Apple's Steve Jobs slams Google, RIM, and rival tablet makers on conference call

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LanPhantom View Post

I think a lot of people interpret Steve's tone of whining with a slightly defensive stance.

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong, I think he is spot on target. I just remember him talking to mossburg and company on Flash and he nailed it, not by being whiny or defensive in stance ... but buy being the technical guru he is.
  • Reply 22 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What you see as bitching, I see as setting the record straight. If he doesn't do that, who is going to ... you? .... not bloody likely!

agreed
  • Reply 23 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs then quipped that small form-factor tablets will need to ship with sandpaper so users can file down their fingers to the point where they can hit smaller targets on the screen. Elements can only get so small before users can't perform these types of touch and pinch gestures, Jobs insisted.

Use two styluses like chop sticks to do a pinch.

Nah, we wouldn't be cruel enough to plant this idea at Microsoft, would we...?
  • Reply 24 of 180
    Quote:

What you see as bitching, I see as setting the record straight. If he doesn't do that, who is going to ... you? .... not bloody likely!

Agreed. Steve sets the record straight and presents a coherent and proven vision.
  • Reply 25 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LanPhantom View Post

I agree with that.

Did he forget that people are doing just fine on his 3.5 inch screen?

I bet he was checking email on his iPhone while making that comment. :-)

AI should have included the full quote. What Steve said about sanding down finger points makes much more sense when taken in the full context.

Steve is explaining how a 7" screen is only 45% the size of the iPad screen. Then he mentions how some thoughts are to simply increase the resolution (to have roughly the same number of pixels as the iPad).

Steve's point isn't pixel count though. His point is the physical size of the UI elements on the screen. With only 45% of the screen real estate, you don't have nearly as much room for your UI. If you just shrink everything down (with smaller pixels) that's when you would need your finger points filed down. Anyway, it all makes perfect sense when listened to in the full context. AI should have done a better job on that quote.

And yes, the iPhone 4 has smaller pixels (and higher resolution), but the UI elements (icons, buttons, text fields, etc...) are the same physical size. Even if a 7" tablet has the same resolution as a 10" iPad, the screen real estate just isn't there.
  • Reply 26 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

jobs is just showing once again he is the worlds biggest a_ _Hole. Isn't time for him to die?

Bitter much? Your feelings hurt that Apple is kicking the crap out of Samsung and LG? I'm a Korean-American, by the way.
  • Reply 27 of 180
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

AAPL down $18 as I'm typing this.

Unsophisticated investors being taken advantage of in the after hours market following an earnings call is nothing new...

Analysts will all adjust their forecasts up in the coming the weeks...
  • Reply 28 of 180
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

This is a very good point. Developers also have the problem of keeping backword compatability ... especially on the 3G's that have much less memory and no ability to multitask.

Developers don't have to worry about multitasking. The OS take care of everything.

Quote:

There is even the added problem of the xCode versions coming out without the ability to compile back to 3.0, so when designing to 4.0 features what will happen to 3.0 iOS 3g phone, or even older phones ... well that needs to be tested.

Developers can compile their apps to run on any version they want, including iPhone OS 3.0. Apple made it real easy for developers to identify the device and features. A good developer won't have any problem in that area.
  • Reply 29 of 180
    Listened, Steve is awesome, on a very articulate brilliant roll! Very enthusiastic, precise, well thought out, clear as a bell. What a Titan! All cylinders firing like a rocket!
  • Reply 30 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

Steve, you're running the second largest company in the world, you really don't need to bitch like this.

Since when are Americans the whole bloody world? World-wide, Apple's at best (considering the latest info) 5th in terms of profit and 65th in terms of revenue. A good "Job" all-in-all, but let's not exaggerate.
  • Reply 31 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

He wasn't talking about phones / itouch sized devices, they are suppose to be small. He was talking about tablets., that's kind of the point

I'm sick of saying this already, but everyone is just not noticing how senseless his remarks are. Jobs is saying 7" tablets are not viable because they are too small to have a good UI, but the iPhone is smaller and has a good UI. It's just not a sensible argument.
  • Reply 32 of 180
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We think this is a huge strength of our approach vs Google's. *We think integrated will trump fragmented every time. *We think developers will be more innovative by focusing on one handset, rather than testing against a lot of hardware. *No matter how many times Google tries to characterize it as closed, we are confident iPhone will triumph."

