Source: Leaked MacBook Air photo is of new 11.6-inch model

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An image that leaked late last week showing an unreleased base component of an Apple notebook design is believed to be of the company's forthcoming 11.6-inch MacBook Air, rather than the larger model, AppleInsider has been told.

The image that appeared on Engadget was said to be of a new 13-inch MacBook Air by the source that submitted. However, a person familiar with both new MacBook Air models -- Apple is said to be keeping the 13-inch in its portfolio -- tells AppleInsider that the unit in the photo more closely resembles the 11.6 model, which is code-named K18.

According to this person, the unit in the photo is indeed an earlier prototype, as the model Apple plans to release includes changes to the componentry, such as the internal batteries. However, the 13.3-inch model's internals are somewhat more distinguishable due to the added real-estate in its chassis, which don't match up with the photo, this person suggested.

A recent analysis of the photo conducted over the weekend also appears to corroborate this claim. While the analysis doesn't provide conclusive evidence that the model in the photo is of an enclosure suited for an 11.6-inch screen, it does show device to resemble a notebook closer to 10 inches than 13 inches.

Apple will introduce the new MacBook Airs on Wednesday at its Back to the Mac event, which is also expected to include some news on the next-generation Mac OS X operating system: 10.7 Lion.

The software has been making the rounds inside Apple under the internal code-name "Barolo" -- coined after the prestigious Italian wines from the Piedmont region -- since early 2010. It's expected to include at least one revolutionary new feature, in addition iOS device tie-ins such as a FaceTime framework.

For more on AppleInsider's breaking reports on the new MacBook Airs, please see:

Sources: Apple to unveil revamped 11.6-inch MacBook Air next week

More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs

Apple's MacBook Air supply dries up as rumors of new 11.6-inch model persist

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Screen sizes are measured diagonally so an 11.6" screen does jibe with a MacBook that is 10" wide.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    So, we will get a Apple Netbook?

Sorry, sorry, I shouldn't mention the "N" word here
  • Reply 3 of 55
    This has a full notebook class processor. A sub-notebook, or "ultra portable". Netbooks have weaker processors. The size alone isn't enough to classify it as a netbook.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

It’ll be the first netbook that doesn’t suck.

Apple has a habit of making things great. Look at the MP3 player, smartphone, and tablet computer, and you’ll understand what I mean.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    These rumors of a new, smaller, faster MacBook Air is gaining my interest back into this machine. The iPad looks great and all, but running a small business it would be ideal to have a MacBook Air for what I do instead of the basic iPad. The Mac Pro that I have for business and a MacBook Air for portable use would be amazing if the features and price are right. The smaller form factor is sounding great too. I hope this Back to the Mac event is great! It's about time we get back to Mac topics.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    It seems as if connected by the bottom side, and not by any the borders, just look closer... is it possible?... Maybe I'm just freaking out
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simonsharks View Post

It will be interesting to hear Jobs explain the lack of a full size keyboard on the 11".

Apple is introducing a new feature... as you get closer to this MBA your hands begin to shrink. Magic!
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Apple is not switching to Intel.

Apple is not making a phone.

Apple is not making a tablet.

Apple is not entering the ad market.

Apple is not making a netbook.

• Reply 9 of 55
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

It will be interesting to hear Jobs explain the lack of a full size keyboard on the 11".

A keyboard with the dimensions of the Apple Wireless keyboard would fit on a 11.6" notebook so he won't have to.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

He won't necessarily have to. If they screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio and not the current 16:10, the new MBA would not be much less wide than the current one. If Apple then went ahead a cut some off some of the unused margin on both sides of the keyboard and let the bottom part essentially look like the wireless keyboard, there would be enough space for a full-sized keyboard.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    "It's expected to include at least one revolutionary new feature...."

It will blend?
  • Reply 12 of 55
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

Steve Jobs provided several reasons why he felt netbooks sucked:

1) They are underpowered (i.e. use Atom processors)

2) The screens are of terrible quality

3) They use cramped/undersized keyboards

An 11.6" Air would be none of those things:

1) It won't use an Atom processor (it will likely be Core2 duo or an AMD equivalent to an i3/i5 to get around the integrated graphics issue)

2) Apple generally uses some pretty good displays

3) A full size keyboard fits in a 16:9 11.6" laptop (easily once you add space for the bezel)

In short an 11.6" MBA would not be a netbook. It would be an ultraportable, which is what the current Air is as well.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple is not switching to Intel.

Apple is not making a phone.

Apple is not making a tablet.

Apple is not entering the ad market.

Apple is not making a netbook.

Um, your point (other than snarkieness)?
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

A keyboard with the dimensions of the Apple Wireless keyboard would fit on a 11.6" notebook so he won't have to.

This is not true. The 11.5" is diagonal, meaning the width would be more like 9" or 9.5". The current Wireless keyboard is about 11" wide.

I would bet Steve will reference how it isn't any smaller than using the iPad as his excuse.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

My 13.3" MacBook Pro (at work, hurrah!) has an inch on either side of the keyboard. The 11.6" version will have a full size keyboard, no problem, there just won't be the same gap at the sides.

11.6" - Core 2 Duo, 320M, 2GB, 64GB

13.3" - Core i3, Intel I/O, discrete AMD graphics, 4GB, 128GB
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is not true. The 11.5" is diagonal, the width would be more like 9" or 9.5". The current Wireless keyboard is about 11" wide.

Correct.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:

The MacBook I have here contains a 10.75" wide keyboard (approximately).

The new enclosure will either fit snugly or the keyboard will be ever so slightly smaller (which I doubt).

My main concern is the screen...will it be glossy and therefore unusable outdoors? This is one area that I am not optimistic about.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Add to that 9" the size of the bezel, whatever size they make it. The current Air's screen bezel is pretty big.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is not true. The 11.5" is diagonal, meaning the width would be more like 9" or 9.5". The current Wireless keyboard is about 11" wide.

I would bet Steve will reference how it isn't any smaller than using the iPad as his excuse.

Have a look the width of most notebooks with a 16:9 11,6" screen.... 11"!
  • Reply 20 of 55

Apple has made a full size keyboard in a laptop with a smaller footprint before, the Powerbook G4 12 inch. Odds are, the new rumored 11.6 inch Air will look similar around the keyboard, with the newer chicklet design of course.