Steve Jobs squashes rumors of smaller, 7-inch iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Monday took pause during his company's fourth quarter conference call to extinguish rumors that the company is working on a smaller iPad based around a 7-inch screen.

"The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit that price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software," Jobs said on Monday's quarterly earnings conference call.Â*"As a software driven company we think about the software strategies first."

"We know developers aren't going to deal well with these different sizes and they have to change their software every time the screen size changes," he added. "When we make decisions on 7-inch tablets it's not about cost, it's about the value of the product when you factor in the software."

You see what I'm getting at?," Jobs continued. "So we're all about making the best products at aggressive prices and that's what we do, and that's what we will do with the iPad and iPod."

Asked by an analyst how he would respond -- and whether Apple would lose share -- if the market suddenly moves to a lower price point with fewer features, Jobs said "You're looking at it wrong, [Â?] looking at it as a hardware manufacturer who doesn't know much about software who assumes the software will take care of itself."

"Hm, how can we make this cheaper? Â*Well let's put a smaller screen, slower processor, less memory, and you just assume the software will somehow come alive on this product but it won't," Jobs quipped. "Developers have taken advantage of faster processors and bigger screens to make better apps for customers."Â*

"It's a hard one," the Apple co-found said of such a strategy, "because it throws you in the chicken-and-egg question to change assumptions on developers."Â*Most developers won't follow that lead, he suggest. Instead, they're more likely to say, "Sorry, I'm not going to write a watered down version of my app just because you can sell this version of your phone for $50 less."

Rumors of a 7-inch iPad have come from numerous publications, but were first dispersed by Taiwan's DigiTimes. In addition, other reports, largely from the Far East, have alleged that Apple is working on a smaller version of the iPad.

Those reports suggested that the current iPad is too heavy for users, and that a smaller form factor and lighter weight would be more ideal for reading.

Jobs' comments on Monday come as a number of competitors are embracing the 7-inch form factor with their own touchscreen tablets. Samsung's Galaxy Tab is set to launch this year with all four major U.S. wireless carriers, while BlackBerry plans to release its own PlayBook in early 2011.

Earlier this month, it was suggested that Apple developed a 7-inch iPad alongside the current model, but eventually opted just to release the current 9.7-inch model. Jobs' comments Monday would support that rumor, as the CEO noted that his company has done extensive research on touchscreen interfaces and what works best for users.

"We really understand this stuff," Jobs said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Monday took pause during his company's fourth quarter conference call to extinguish rumors that the company is working on a smaller iPad based around a 7-inch screen...

His argument makes no sense. Users can type faster on a small iPhone keyboard than on the iPad. There are many productivity apps for the iPhone that are both easier to use and have more features than those on the iPad. Pages, and numbers would both work just fine on a 7" screen and there wouldn't be any problem with the buttons as he says. He's either lying or just justifying a position he's already held for some other reason.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    He does make sense...but I would have bought both the current size and a 7" for traveling!

If Apple builds it I will buy it!

In a perfect world where money was no object, I would have the top of the line 27" iMac...the new MBA, an iPad 3Gs and my iPhone 4....some overlap to be sure...but, I want the best tool at hand for the specific job at hand! Am I wrong?

Best
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Apple will not make a 7" iPad

until a 300+ DPI 7" retina display is available for the new 7" Apple iPad!
  • Reply 4 of 66
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Nice way to kill this rumor that's been going on for a few months now.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I appreciate his candor on this rumor. I look forward to the 2nd gen iPad because I'll be in the market for it then. Now I just need a strong shot of patience
  • Reply 6 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

His argument makes no sense. Users can type faster on a small iPhone keyboard than on the iPad. There are many productivity apps for the iPhone that are both easier to use and have more features than those on the iPad. Pages, and numbers would both work just fine on a 7" screen and there wouldn't be any problem with the buttons as he say.

