AMD holding off on tablets, admits iPad cannibalizing notebooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

So their master plan is to spend the next few years trying to beat Intel in the laptop market and then they will start to focus on tablets??? Good luck with that.

They are losing money each quarter so cost centers are the first to go. I don?t think it?s a good idea for the future of the company, but if they don?t think it will produce a decent mobile chip then perhaps they are right.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Apple has taken away the average user from the pc with the ipad because the ipad concentrates what the average person does into a no fuss, powerful, fast and hell of capable system.

Nice!

• Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufwork View Post

Can we stop using "cannibalizing", please? You're being out-competed; this isn't stealing from Peter to pay Paul.

Did laptops cannibalize desktop sales? Did the Apple II cannibalize calculators? Did calculators cannibalize ledgers? Good grief, heaven forbid somebody get tablets right.

Aren't cannibals from the Far East?

• Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"the company is waiting for the market to develop"

Waiting for Apple to sell a few million more units.

Waiting for the opportunity to pass it by.

Waiting for Intel to eat its lunch.

Waiting to fail.

AMD may have not been doing veyr well in the recent years, but, they made the first real quad-core proccessor, and were ahead for years with there athlon's until core duo came out, its certainly not going as well as it is now anymore, but saying that it just waits for other companies to make products is just silly...

October, 1994- AMD makes its K5, its 30% faster then intels current pentiums

march, 1998- AMD had arpox 47% of market, Intel 42

october 1998-first details in AMD of HyperTransport, a replacement for the PCI bus

AMD certainly had not been ahead of inel a lot, but they did have there times when it has been ahead and better than intel

i would advise researching a company before slamming them
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Aren't cannibals from the Far East?

Yes. New York is about as far East as it gets.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

AMD may have not been doing veyr well in the recent years, but, they made the first real quad-core proccessor, and were ahead for years with there athlon's until core duo came out, its certainly not going as well as it is now anymore, but saying that it just waits for other companies to make products is just silly...

october 1998-first details in AMD of HyperTransport, a replacement for the PCI bus

AMD certainly had not been ahead of inel a lot, but they did have there times when it has been ahead and better than intel

Technology moves ahead so fast in the microprocessor industry that success is determined primarily by your R&D. It is very hard to kick Intel off the top of that mountain because no one out-Rs and out-Ds them. The only time Intel fell behind AMD was when Intel made a strategic blunder with their product roadmap and had to backtrack and follow AMD's lead. But such an advantage is temporary because pretty soon the next generation of chip designs comes up and again its R&D that determines who wins. A strategy that depends on your competitors making strategic blunders is not a sustainable strategy.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Amd's position makes perfect sense to me. They aren't going to match the performance/watt of arm any time soon and it's not clear what os would run on their chip anyway. AMD is a cash strapped company -- they need to focus on thongs that actually might work out for them. Probably makes more sense for them to make a processor that could find it's way into macbooks and iMacs.

They might as well close their doors if they take that strategy. If this article is correct and AMD is taking a wait and see attitude towards the tablet (read: mobile) industry then they are already 5 years behind.

Think of where the iPad/tablet industry will be in 5 years... wanna bet that computer sales won't be cut drastically by then?! I'll take that bet. Computer sales will be 60% of what they are today, if not less. How many hard wired phones do you see these days... same sort of thing. Typewriters... etc.

Close the doors and give the money back to the shareholders if wait and see is their plan...
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Please stop perpetuating the misuse of the term "cannibalizing". Cannibalizing occurs only when a company's product takes away sales from its other products. The iPad might be cannibalizing some MacBook sales but it is **displacing** sales of rival companies' netbooks and notebooks.

Journalism is dead.

Tech media no longer employs writers.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

"Pretty high price points"??

Um, what?? The iPad is at a super-low price point, which is one of the reasons it has taken off so quickly.

I think most computer vendors expect the iPad and other tablets to supposedly being available at netbook prices. I believe they really see tablets as some sort of keyboard-less netbook instead of being a smartphone-class device with a much larger screen. A thin, light tablet is more a smartphone than a netbook, component-wise.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I think most computer vendors expect the iPad and other tablets to supposedly being available at netbook prices. I believe they really see tablets as some sort of keyboard-less netbook instead of being a smartphone-class device with a much larger screen. A thin, light tablet is more a smartphone than a netbook, component-wise.

