Sources: Apple to unveil revamped 11.6-inch MacBook Air next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 176
    What sucks is that i have no money. Hell, i'm using the library computers right now.
  • Reply 22 of 176
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Sign the petition for the MacBook Air mini:

http://macbookair10.net

What a waste of time. Apple listen to their customers for bug reports but not product advice.
  • Reply 23 of 176
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    (kinda off topic): Will there be another live stream of this event?
  • Reply 24 of 176
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Either Jobs was wrong or the iPad is not a computer. Or the iPad is a piece of junk.

Or he was right, they didn't know. But now they do. Human beings can learn you know.
  • Reply 25 of 176
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

There comes a point when something just is too small to be really functional. At 11.6" that's cutting it close. If this is a real product, then I'll have to pay a visit to the Apple store to find out.

How about a sheet of paper? Too thin to be useful? How about a clipboard? In ten years the MBA will be the thickness of a clipboard. It'll stand by itself and the camera will watch your fingers type on the tabletop and input the text. Then, maybe, it'll be thin enough. Maybe.
  • Reply 26 of 176
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Either Jobs was wrong or the iPad is not a computer. Or the iPad is a piece of junk.

SJ may have been right at that time. The landscape has changed considerably with the introduction of the iPad. Apple has learned a lot about how to reduce costs as pointed out in the article. Besides - the Airs may cost more than 500. I suspect the price will be a step up from the iPad but less than the MBP. I suspect that the Air will become the new MB.

What I look forward to seeing is how, and to what extent IOS will inform OSX in this and future revisions. With so many IOS (but non-OSX) users a lot can ride on this. A simplified OS to which an IOS user needs no introduction would be a great selling point.
  • Reply 27 of 176
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Or that statement was true at the time and they've since figured out how to it.

I say that's the case.
  • Reply 28 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since when did words only have one pedantic definition? I think you know exactly what he was referring to by the use of the word “computer”.

I think he was joking

Besides that quote was pre-iPad and people can change their minds. I think the iPad is a computer. Prior to the ipad i used my MacBook to surf the web, listen to itunes, read my mail, write notes, write letters and dabble withe odd spreadsheet. Now it's redundant. MacBook is a computer and therefor so is my iPad. My logic.

The iPad is in it's infancy.
  • Reply 29 of 176
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    The thing that I am wondering about is the keyboard. The "magic" of the original Air was that it retained a full-sized keyboard relative to the other Macs. If the screen shrinks that much, the bezel would go with it, which seems to me would require that the keyboard be downsized as well. It will be interesting to see what comes about next Wednesday.
  • Reply 30 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hlfnlsn View Post

The iPad is not a computer. Even though many other devices do computing functions they are not exactly considered computers in the general sense. Take a calculator for example, it can compute, but it is not considered a computer, same goes for my iPhone. Technically these devices are computers but in the general sense they are not.

A calculator is not a 'computer' because it can't do anything beyond its existing purpose.

The only feature I've seen ascribed to a computer that the iPad doesn't currently have is an ability to program for it on the iPad itself. But I don't know of any accepted definition of a computer that requires this. If that were the case, then the original Mac wasn't a computer because you had to program for it on a Lisa.

I still haven't seen anyone make the case authoritatively that the iPad isn't a computer.

I'm still waiting.
  • Reply 31 of 176
    corbucorbu Posts: 40member
    I bet we'll see a peek of 10.7 that looks a whole lot more like iOS. Maybe the ability to run apps...? By November, iOS will get far more capable in the content creation department.

The ultimate "one more thing" would be an MacBook Air that is essentially an iPad with a faster processor, upgradable storage, a USB port and a full keyboard. All while preserving the touch panel. This would completely blur the line between iPad and Notebook. Hopefully the Operating systems will eventually follow suit.
  • Reply 32 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

...It'll stand by itself and the camera will watch your fingers type on the tabletop and input the text...

Or we'll have gotten beyond using a 19th century input technique that's intentionally designed to be inefficient.
  • Reply 33 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

NOT a netbook - rather a full-blown notebook with a small form factor.

Correct.

People seem to forget that just a few years ago, the 12" PowerBook was a very popular model in the notebook product line.
  • Reply 34 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

A calculator is not a 'computer' because it can't do anything beyond its existing purpose.

