More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Doubtless after Wednesday's announcement, this forum will be filled with complaints about how people's expectations were not fulfilled:

? I was really hoping I could edit full 1080p on the 11" MBA!

? Geez. What a let down. I was wanting to be able to work with my 4k RED video. Come on Apple!

? Where's the SQUID interface??? (this will be my complaint! )

All sarcasm aside, I think the whole "Back to the Mac" theme simply means that this past year has been pretty heavily focused on i-devices: iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS. So, on Wednesday, they're gonna remind us that they've been working hard behind the scenes in the Mac OS arena, and are ready to show us what they've done.

Exactly. Thank you. I always love the people who start complaining that Apple didn't include their wild fantasy ideas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

I agree. Looking on wikipedia, the i5 560m and 580m are out as well as the i7 640m as of Sept 26th. This would mean approximate 133MHz speed bumps across the MBP line, replacing the 520M, 540M and 620M respectively.

However, no idea if the info on wikipedia is accurate or not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ile_processors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ile_processors

Perhaps the MBA will have an i7 660LM in it? http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49654

The i7 is unlikely because it's uses a lot more power than the current processor (25W vs. 17W). They could include it if they use the extra space gained by using a PCI-SSD to add more batteries, thereby keeping the battery life the same, but greatly increasing the performance.

However, as other have pointed out, it's unlikely for Apple to use an of the i-series processors in the refresh, because the i-series doesn't allow NVIDIA chipsets, only Intel chipsets, so you'd be stuck with a MBA with Intel HD graphics (which seriously blow, I believe they're worse than the 9400M currently in the MBA). So as much as I would like an ULV i-series processor in the MBA, Apple is much more likely to go with the 320M integrated graphics from the MacBook, and continue to use the Core 2 Duo's while they try and figure out how to get around Intel HD. It'll be interesting to see what Apple does with the MacBook refresh. Might have to just give all MacBook's a switchable GPU setup (dedicated vs. Intel HD) a la MacBook Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allotrope View Post

It will also be the first Mac to come with built in 3G.

Maybe, depends on what exactly that chip is in the picture.
  • Reply 82 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I agree. Once I see the next Mac OS demo, then I can start extrapolating, because I'll have a better idea of the direction Apple is going. Snow Leopard was considered a foundation to build on. I would expect the next Mac OS release to be more user focused…but there are multiple directions Apple could emphasize in the next release. I have no doubt functionality will continue to be transferred between iOS and Mac OS X, but this merger talk makes no sense. These OSs are siblings with their own defined approaches to deal with the great range in hardware, and two types of user interaction.

I agree also. It's far to early to be talking about bringing multi-touch into OS-X in the way that most people seem to assume.

I think it more likely (or perhaps this is just my hope), that 10.7 will focus on making the OS work well *with* iOS instead of merging itself with it. The updating of all the iLife apps would be a huge start. OS-X itself also has many problems in terms of usability for the average consumer and some components are only barely fleshed out.

I would expect that they clean up the mess that is QuickTime, add the old functionality back in & make it actually work for starters. It's a pretty key component. Then there is the lame excuse for an Address book, the clunky email with no integration options, and the nasty over-bloated nightmare of iTunes. iWork could also use a makeover given that the mobile version is really only a 1.0 effort and the desktop version not much better. I think a lot could be done in just smoothing out all these rough edges.

These are not all strictly speaking parts of the OS, but if Apple really wants people to use OS-X and iOS and Apple solutions for their computing needs in general, they could spend an entire year just making all this crap work together and it wouldn't be wasted time.

Obviously, for OS-X in particular and to a lessr degree iOS, there are other companies that make add on products to solve all of these issues, but the average Apple user wants Apple to make this stuff work, and won't go looking for them.
  • Reply 83 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Being as the official announcement is mere days away, it makes sense to wait for that to figure out what Apple is up to.

What's noteworthy, though, is that certainly it's clear that the iPad is nowhere close to replacing existing products. As such, there will be attention given to products like the Air and all of Apple's other machines. As noted above, the iPad has its advantages but if you're headed abroad and you need something to work with away from home, the iPad simply doesn't get it done. For example, two years ago I was shooting HD video with a hybrid camera that needs 8GB for a mere 20 minutes of video. I bought a netbook instead of still more SD cards because it was cost effective. The iPad, with its small storage capacity, would not be an alternative.

Maybe in three or four years, the iPad will evolve into a proper laptop substitute but right now, it's not even close.

I understand what you are saying, but I already use an iPad WiFi + 3G in place of my Laptop.

In fact, I am typing this on my laptop -- first time I powered it on since I bought the iPad. In fact, it gives a weird sensation of freedom and restriction ay the same time.

The Laptop's battery was dead so I replaced it with a spare -- I have 3 spares @ $129 each (1 died).

I bought a 17 Alu Book 1 GHz G4, 1 GB RAM, 55GB HDD in 2003.

Certainly, this isn't a match for the Laptops of today -- but it compares fairly well with today's netbooks.

I can run Final Cut Express on it (and have) -- but AIR, I couldn't install FCP because it requires too much HDD space.

