Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chilli View Post

Alleged picture of the new Macbook Air 13.3-inch

HP mini 311 11.6-inch

Your conclusion?

When you match the USB port size, it's quite clear that the pictured MBA is bigger. There's some perspective distortion so the measurements come out slightly lower at 12.5".

There's a possibility that it can be a 12.1" screen but the aspect ratio doesn't suggest 16:9.

My conclusion is the following:

13", 16:10, 1280 x 800, LED backlit but probably not IPS unfortunately though it would be nice

Core 2 Duo with either 9400M or 320M (there are two chips under the heatsink) - screenshot shows Core 2 Duo but could be faked

2GB RAM soldered

128GB-256GB PCI SSD

Currently it's $1499 for 1.83GHz C2D with 120GB 4200 rpm HDD and $1799 for 2.13GHz with 128GB SSD.

I reckon the new one will be $1499 for 1.83 with 128GB PCI SSD and $1799 for 2.13 with 256GB PCI SSD.

It would be good if they put the 320M GPU in it or if not, lower the prices a bit to say $1299 and $1599.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    Thats a lot of plastic surrounding four mass produced battery cells. When the original Air was the first Macbook with an entirely integrated battery. It was also the first with a custom battery design by apple which has now spread to the entire macbook line. If this were an Apple design those batteries would be merged into a single large efficient battery to maximize life.

Only way this is an apple product is if its a very early prototype they didn't want to waste money manufacturing batteries on. Which of course is what this is claimed to be. That said, I just get sick of speculation. We'll know Wednesday and this speculation does nothing beside waste bandwidth.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Shame about mini-displayPort. I wish they'd get over it.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

Thats a lot of plastic surrounding four mass produced battery cells. When the original Air was the first Macbook with an entirely integrated battery. It was also the first with a custom battery design by apple which has now spread to the entire macbook line. If this were an Apple design those batteries would be merged into a single large efficient battery to maximize life.

if you removed the plastic "bezel" around the batteries and combined them you could easily get the equivalent of 5 in there
  • Reply 25 of 82
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    USB ports on both sides? That tells you the rumor isn't real.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

display out at 1600p, physically smaller connecter than HDMI, carries 2.1 audio, other manufacturers including Sony, lenovo and HP use it; what are they meant to be "getting over"?
  • Reply 27 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Am I the only one that thinks it is really wrong that someone got this prototype out of Apple in the first place?

If they get to here they get also to MS, Google, Dell and HP etc. Someone needs to go to jail.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Yeah, I really hate how every Mac model being sold today has the _same_ display connector. Makes it so much harder to have the wrong adapter with you - and you end up having to actually _give_ your presentation. They could at least invent a Micro Display Port in order to fill more space at Apple Stores with video adapters.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Am I the only one that thinks it is really wrong that someone got this prototype out of Apple in the first place?

The pictures look distorted so likely taken from a very small hidden camera. The blue worktop is probably inside their labs. Someone took similar photos of the iPad before it was released.

I don't think the battery will be shaped like this in the end, it's more likely to be a single battery shaped specifically for the Air.

It would be good for a similar thing to happen to the Macbook just with 2 x USB 3 on both sides and for the time being 2 drives bays for hard drives/SSD and 2 RAM slots.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The pictures look distorted so likely taken from a very small hidden camera. The blue worktop is probably inside their labs. Someone took similar photos of the iPad before it was released.

I don't think the battery will be shaped like this in the end, it's more likely to be a single battery shaped specifically for the Air.

It would be good for a similar thing to happen to the Macbook just with 2 x USB 3 on both sides and for the time being 2 drives bays for hard drives/SSD and 2 RAM slots.

If so the person who took them should be in jail. I hope Apple have ways to track him / her down. Meanwhile they really need to tighten security.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:

Do elaborate, please enlighten as to what needs getting over mate ?
  • Reply 32 of 82
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

display out at 1600p, physically smaller connecter than HDMI, carries 2.1 audio, other manufacturers including Sony, lenovo and HP use it; what are they meant to be "getting over"?

