

Or...:

"always spiteful and wonderfully malign"

• Reply 104 of 125
    So can't believe no one has said this yet, "carry a mifi"? Everyone I know has some kind of case for their iPad (about 10 people) all you need is a case with a slot built in for the mifi, whats the big deal, shit there goes my million dollar idea .. PATENT I CALL PATENT I'LL SUE YOU BASTARDS!!! ... ok im sure someone thought of it long ago
  • Reply 105 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147

Damn, I didn't think I would get that much negative reaction. I just don't like carrying two devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

No problem, I don't like it as well, that's why I got an iPad 3G.

I just think the Verizon option is reasonable for people that prefer Verizon over ATT for whatever reason. More carriers is usually a good thing.

There are some subtleties here, that are [somewhat] hidden by the bundle:

-- A WiFi Tablet

-- A cell-WiFi bridge

-- A non-contractual cell service

1) We have a Universal, cell-band-independent mobile tablet [device]

2) We have a Universal, carrier-independent mobile tablet [device]

3) We have a Universal, contract-independent mobile tablet [device]

4) We have a Universal, subsidy-independent mobile tablet [device]

Who's to say that AT&T could not offer a similar cell-WiFi bridge (or iPhone Tether) as part of an AT&T bundle?

Or Sprint? Or Anyone?

Who says that some non-carrier can't offer one or more cell-WiFi bridges (for different cell radio bands)?

Who says you can't build your own bundle of bits you purchase separately-- one from column (provider) A, one from column (provider) B... ?

Who's to say the mobile tablet [device] can't be used as a phone to make and receive calls?

Where does that leave the consumer vis-a-vis the Carrier?

What effect does that have on voice and data plan tiers and offerings?

What effect does that have on contracts?

What effect does that have on subsidies?

What effect does that have on Carrier branding, crapware, forced UI inclusions and restrictions... ?

• Reply 106 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

So can't believe no one has said this yet, "carry a mifi"? Everyone I know has some kind of case for their iPad (about 10 people) all you need is a case with a slot built in for the mifi, whats the big deal, shit there goes my million dollar idea .. PATENT I CALL PATENT I'LL SUE YOU BASTARDS!!! ... ok im sure someone thought of it long ago

It's more than just carrying another device. You also need to charge it (for every 4 hours of use), configure it (via a MAC/PC), and connect it. That's like telling me that in order to use my cell phone, I need to buy another device to connect it to the network before it can take/make calls. On top of that, you are connecting it to a slower network. No thanks.
  • Reply 107 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Just bought a virgin mobile mifi. 149 at best buy and 40 dollars unlimited and no long-term contracts - use it for a month and not the next. Uses sprint network though and does not support roaming.

This sounds much, much better to me than anything else I've heard about.

I have an ipad 3g, a macbook pro, and my wife has an ipad wifi.

Right now, I have to pay AT&T $30 or so for data on just the ipad 3g.

With the virgin mobile, I can (after purchasing device) pay $40 and all three devices plus two more can use the mifi service, and I can use it for one month when I travel and then not renew the next month when I am home with my home network. Perfect!

How do you like it so far? I had the virgin mobile usb modem and it worked great with my macbook pro.... also had a pay as you go and only when you need it type deaal....
  • Reply 108 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c-ray View Post

Yeah, it depends on how far you are from the tower, and how many other people are trying to use the same tower.

Where I live, there is no AT&T 3G (they have yet to deploy). There is EV-DO coverage (although the towers are 6 miles away). I once did a coverage test using a HTC 6700. At most places on the property, I could get nothing better than 1xRTT. In a few places I could get 400Kb/sec. So, even with the mifi, I'm not sure how well this would work for me.