Maybe they expect that now, but they expected something very different back in January. CES was filled with tablets, most not giving price points as they were waiting to see what Apple did later that month. Most were expecting an Apple tablet around $1000, so when Apple came out with a product half that price and with a specialized UI designed for the device they all had to go back to the drawing board. How else do you have a decade old market category that is dominated and owned by a single tablet? Heck, one might argue that the Kindle is Apple?s biggest competitive threat to that form factor and that isn?t even in the same category
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

So their master plan is to spend the next few years trying to beat Intel in the laptop market and then they will start to focus on tablets??? Good luck with that.

Yeah, when I read "waiting for the market to develop" I read it as "waiting for others to get their first, establish a beachhead, and begin to dominate the market" before entering.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Please stop perpetuating the misuse of the term "cannibalizing". Cannibalizing occurs only when a company's product takes away sales from its other products. The iPad might be cannibalizing some MacBook sales but it is **displacing** sales of rival companies' netbooks and notebooks.

Cannibal-gate!
  • Reply 33 of 65
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

AMD let it slip that they are releasing a new graphics product line next week. coincidence?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    It is sort of a chicken/egg situation. CPU chip makers can't design a good mobile chip because they can't optimize it for any particular OS and an OS developer like MS can't design a good OS for mobile because they don't know what hardware it is going to run on.

That is why Apple's mobile devices are so seamlessly efficient. They optimize both hardware and software to only coexist with each other and no other configuration matters. In mobile, it is such a delicate balance due to the battery usage, heat and weight considerations that without extreme optimization it wouldn't have that magical quality that Apple does so well.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

I "used to be" young and handsome ..... now I'm just a fat old man...... not a slam ... just the facts.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

They might as well close their doors if they take that strategy. If this article is correct and AMD is taking a wait and see attitude towards the tablet (read: mobile) industry then they are already 5 years behind.

Think of where the iPad/tablet industry will be in 5 years... wanna bet that computer sales won't be cut drastically by then?! I'll take that bet. Computer sales will be 60% of what they are today, if not less. How many hard wired phones do you see these days... same sort of thing. Typewriters... etc.

Close the doors and give the money back to the shareholders if wait and see is their plan...

True. Another problem is that if they wait until the market is mature, it may well be all divvied up, with no piece of the pie left for AMD to take.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is sort of a chicken/egg situation. CPU chip makers can't design a good mobile chip because they can't optimize it for any particular OS and an OS developer like MS can't design a good OS for mobile because they don't know what hardware it is going to run on.

Nonsense.

ARM has created a very successful business architecting mobile CPUs. They don't know what operating system is going to run on their CPUs (iOS, Android, Symbian, BlackBerry OS, webOS, whatever).

The fact of the matter is that Intel and particularly AMD have relied too long on general purpose CPUs for desktop systems, and ignored the mobile marketplace.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    This is how Apple compete.

instead of releasing some me too netbook, they studied the market, understand their customers, and release something worthwhile (iPad).

Now their competitors are scrambling to release some me too iPad clones.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    What "other tablets"?
  • Reply 40 of 65
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nonsense.

ARM has created a very successful business architecting mobile CPUs. They don't know what operating system is going to run on their CPUs (iOS, Android, Symbian, BlackBerry OS, webOS, whatever).

The fact of the matter is that Intel and particularly AMD have relied too long on general purpose CPUs for desktop systems, and ignored the mobile marketplace.

I sort of agree with that however my point was more to AMD or Intel, in the the other thread. What instruction set are they going to build their chips for? x86. In the case of ARM the instruction set was built for lightweight devices from the beginning and the popular OSs that now run on it were specifically designed for that instruction set. So the Chicken/Egg part is can AMD or intel convince anyone other than MS to write an OS for their chip. But furthermore there is a lot more to optimizing hardware and software which is why Apple took it one step further and made the A4 design