Google warns of malware when accessing AppleInsider

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Safari is telling me that AppleInsider is a malware site. Anyone else seeing this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Every now and then I get this message when I access AI.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    "Not I," said the cat.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I just got a few warnings below when I tried to open appleinsider.com moments ago.

"Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer

The website you are visiting appears to contain malware. Malware is malicious software that may harm your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Your computer can be infected just by browsing to a site with malware, without any further action on your part.

For detailed information about problems found on this site, or a portion of this site, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for lebistes.com.

Ignore Warning Go Back"

Chris

iPad in sunlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NksXmYdji1A
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Every now and then I get this message when I access AI.

I started getting this too a couple weeks ago. I was beginning to believe my machine (gasp) may have been compromised, and out of boredom a week ago, I reformatted / reinstalled OSX and still get it from time-to-time. That takes my machine out of the equation.

I'm curious what AI has to say about this.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Hmm, I just started to get this same warning for the first time this afternoon. Is the lebistes.com site legit?

BP
  • Reply 6 of 10
    i got the same warning when opening the ai page.

whats up with that?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    No problems here. I tried toggling extensions and private browsing on and off, never got a warning.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

No problems here. I tried toggling extensions and private browsing on and off, never got a warning.

I received the warning today twice. It has to be one of the ads that is rotating through maybe. Or, someone was able to do something evil to AI.

AFP548.com had something similar happen a while back:

http://www.afp548.com/article.php?st...00725143531883
  • Reply 9 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmm, an ad, I hadn't thought of that. I generally keep an ad/flash blocker running, so maybe when I tried it with those turned off the site didn't happen to have the bad egg up.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I went to Appleinsider on 10/16/10 and my windows XP work computer became infected with the "Antivirus 2010" virus...and it screwed up the OS so bad that I had to re-install. Couldn't run anti-virus...couldn't install anything.