Mifi is the same coverage and speed as the cell phone so if you get bad cell service, miff will be the same.
  • Reply 109 of 125
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

It seems counter intuitive to let verizon have the pad since now you have to have two components for one device. So old school man! The point of the pad is its simplicity. Droid phones get GPS on verizon, its a stupid thing to let Verizon ad a device to the mix to be able to get it with them. They are going to cash cow this one to death.

no Gps, the obvious choice is att as far as i am concerned. I have seen it used for gps navigation in a car. That would be pretty sweet to have an ipad as the center counsel docked in for gps and car stereo adjustments, shoot make it so it can be used to adjust the temp in your car!

Let us know as soon as you can tether you iPad to your laptop (or other wi-fi device) and share a single data plan with all of your mobile devices. Yes, there are drawbacks (carrying a 2nd, although small, device; having to charge it). But to have the option to take my laptop instead of my iPad if that's the device I need for that particular trip, and use the same MiFi and the same data contract? That to me far outweighs the negatives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

Wow. I didn't realize VZ was shafting their contracted users so badly. I had assumed the data plan pricing was based on VZ's existing data plan pricing. That does suck.

The "contracted" prices you are referring to are for their independent broadband service (ie, seperate from a phone contract). You can't compare that to the "bolt-on" data packages you get with your iPhone because those are limited to providing data ONLY to the iPhone. Check out ATT's independent broadband data plans and I think you'll find them to be very similar to Verizon's (although I haven't compared since ATT got rid of their unlimited data options).

Verizon's new data rates for the iPad bundle are a far better value than ATT's if you have other devices (laptop, touch, etc) that can connect via wi-fi. With ATT, you'd need a 2nd data plan because you can't tether to your iPad.
  • Reply 110 of 125
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Just bought a virgin mobile mifi. 149 at best buy and 40 dollars unlimited and no long-term contracts - use it for a month and not the next. Uses sprint network though and does not support roaming.

Doesn't Clear also use Sprint's network, including their 4G network? You can get an iDevice specific mifi device for even less per month, but it's restricted to only work with iPhone, touches, and iPads. They charge a lower price on the assumption that an iDevice would use less bandwidth than a full-fledged laptop.
  • Reply 111 of 125
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

This sounds much, much better to me than anything else I've heard about.

I have an ipad 3g, a macbook pro, and my wife has an ipad wifi.

Right now, I have to pay AT&T $30 or so for data on just the ipad 3g.

With the virgin mobile, I can (after purchasing device) pay $40 and all three devices plus two more can use the mifi service, and I can use it for one month when I travel and then not renew the next month when I am home with my home network. Perfect!

How do you like it so far? I had the virgin mobile usb modem and it worked great with my macbook pro.... also had a pay as you go and only when you need it type deaal....

Hi Katonah

I like it. There are people online who think that it is not as fast as the actual Sprint mifi but I have gotten good speeds out of it. I recently took it for a 4 hour road trip (with long stretches of mountain highway) and had no problems steaming music to my iPhone with it. Your mileage might vary though depending on location. They also have a $10 plan for (I am going from memory here and probably wrong about the cost, data and days) 100 megs for 10 days so you can buy the card at best buy and the 10 day plan and test it in your area. If it does not work you can return the card to best buy (they told me I had 30 days to return it) and you would only be out of $10.
  • Reply 112 of 125
    Quote:

Hi Katonah

I like it. There are people online who think that it is not as fast as the actual Sprint mifi but I have gotten good speeds out of it. I recently took it for a 4 hour road trip (with long stretches of mountain highway) and had no problems steaming music to my iPhone with it. Your mileage might vary though depending on location. They also have a $10 plan for (I am going from memory here and probably wrong about the cost, data and days) 100 megs for 10 days so you can buy the card at best buy and the 10 day plan and test it in your area. If it does not work you can return the card to best buy (they told me I had 30 days to return it) and you would only be out of $10.

Great idea -thanks...

I just hate the idea of paying a data fee PER DEVICE. I already pay that on our iphones, and home internet. One price for multiple portable devices seems much better to me.

Is that so wrong?!!!
  • Reply 113 of 125
    This is Verizon Puckering up to Mr. Jobs, Hoping to get the iPhone on Verizons network.
  • Reply 114 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Great idea -thanks...