I bought a T-Mobile PCI card so I could use it while I was in hospital 1n 2006 (had to sit by the window).

Later, when I got an iPhone, i got the tether app (before it was disallowed) and used it to access data over cell (then Edge, later 3G).

As I am retired, my primary use for a laptop was staying connected while on the go and enjoying (showing off) photos and homemade videos of my 3 grandkids. I would take the laptop to soccer (practice - 4 days per week and 3 games on Saturdays). That was the bulk of my laptop use (aside from a few overnight road trips, camping, etc.).

For impromptu usage, it was just too much hassle to cart the laptop along (especially with the extra batteries).

We recently took a day trip to the Boardwalk at Santa Cruz, CA (about 3.5 hours each way). We loaded up the 2 iPads with games and movies to entertain the 3 teenagers in the back.

The silence silence from the back was deafening -- Two adults in the front were actually able to hold a conversation -- both ways

No: "I'm bored!" "Are we there, yet?"

On the way back I commandeered the iPad 3G so we could avoid SF Bay Area rush hour traffic stalls. The kids shared the other iPad and watched a movie.

BTW, I have a Panny 10x Optical Zoom, AVCHD -SD1 that uses 8GB HDSC cards. I use it to Video Capture all the soccer games, etc. I have 3 8GB HDSC cards and the 4GB card it came with -- barely enough for a 3-game soccer Saturday.

Currently, I can import any stills to the iPad -- I expect, in the near future, the iPad will be able to upload the full HDSC card including videos (and allow me more flexibility without buying another HDSC card).

The iPad goes with me everywhere -- even if just to the backyard -- providing constant access to anything.

I appreciate that YMMV... but, you have to realize that MMMV too -- and that of others.

Oops, the laptop battery has dropped from 65 to 13% -- gotta' go!

BTW, I am sitting up in bed, with a pillow in my lap -- so I don't fry my franconies!

• Reply 84 of 110
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm all for Apple building such into a compact portable laptop. I know of some of the arguements against, but prefer to concentrate on those for the hardware. The big advantage of built in 3G/4G is not loosing the interface followed very closely by convience. It also makes such machines very attractive to travelers. Plus it keeps thoose valuable USB ports free.

Another thing about this prototype and its multiple batteries. While I acknowledge that the device is a prototype, maybe the multiple batteries are intentional. The thought being that one or more could be multi use locations in the frame. The alternative uses could be for that 3G/4G modem or as additional storage space. Just a thought.

Of course if Apple makes the modem optional they will end up charging $200 for it. I seriously wish that they would also consider built in GPS.

Like I said before I can hardly wait and I'm not even in the market this year.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

These are not all strictly speaking parts of the OS, but if Apple really wants people to use OS-X and iOS and Apple solutions for their computing needs in general, they could spend an entire year just making all this crap work together and it wouldn't be wasted time.

I’m not sure why this fact gets ignored or misunderstood, but OS X = Mac OS or Mac OS X. Apple has clearly stated that iPhone OS, now iOS came from Mac OS and has clearly shown that OS X is the umbrella term for iOS and Mac OS sub-categories. In other words, referring to OS X but excluding iOS because you really mean Mac OS seems confusing and limiting.
  • Reply 86 of 110
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Another thing about this prototype and its multiple batteries. While I acknowledge that the device is a prototype, maybe the multiple batteries are intentional. The thought being that one or more could be multi use locations in the frame. The alternative uses could be for that 3G/4G modem or as additional storage space. Just a thought.

Take a look at the component just above the alleged SSD card (same type connector, probably mini PCIe). Could this be a 3G module?
  • Reply 87 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

And after having my iPad for 6 months now I no longer accept it's limitations when traveling. I want something small and light. But I also need something that has more functionality than the iPad delivers. For the couch, the iPad is great and serves my purpose 80% of the time. But when I'm on the road, that missing 20% becomes a real problem.

Such as?
  • Reply 88 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colinng View Post

Too bad we can't use something like this Bluetooth Serial adapter.

http://www.gridconnect.com/bluetooth...ts&modal=false

I guess the only "supported" way would be for someone to develop a custom app that transmits serial over the dock connector. Hmm... hmm...

Oh wait, here it is:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...nector-design/

Holy crap, that device will be the bee's knees if it is actually allowed or actually released. The website for the company is complete balls.
  • Reply 89 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I think the whole "Back to the Mac" theme simply means that this past year has been pretty heavily focused on i-devices: iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS. So, on Wednesday, they're gonna remind us that they've been working hard behind the scenes in the Mac OS arena, and are ready to show us what they've done.

I certainly agree with this.

The difference is that some people are seeing it as the standard upgrades to Macs that we've come to expect. Others are asking "is the Mac about to evolve in some cool way". Or further - a revolution in the Mac.

The Mac could go any way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Being as the official announcement is mere days away, it makes sense to wait for that to figure out what Apple is up to.

