Motorola seeks to invalidate 11 Apple iPhone-related patents

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Before Apple started to pollute your mind (and everyone else)......

If Apple is 'pollution', then bring more pollution on!
  • Reply 82 of 96
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thermaikos View Post

What is motorola?

They are number 78 in the Fortune 100. is that obscure enough?
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I think Motorola will have a hard time suing around anything to do with Object Oriented graphics, as Apple and NeXT were using them before Motorola even knew what a mobile phone was.

"Speaking of cell phones, there's a very interesting/amusing story on the development of the mobile phone in the winter issue of Invention and Technology magazine. Motorola introduced the world's first handheld portable cell phone in 1973."

But let's not let facts get in the way of a great opinion!
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

They are number 78 in the Fortune 100. is that obscure enough?

Wow! Must be very edge-innovative company!

But what Motorola do?

What Motorola products are?
  • Reply 85 of 96
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Motorolla has been rated in the past as having the highest rate of quality control and one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings.

Ah, that explains why Moto's sales dropped by a hundred million units in just a couple of years.
  • Reply 86 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Ok, everyone who has posted here:

1. If you have a patent, raise your hand.

2. If you have have ever applied for a patent, raise your hand.

3. Heck, if you have ever had a copyright, raise your hand.

I am willing to bet the sum total of 1-3 is 0 or close to 0.

Everyone who has ever made a mark on paper has a copyright. Wikipedia has a good article on it.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Six Sigma?

I think Motorola will have a hard time suing around anything to do with Object Oriented graphics, as Apple and NeXT were using them before Motorola even knew what a mobile phone was.

Motorola still doesn't know what a mobile phone is
  • Reply 88 of 96
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrup View Post

I think, software patents are stupid and should not be allowed in the first place. If I sit in my basement and mind my own business, coming up with some nice method of doing this or that in my programs, I should not have to worry about some company that came up with the same method before me and put a patent on it. Next thing you know, they put a patent on how to breathe air ...

Why is it so different H/W patents, Pharmaceutical patents, Genetically modified crop patents etc...,
  • Reply 89 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Riiiight.... you know Motorola, the company which is sooo incredibly innovative that they invented.... (crickets chirping)

My friend Motorola invented first practical mobile phone. Search name "Martin cooper" on google. They played important role in setting up mobile industry as we know it today.

They invented first multimedia phone motorazr which was as ground breaking as iphone when launched.

Though they are having tough times now (due to their own mismanagement), please dont insult them.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm sure you thought they were the shiznit when you had them. The Star TAC was the best cell phone I ever owned.

The StarTAC was an awesome phone. Motorola was right up there with Nokia in Europe in the mid-90's.
  • Reply 91 of 96
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Anybody know of any intellectual property law firms that have gone public? I'm looking for new growth stocks!
  • Reply 92 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Anybody know of any intellectual property law firms that have gone public? I'm looking for new growth stocks!

None exist. It would be unethical to sell stock in a law firm to the public.
  • Reply 93 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samban View Post

Motorola still doesn't know what a mobile phone is

Motorola makes what some people think is the best current cellphone, the Droid X.

Here's the web page:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...-DROID-X-US-EN
  • Reply 94 of 96
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

The interesting thing here is Motorola are not trying to block the iPhone. They are trying to get the patents declared invalid

I don't see anything interesting about it. That's what a patent is: a legalized block against others from entering a market. A patent gives its holder (Apple in this case) exclusive access to a market for a limited time (regardless of whether the patent holder intends to pursue the market or not).

Quote:

so later on Apple cannot use them against Motorola. Even if Apple loses it shouldn't impact the iPhone.

But it would impact iPhone sales, which would in turn impact the iPhone experience in numerous ways, many of which would be negative.

Quote:

Apple gets to revolutionize the industry. Android handsets are improved to counter Apple. Apple improves the iPhone to stay ahead. The consumer wins.

You seem to be suggesting Google and the Android handset manufacturers are doing the right thing by copying Apple-patented features. Any "win" is short term and primarily benefits Google/Android, is not a win for the market maker Apple, and arguably is not a win for iPhone owners.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

The StarTAC was an awesome phone. Motorola was right up there with Nokia in Europe in the mid-90's.

The RAZR was an awesome-looking phone, with crappy software. I almost forked out $500+ for an early version but was ultimately dissuaded by the atrocious software.
  • Reply 96 of 96
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    i sometimes wonder if patents are filed for the sole purpose of hopefully extracting large sums of money from alleged patent violators.