Does it only carry 2.1 audio?
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pictures of a possible MacBook Air prototype with no hard drive and extra battery space have surfaced ahead of Apple's Oct. 20 "Back to the Mac" event.

The photos, obtained by Engadget from an anonymous source, show a unibody frame that appears to be for a 13.3-inch laptop computer, which could possibly be an early prototype of an upcoming revision to the MacBook Air. The computer appears to have USB plugs on both the left and right sides, Mini DisplayPort and an SD card reader.

Engadget's source claims the rest of the machine is also unibody, including the "large single mouse button," but the screen will keep the current MacBook Air style, instead of the "edge-to-edge glass with black edges" that current MacBook Pro models have.

The laptop allegedly runs the same 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo as the current MacBook Air, further evidence that the photos are of an early prototype. Engadget's source claims "the model dates back to at least April."

The unverified photos represent "just one SKU," so Apple may have something else in store as well, wrote author Paul Miller.

AppleInsider confirmed Friday through several independent sources that Apple will release a smaller 11.6-inch MacBook Air next Wednesday at the company's "Back to the Mac" special event.

Another source familiar with the matter believes the smaller form factor will forgo conventional hard-disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD) storage options in favor of an "SSD Card" that resembles a stick of RAM, although AppleInsider is unable to confirm this detail.

Earlier this month, AppleInsider reported that supplies of the two existing 13.3-inch MacBook Airs had dried up throughout the company's indirect sales channels, suggesting that a complete overhaul to the line was imminent.

We shall see on wednesday what transpires with the mac book air.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Does it only carry 2.1 audio?

Your right, my mistake- it does do 5.1
  • Reply 35 of 82
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nuxiz View Post

Only 2 gigs of RAM? Disappointing.

First of all, 640 K should be enough for everybody.

Secondly, seriously, where the f*** do you guys come from? It's 2010 already, haven't you learned that Macs aren't about the greatest on paper specs and useless features?

Do you even know what a Macbook Air is supposed to be used for? You won't be doing 3D with it, nor edit HD movies, nor play the latest games, etc. It's not to be used as a node for a supercluster doing DNA modelling.

So, what good exactly would more than 2GB of RAM --more would have been 4GB in all probability-- would do? Get you 10% faster, if that?

Have you noticed the SSD part, which eliminates most of the I/O latency for an even better speedup?
  • Reply 36 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The pic looks legit.

C2D and 2GB RAM is a disappointment but I don’t know of many MBA owners that care about that. They care about the device functioning and no matter what CPU speed or amount of RAM you have if run out of power you can’t work, so I hope those 4 different cells are sufficient to push past the MacBook in terms of duration.

Looks like mDP and USB, and MagSafe and USB on each side, but I would think there would at least be a headphone/mic jack and SD card slot.

Hopefully they finally put the OS restore disc on an SD card. However, if storage is soldered then they could move to an iDevice like solution for restoring the OS.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chilli View Post

New Macbook Air 2010 : 13-inch, OSX 10.7

New Macbook Touch : 11.6-inch, OSX 10.7 + touch screen and IOS layer

No.

Quote:

Heaven forbid they use a port designed for a computer on their computers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Secondly, seriously, where the f*** do you guys come from? It's 2010 already, haven't you learned that Macs aren't about the greatest on paper specs and useless features?

Tell me, exactly, why you believe RAM to be a useless feature.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Heaven forbid they use a port designed for a computer on their computers.

Sarcasm, right?
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbene12 View Post

the 2 gig ram limit is what stopped me from purchasing the first Airs. Hope they figure this out.

Why? What do you think you will need more ram for? I have used the air and it runs very well.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sarcasm, right?

Of course. The only alternative I can assume he wants to use is HDMI, which is a designed-for-TV port and really has no benefit over Mini DisplayPort.