The only feature I've seen ascribed to a computer that the iPad doesn't currently have is an ability to program for it on the iPad itself. But I don't know of any accepted definition of a computer that requires this. If that were the case, then the original Mac wasn't a computer because you had to program for it on a Lisa.

• Reply 35 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

The thing that I am wondering about is the keyboard. The "magic" of the original Air was that it retained a full-sized keyboard relative to the other Macs. If the screen shrinks that much, the bezel would go with it, which seems to me would require that the keyboard be downsized as well. It will be interesting to see what comes about next Wednesday.

It?ll fit if they use the 16:9 form factor. In fact, the width of the 12.1? 4:3 display is slightly less wide than the 11.6? 16:10 displays.

Also, if they use the 1280x800 resolution found in the current 13.3? MB/MBA/MBPs they will a PPI that is inline with the High-Resolution display options of the 15? and 17? MBPs and that of the 9.7? iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 176
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

11.6 Form Factor?

I thought Apple said they weren't going to do netbooks.

Netbook = super-slow, tiny screen (smaller than 11.6 typically) and therefore really cheap. Which is pretty cool in a way, and theoretically, “good enough” for “net” usage (surfing, email) if not much else. In reality, quickly obsolete and aggravatingly slow. (Not to mention, they don’t come with OS X.)

The Air won’t be that awful Nor that cheap... and if it was, I wouldn’t want it.

I badly want my current Air just a bit faster and with the SSD option I skipped the first time. That alone would have me craving a new machine. And it sounds like this new Air will actually be entirely new! Small is good.

I’d use it as a file server with all my most-current files on it. (Older, seldom-used files can be on an external.) I’d use my iMac’s big screen and extra speed to work on those files. But when I need to hit the road, no sync will be needed: just grab the Air which already has everything. (And of course a Time Capsule backup is part of the picture too.)

I’m already starting to use that system with my old Air. Don’t know why it took me 3 years to think of!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

People seem to forget that just a few years ago, the 12" PowerBook was a very popular model in the notebook product line.

True. I wanted one of those badly and never got one! The 12” PB lovers may finally have their dream come true next week.
  • Reply 37 of 176
    My first mac with the Titanium Powerbook at 15", followed by the 12.1" Aluminum Powerbook, followed by my current White 2006 Macbook (whose battery just reached 1300 charge cycles and still runs for 2.5 hours). By far my favorite mac was the 12.1" Powerbook. The size was amazing. Because it will be widescreen and have a higher resolution like all other macs today, that should mean that we get a lot more screen real estate than before..
  • Reply 38 of 176
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

SSD card? Could it be like the SDXC reader on the iMac, but used at the main drive?

Most likely it will be a PCI Express card or a controller interfaced via PCI Express. It could be a controller of their own design or one of the new PCI Express supporting chips to recently hit the market. There is the issue of this "drive" being a card at all as they could simply integrate it directly on the motherboard.

In a way being directly integrated on the motherboard would suck for upgrades but it would be reliable. If they go the route of direct integration hopefully they will provide a slot for expansion. The one certainty here is that there won't be enough storage space.

In any event the performance possible by going this route should be shocking. 500 to 800 MB / sec read should be no problem at all. Depending upon how aggressive they are performance could exceed that significantly. If they use an A4 type processor as the controller they might be able to do some interesting things with RAiD like tech to enhance flash reliability and fault tolerance.

All in all I'm vary curious about this new machine as it soubds like a major innovation effort upon Apples part. Hopefully they will manage the price better than the old AIR.
  • Reply 39 of 176
    Proprietary storage is not cool, Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 176
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GelfTheElf View Post

My prediction:

0. Steve will start with the usual what has happened over the past bunch of months.. He'll mention the iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon Stores.

1. Steve will announce OSX 10.7 (or 11) which will support multi-touch on screen.

2. Hello iMac touch

3. MacOSX (or ichat) to support FaceTime

4. The "one more thing" will be the new mac book air 11.6" it'll cost $999 (or maybe $1299) he'll probably say, "The world's thinnest laptop just got thinner"

Don't forget 30 minutes of combined clapping throughout the presentation, and perhaps people laughing in Steve Jobs' face like morons when he asks them to disable wifi...