Motorola seeks to invalidate 11 Apple iPhone-related patents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    I didn't realize that, at least in a legal capacity, NeXT still exists.
  • Reply 22 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

I didn't realize that, at least in a legal capacity, NeXT still exists.

Where did you get that?
  • Reply 23 of 96
    Reading the post? I've never seen NeXT called out in a current day patent dispute before. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention. Didn't Apple absorb NeXT or does it still exist for select things within the company like FileMaker?
  • Reply 24 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

Reading the post? I've never seen NeXT called out in a current day patent dispute before. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention. Didn't Apple absorb NeXT or does it still exist for select things within the company like FileMaker?

The only mention of NeXT in the article is to state the origin of one or more of the patents, but Motorola is suing Apple to invalidate the patents they own. When Apple ?absorbed? NeXT they also ?absorbed? the ownership of those patents and all other IP.
  • Reply 25 of 96
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahah

*breathes*

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha!!1!1!

Hello Moto! You're just too funny these days.
  • Reply 26 of 96
    I think, software patents are stupid and should not be allowed in the first place. If I sit in my basement and mind my own business, coming up with some nice method of doing this or that in my programs, I should not have to worry about some company that came up with the same method before me and put a patent on it. Next thing you know, they put a patent on how to breathe air ...
  • Reply 27 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Patents are getting ridiculous these days ... It's like McDonald's suing Burger King because Burger King puts a meat patty and cheese between 2 halves of a bun.

As simplistic as your example is, it's pretty accurate and damn funny!
  • Reply 28 of 96
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

Motorola has found out that they can not compete, so they are suing. Any other companies that legitimately have a case try to negotiate. Not Motorola. They can see that they are becoming irrelevant.

There's nothing in the article to suggest this is more than conjecture. They may have tried negotiating first. I wish more companies would settle these things out of court. Corporate litigation does affect the cost of things, and ties up the court systems.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thermaikos View Post

What is motorola?

Most of us owned more Moto phones and for many years than the iPhone, so you know who they are and I'm sure are a customer of theirs even now. Cable modem, set top cable box, etc…
  • Reply 30 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Most of us owned more Moto phones and for many years than the iPhone, so you know who they are and I'm sure are a customer of theirs even now. Cable modem, set top cable box, etc?

All third-rate.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

Motorola has found out that they can not compete, so they are suing. Any other companies that legitimately have a case try to negotiate. Not Motorola. They can see that they are becoming irrelevant.

you mean like apple is negotiating out of that 600+ million dollar award for patent violations? oh wait, they are appealing it. not good sports are they? why not pay up? losers.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All third-rate.

I'm sure you thought they were the shiznit when you had them. The Star TAC was the best cell phone I ever owned.
  • Reply 33 of 96
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Where did you get that?

Uhm, cause they were mentioned in the LAWSUIT? Catch up...
  • Reply 34 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Relax, nuisance patent lawsuits have no merit; they are just a form of trade negotiation, a kind of chess game played by corporate patent attorneys to justify their existence. The goal is to get the other side to either drop their suit or sign a cross-license deal. Either way, the attorneys make off like bandits.

Finally a voice of reason. These lawsuits are nothing more than a chest thumping pissing contest. Regardless of what you or I might think Apple needs Moto and Moto needs Apple. They'll negotiate a happy little cross licensing deal and be done with it.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Uhm, cause they were mentioned in the LAWSUIT? Catch up...

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.

AI doesn?t put any images on their forum posting of the article ? they don?t even put a link to the artcile?s main page half the time ? so I missed it.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    If you can't beat them SUE THEM !

When Apple wasn't a top player nobody cared what they were doing. Now that their on the top tier everyone is bring litigation against them. What a great world we live in.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrup View Post

I think, software patents are stupid and should not be allowed in the first place. If I sit in my basement and mind my own business, coming up with some nice method of doing this or that in my programs, I should not have to worry about some company that came up with the same method before me and put a patent on it. Next thing you know, they put a patent on how to breathe air ...

Ok, everyone who has posted here:

1. If you have a patent, raise your hand.

2. If you have have ever applied for a patent, raise your hand.

3. Heck, if you have ever had a copyright, raise your hand.

I am willing to bet the sum total of 1-3 is 0 or close to 0.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Huh? Motorola was in the cellular phone business long before Apple was, well, hardly anything.

Motorola developed the first prototype commercial use portable cellular telephone handset (the DynaTAC) in '74. But it was Bell labs that put together the first workable commercial cellular system in the US in 1984 - without which the DynaTAC couldn't work. However it was NTT in Japan in '79 that produced the global first full system of 1st gen cellular voice networking, followed closely by the NMT system in Scandinavia in '81. The DynaTAC would not become available to the commercial market until 1984. The Simon Personal Communicator, by IBM and BellSouth, was the first mobile phone to add PDA features, including pager, calculator, address book, fax machine, and e-mail device in a 20oz package costing $900 - released in '93. The lightweight Motorola StarTAC was released in 1996, and was the fore-bearer of the modern flip-phone style.

So to get your dates correct: Apple was incorporated in mid '76 and its first IPO was in '80. In fact no, Moto wasn't in it such a long time before Apple was doing business, and it can be successfully argued that Apple was "something" while Moto was trying to produce the StarTAC. Being "in the biznizz" and actually being commercially successful are two different benchmarks by the way. So the StarTAC - being Moto's first commercially available consumer cell phone was trotted out in 1996, the next year Steve Jobs returned to pull Apple out of it's death spiral and the rest, is history. You should read up on these technologies sometime. The rapidity with which these things developed is very exciting when you know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Motorola obviously believe that Apple will sue them next after they finish with HTC. Apple v HTC is really a test run for Apple v Android and Motorola is betting big on Android. What we are seeing here is a preemptive move to disarm Apple before it goes after Motorola.

I just wish all these firms would try to win by creating better products and not simply try to block the competition.

who are also busy suing the handset makers to drive licensing of various interface patents. Already have HTC on board. Moto's next and then LG, Sony Eriksson, Samsung and so on. OR, they will cut you a great deal if you make them some fine looking handsets for WinPhone 7.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Ok, everyone who has posted here:

1. If you have a patent, raise your hand.

2. If you have have ever applied for a patent, raise your hand.

3. Heck, if you have ever had a copyright, raise your hand.

I am willing to bet the sum total of 1-3 is 0 or close to 0.

That's like suggesting that I shouldn't criticize an omelette because I can't lay an egg.

Get real.