- No they can't

- No there aren't

- No they wouldn't
  • Reply 7 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    However, a larger iPad is not ruled out.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

- No they can't

- No there aren't

- No they wouldn't

Agreed.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    I'm glad he squashed this rumor. I thought it was a horrible idea.

Apple doesn't usually copy others... but most everyone copies Apple. Even if he seems overly defiant it may be because that's one of his core beliefs. Innovate, don't copy.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    If there's money to be made developers will do anything.

Nobody has suggested that a smaller tablet should be slower or contain less memory.

It's not about price, it's about size. The iPhone is too small, the iPad is too big.

Some day I believe Apple will realize that.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Wonderful.

Except now all the whiners are going to come out and say, "But Steve said the same thing about the iPhone, the iPod video, etc., so he must be lying. 7" iPad is imminent!".

Morons.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Well, I think that puts the 7" tablet rumor to rest. I would have tried it out with interest but would probably go for the 9.7" iPad 2 anyway. I'm waiting for the second one. Would have bought the iPad but my budget this year only allowed for the new iMac, a few iPods and the Apple TV for the family.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

- No they can't

- No there aren't

- No they wouldn't

How childish.

I know you are but what am I?
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's not about price, it's about size. The iPhone is too small, the iPad is too big.

Yes, Someday next year, after Apple sells it's 25 millionth iPad (in less than one year from actual production release), they will start to see the light.

......for sure !!
  • Reply 15 of 66
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If there's money to be made developers will do anything.

Nobody has suggested that a smaller tablet should be slower or contain less memory.

Yeah... they're total idiots in Cupertino.

BTW, how many billions did you rake in last quarter?

Thought so.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:

How childish.

Your argument has absolutely no factual basis and is laughable to be considered true.

Better? Because that's what he said.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:

How childish.

I am using an iPhone and iPad daily and I agree with his (childish?) assessment of your (childish?) comments, but generalizations they are, both. I couldn't imagine editing in Pages, Numbers or Keynote on a 7" iPad. I don't have elven hands (never had) and eagle eyes (anymore).

The iPhone works for many things (as a crutch), but the iPad actually allows me to leave my Macbook at home more and more often (and access my Windows PC remotely when I need to access our work servers for files on the road). A 7 inch iPad would be lighter, but the screen would be too small for my taste and the battery life would be worse. The iPad is not too heavy for me.

YMMV, but I agree with Steve Jobs on this (and the R&D Apple has conducted, probably including a 7 inch screen ).
  • Reply 18 of 66
    As usual, Steve Jobs is 100% right and anybody who disagrees with him is 100% wrong.

Everybody else is blatant liars & manipulators, whereas Steve Jobs is the ONLY CEO IN AMERICA who plays it completely straight & honest with the world.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

As usual, Steve Jobs is 100% right and anybody who disagrees with him is 100% wrong.

Everybody else is blatant liars & manipulators, whereas Steve Jobs is the ONLY CEO IN AMERICA who plays it completely straight & honest with the world.

um... NO-ONE can be ALWAYS right, honest, etc.

Steve Jobs is probably right 95%+ of the time, but deffinetly not always, i do agree that 7' is way to small, but, the current ipad is larger (diagonally) than some netbooks... it is a great product though.

i personally would like on that is slightly smaller, like 8.5 inches or something like that.

but Steve Jobs is right when it comes to mass consumer products, over 99% if the time, i must remember (and a lot of other people should remember to) that: i am not the majority
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:

His argument makes no sense. Users can type faster on a small iPhone keyboard than on the iPad. There are many productivity apps for the iPhone that are both easier to use and have more features than those on the iPad. Pages, and numbers would both work just fine on a 7" screen and there wouldn't be any problem with the buttons as he says. He's either lying or just justifying a position he's already held for some other reason.

I thoroughly disagree, with a chuckle, about typing faster on an iPhone compared to an iPad. I can easily type 40-50 wpm on an iPad and about 10-20 on an iPhone.