Yeah, in theory we should stop reading the rumours entirely and just see what happens in a few days. Then again, the same could be said for reading rumours at all. It makes sense not to

And yet here we are!
  • Reply 90 of 110
    In regards to the iPad replacing the laptop, the biggest shortcoming, in my view, is that the iPad does not have nearly enough memory. If you're overseas, as I was two years ago, for nearly six weeks, you need a lot more than even 64GB to get it done.

There are other issues, including connectivity and the ability to run OSX software. I guess what I'm saying is, a full-function Mac is still needed and there are scenarios away from your home base where you need more than the iPad can offer at this time. As such, Apple will still pay close attention to its laptop and desktop offerings while at the same time evolving the iPad into a more capable device.

On the other hand, I suspect there's an iPad in my future because there are a lot of activities that I'd like to use an computing device for that the iPad can handle rather well. Being as I have a desktop system that I'm happy with and being as I don't travel a lot, spending the extra money for a Mac laptop is overkill. Still, I can certainly imagine that there are consumers who should be looking at a product like the Air.
  • Reply 91 of 110
    C'mon people. It's not going to be as powerful or have as many connectors as the MacBook Pro, or else it would be the MacBook Pro. The MBP is thin for its size already. The MBA is all about svelte portability. It's not a power user's machine.
  • Reply 92 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

C'mon people. It's not going to be as powerful or have as many connectors as the MacBook Pro, or else it would be the MacBook Pro. The MBP is thin for its size already. The MBA is all about svelte portability. It's not a power user's machine.

So no mobile G5 processor?
  • Reply 93 of 110
    Take this to the bank, this one will have a 3g microsim in there. To me it's a lock.

Other than that, I can't wait for Wednesday, I 've not been excited as much since the ipad launch. And of course nothing can top the wait and the expectations for the mactablet that myself and others had.

But I am equally excited right now to see what the air will evolve too, since I am in the market for one, and of course the direction OS X is heading for because this is a very important step in OS X's evolution.
  • Reply 94 of 110
    The problem I have is that everyone saying the iPad can't replace their desktop aren't actually giving a lot of examples of what it can't do.

Converting movies, converting audio, ripping CDs/DVDs, video editing I can all kind of understand at least until iOS 4.2 next month when I suspect iMovie will be available for iPad which I'm really looking forward to.

But for most requirements for ultra-portable devices the iPad is the perfect replacement. If your requirements are much more then I would also suggest that the MacBook Air isn't going to be enough for your needs either. There is always cloud storage for documents and photos you need access to if the drives aren't big enough.

As for RAM you'd be amazed at what an iPad can do in 256MB of RAM. It's all about efficient development of applications which most desktops don't have. I so hope that Apple makes desktop Mac OS X so refined that we're going to be able to see applications that take up megabytes of space instead of gigabytes of space leaving more room for actual data instead of wasted HDD space because of crappy badly written apps.

Remember the good old days of computing when you didn't have ludicrous RAM sizes and apps had to be real streamlined in order to fit in the requirements? We need to go back to that and iOS is actually pushing us that way.
  • Reply 95 of 110
    vrfvrf Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

The problem I have is that everyone saying the iPad can't replace their desktop aren't actually giving a lot of examples of what it can't do.

But for most requirements for ultra-portable devices the iPad is the perfect replacement. If your requirements are much more then I would also suggest that the MacBook Air isn't going to be enough for your needs either. There is always cloud storage for documents and photos you need access to if the drives aren't big enough.

For many basic computer uses, the iPad still doesn't do the trick. I'm an editor, and at the office we use some pretty old Macs. They work wonderfully for all of our magazine text needs. I'd love a slim little 11.6" Macbook that trades performance for portability and endurance. And sorry, but the clunky touchscreen iPad is a joke when you consider things like managing files or working seriously on copy. It is a toy, not a tool.
  • Reply 96 of 110
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

You are not trying to suggest you think an iPad is as productive as a desktop Mac, are you? Because it's not. It was never intended to be?
  • Reply 97 of 110
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Any info about weight? Or have I missed it..?

I'm personally more interested in weight than slimness. I'm not really going to carry it in the envelope and my backpack doesn't suffer much from extra 0.3 inch of thickness

I am actually looking for super-portable by the end of the year. I'm leaning toward Toshiba Portege R700 at the moment, but will definitely check this one when it becomes available.
  • Reply 98 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrf View Post

For many basic computer uses, the iPad still doesn't do the trick. I'm an editor, and at the office we use some pretty old Macs. They work wonderfully for all of our magazine text needs. I'd love a slim little 11.6" Macbook that trades performance for portability and endurance. And sorry, but the clunky touchscreen iPad is a joke when you consider things like managing files or working seriously on copy. It is a toy, not a tool.

Just to check - are you saying the MacBookAir works great for managing files & working seriously on copy?

(BTW I'm advocating an iBookAir (iOS), not iPad vs Netbook... and agree that writing on the iPad isn't a thing to do)
  • Reply 99 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by All Day Breakfast View Post

usb 3 would be nice

I may say you are a dreamer, but you are not the only one. \
  • Reply 100 of 110
    If it has a 3G module and has an option for matte screen - I would buy immediately.

3G - possible

matte screen - most likely not.

I stay this holiday season with Sony x/z series.