Indeed the iphone will triumph. Better user interface overall.
  • Reply 33 of 180
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

"Jobs then quipped that small form-factor tablets will need to ship with sandpaper so users can file down their fingers to the point where they can hit smaller targets on the screen. Elements can only get so small before users can't perform these types of touch and pinch gestures, Jobs insisted."

I had that problem with my iPod touch and quit using it after a month or so. Seems like a weird thing for Jobs to say.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. He was saying that the iPod Touch is too small to use well. But he didn't realize it? His comments seem ill-advised and unscripted.
  • Reply 34 of 180
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

Bitter much? Your feelings hurt that Apple is kicking the crap out of Samsung and LG? I'm a Korean-American, by the way.

Samsung makes their "A4". I don't think you knew that.

Jobs becoming vocal like this only proves that he's VERY worried about other competition. To use words like "fragmentation" over and over again makes me laugh at him, when developers in his marketplace are already fragmented and frustrated.

Jobs v2.0 will be on his way out again soon. At this rate, it shouldn't take very long.
  • Reply 35 of 180
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Agreed, but if you listened, his tone was very whiny when talking about the 7" form and the google problem of oem's doing proprietary things to android.

He is correct of course, but the tone was whiny.

At the ATD interview he sounded like a guru ... here he was whining.

I haven't heard the transcript yet, but I will. I would say, however, that I find Steve's style of speaking, and his facial expressions when giving his viewpoint, are more akin to somebody who is amazed that not everyone else"gets it", especially when it's so "obvious" to him. This is somewhat typical of a true genius .... slightly impatient ... as their thinking is way ahead of most of us. I can easily see where this might come off as bitching.
  • Reply 36 of 180
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vatdoro View Post

Steve's point isn't pixel count though. His point is the physical size of the UI elements on the screen. With only 45% of the screen real estate, you don't have nearly as much room for your UI. If you just shrink everything down (with smaller pixels) that's when you would need your finger points filed down. Anyway, it all makes perfect sense when listened to in the full context. AI should have done a better job on that quote.

And yes, the iPhone 4 has smaller pixels (and higher resolution), but the UI elements (icons, buttons, text fields, etc...) are the same physical size. Even if a 7" tablet has the same resolution as a 10" iPad, the screen real estate just isn't there.

Well said.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed. Steve sets the record straight and presents a coherent and proven vision.

Definitely. One can't help but lol at those complaining about "bitching" when competitors spend entire conferences taking swipes at Apple. Steve certainly is entitled to a right of reply, and as you say, he's simply putting the record straight and presenting his take on what Apple are endeavouring to achieve.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

He wasn't talking about phones / itouch sized devices, they are suppose to be small. He was talking about tablets., that's kind of the point

His comments are even more applicable to a 3.2 inch screen than a 7 inch screen. That is the point he wishes people would overlook.
  • Reply 38 of 180
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

• Reply 39 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonarKitten View Post

Since when are Americans the whole bloody world? World-wide, Apple's at best (considering the latest info) 5th in terms of profit and 65th in terms of revenue. A good "Job" all-in-all, but let's not exaggerate.

I think he was referring to market cap, not revenues or profits. Apple is indeed the second largest company in the world in market capitalization behind Exxon. Apple surpassed China Petro several weeks ago which, until then, had been number two in the world in market cap.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

His comments are even more applicable to a 3.2 inch screen than a 7 inch screen. That is the point he wishes people would overlook.

Except that they don't sell apps like iWork for the iPod touch. The iPad is a viable general purpose computer. The iPhone and touch are not.