I just hate the idea of paying a data fee PER DEVICE. I already pay that on our iphones, and home internet. One price for multiple portable devices seems much better to me.

Is that so wrong?!!!

I am in agreement!

We have AT&T U-Verse for Cable and Internet

We Have AT&T Wireless family plan for 5 people-- 2 adults and 3 teenagers.

We have 6 iPhones, but 4 are simless -- the 3 kids use the simless Phones as iPod Touches / PGPs

The 3 kids have crap phones that they lose or break on a regular basis.

We have 2 iPads -- i WiFi only, We will soon buy another iPad -- Maybe the VZ deal.

What really seems stupid that separate data plans are tied to individual devices!

If we could contract a single data plan for all devices then we could get rid of the crap phones...

• Reply 115 of 125
    Month-to-month VZ data plan on a multi-user MiFi

Better tethering pricing than AT&T

Just add FaceTime, even on a next gen WiFi iPad, and we've got something to look at.
  • Reply 116 of 125
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am in agreement!

We have AT&T U-Verse for Cable and Internet

We Have AT&T Wireless family plan for 5 people-- 2 adults and 3 teenagers.

We have 6 iPhones, but 4 are simless -- the 3 kids use the simless Phones as iPod Touches / PGPs

The 3 kids have crap phones that they lose or break on a regular basis.

We have 2 iPads -- i WiFi only, We will soon buy another iPad -- Maybe the VZ deal.

What really seems stupid that separate data plans are tied to individual devices!

If we could contract a single data plan for all devices then we could get rid of the crap phones...

That is a good opening for some phone company! Like you, our kids have the our old simless iphones and I have installed skype on them and created a skype account so they can use it to call me when on wifi (mostly just a game for them at home as they are pretty young). Would be great to buy multiple mifi's tied to a single data account per your idea. I have JB them and use backgrounder to keep Skype logged on for them and that would be a cool way to have them stay in touch without any sort of voice contract. There is also an app called line2 that I have read about but not looked into personally that is getting some positive reviews by David Pogue @ NYTimes.
  • Reply 117 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

mifi 2200 is the size of a credit card although a bit thicker.. More than small enough to fit almost any pocket..

But the battery on the wifi is not nearly as robust as the ipad. It dies in just a few hours. I have a vz wifi and bought the wifi only ipad. I did not like the set up much having to carry and charge two devices. I now have the wifi+3G version and am much happier.
  • Reply 118 of 125
    But the iPad doesn't need a cell connection--I'm using one right now, project-managing development of an iPad app, and I'm merely connecting using the WiFi.

Which, unlike my Motorola Droid, actually CAN connect and send/receive data over the Wifi connection :-)

And did you notice that Blackberry's answer to the iPad doesn't even have cell connectivity? You have to plug it into a separate Blackberry phone! *sigh*. Although that's stupid, it's saying the RIM doesn't think people will pull the masses of data over cell, but rather over wireless.
  • Reply 119 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone;

That link will barely load, the server is so hammered. If this is any indication of how Verizon's network can handle the demand, it is just the announcement, what's going to happen when they get the actual device.

Oh, the moment iPhone is announced on Verizon everything there will get hammered hard. Pre-orders of the iPhone will very likely bring down the server like many other telcos in various developed countries. Then yeah, the load on their 3G network will be brutal.

Which is what's genius about this iPad test... Put some Apple users on VZ and see how things go, from announcement to launch to usage. Plus Apple gets to sell more iPads.
  • Reply 120 of 125
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

My guess is Jobs finally gave in to Verizon. Really all things apple would normally be, "here is the price and its the same for everyone". Data plans should be the same for both Att and Verizon as far as the pad goes. Verizon can jack up their prices for the cell plans when iPhone comes out since they already know there will be a good size group leaving the ATT boat.

How could there be "the same price for everyone" between ATT and VZW when that's not even the case within ATT? Some people have an unlimited plan while many others had to get the new tiered data plans.