Apple's Steve Jobs slams Google, RIM, and rival tablet makers on conference call

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Samsung makes their "A4". I don't think you knew that.

They should aim to make a product with it that generates as much profit as Apple's products, don't you think?
  • Reply 42 of 180
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

His comments are even more applicable to a 3.2 inch screen than a 7 inch screen. That is the point he wishes people would overlook.

He was very careful to talk about "tablet apps" rather than "touch apps". He's saying that a tablet is a device that you can realistically work on for an extended period of time and to do more "serious" work, and for that you need at least a 10" screen.
  • Reply 43 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

What you see as bitching, I see as setting the record straight. If he doesn't do that, who is going to ... you? .... not bloody likely!

Well said!
  • Reply 44 of 180
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonarKitten View Post

Since when are Americans the whole bloody world? World-wide, Apple's at best (considering the latest info) 5th in terms of profit and 65th in terms of revenue. A good "Job" all-in-all, but let's not exaggerate.

But the second largest in the whole great big world in Market cap.. (You know the value of a publicly traded company). It is currently 290.51B.

Latest info from Yahoo (unless you believe TBH is really is valued at 6.4T instead of the 6.4B it really is)

Symbol\tCompany\t Retail Price\tMarket Cap \t

XOM\tExxon Mobil Corporation Common\t 65.19\t 331.94B\t

AAPL\tApple Inc.\t 314.74\t 287.54B\t

PTR\t PetroChina Company Limited Com 128.86\t 235.84B\t

No one is exaggerating, you just did not understand the discussion.
  • Reply 45 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Yep. My thoughts exactly. He was saying that the iPod Touch is too small to use well. But he didn't realize it? His comments seem ill-advised and unscripted.

Um. It's obvious that he meant *tablet* apps (i.e. those intended for the *iPad*, not iPhone) would be too small on a screen with 45% less area, and that he didn't think developers would be keen on having to make a special 7" version too. Are you guys just being intentionally dense here, or what?
  • Reply 46 of 180
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I agree. I thought it was embarrassing. I've always admired people who build themselves up by doing well, not by tearing others down. It seemed unnecessary and uncharacteristic, like a teenager awkwardly telling the girl he wants to like him what's wrong with all the other boys in the class.

I think some observers are gonna wonder what's going on with him. Maybe I've got it wrong.

Yes, you've got it wrong... There is nothing embarrassing about setting the record straight.
  • Reply 47 of 180
    Quote:

We create our own A4 chip, software, battery chemistry, enclosure, everything.

OK - I knew about all of these except for the battery chemistry. Does anyone know where I can find out more about this? I had assumed Apple was getting custom form factor batteries, but was surprised to hear they're customizing the chemistry.
  • Reply 48 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed. Steve sets the record straight and presents a coherent and proven vision.

Good call! Imagine if all CEO's talked this concisely! I personally find it refreshing!
  • Reply 49 of 180
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Um. It's obvious that he meant *tablet* apps (i.e. those intended for the *iPad*, not iPhone) would be too small on a screen with 45% less area, and that he didn't think developers would be keen on having to make a special 7" version too. Are you guys just being intentionally dense here, or what?

Wouldn't be the first time...
  • Reply 50 of 180
    Quote:

Jobs becoming vocal like this only proves that he's VERY worried about other competition. To use words like "fragmentation" over and over again makes me laugh at him, when developers in his marketplace are already fragmented and frustrated.

Jobs v2.0 will be on his way out again soon. At this rate, it shouldn't take very long.

I know very well that Samsung makes the A4, flash memory chips and a lot of the displays for Apple.

Ummm... Jobs "v2.0" will be out again soon? Man, talk about not having a clue...
  • Reply 51 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yeah.. I am starting to see this nano watch everywhere. Maybe Apple can bring back the wrist watch to life.

I'm sad because I just got a new watch a couple of months ago

I would totally do this.
  • Reply 52 of 180
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonarKitten View Post

Since when are Americans the whole bloody world?

What does this have to do with anything?

Quote:

World-wide, Apple's at best (considering the latest info) 5th in terms of profit and 65th in terms of revenue.

and only second in world-wide in market value (outstanding shares times current share price) behind Exxon.

-> Apple poised to become largest public company in America

Quote:

A good "Job" all-in-all, but let's not exaggerate.

No exaggeration at all.
  • Reply 53 of 180
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

...which is becoming a double-edged sword.

There truly is an app for that, and it's becoming very, very difficult to get noticed. You have to be exceptionally good if you want any share of the app market today.

Which may be great for the consumers and the platform, but I see the wheat separating from the chaff (i.e. the also-ran apps dropping out) in the not too distant future.

As Martha would say: .... and that's a good thing!
  • Reply 54 of 180
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Jobs becoming vocal like this only proves that he's VERY worried about other competition. To use words like "fragmentation" over and over again makes me laugh at him, when developers in his marketplace are already fragmented and frustrated.

Jobs v2.0 will be on his way out again soon. At this rate, it shouldn't take very long.

Yes, the company isn't turning any profit. I bet they get rid of him tomorrow!
  • Reply 55 of 180
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    removed unnecessary comment

sweet revenge eh, mr.h
  • Reply 56 of 180
    Quote:

Developers don't have to worry about multitasking. The OS take care of everything.

Actually developers do have to worry about how to incorporate the iOS4 multitasking features such as alarm notification and sound control, etc. The IOS takes care of it, but there is a new methods to deal with it. Any code you compile that deals with the newer multitasking features will not work on 3.2 or smaller, so it behooves to developer to test on iPhone4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPhone (perhaps), and iPad.

Quote:

Developers can compile their apps to run on any version they want, including iPhone OS 3.0. Apple made it real easy for developers to identify the device and features. A good developer won't have any problem in that area.

Yes this is true and a point i should have clarified. Developers can currently compile to 3.2 (current iPad), but multi-tasking features are not currently allowed on 3.2 devices, among other things like game kit, iAd, etc. so again, you have to use all these devices to test and make sure it all works, which i believe was the original posters point.
  • Reply 57 of 180
    Quote:

Yeah.. I am starting to see this nano watch everywhere. Maybe Apple can bring back the wrist watch to life.

Yeah, awhile back Woz had some real cool sunglasses:

Sorry, this is the best picture I could find:

If you look closely, you can see that the lenses are the colors and shape of the original striped Apple logol

• Reply 58 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, awhile back Woz had some real cool sunglasses:

Sorry, this is the best picture I could find:

If you look closely, you can see that the lenses are the colors and shape of the original striped Apple logol

Elton John would look good in those glasses.
  • Reply 59 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

As Martha would say: .... and that's a good thing!

At least until developers are forced to take a hard look at overcrowding & saturation on the App Store versus fragmentation on Android.
  • Reply 60 of 180
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Why o Why would S. Jobs have to show up for the conference call?

Apple needed the best curve ball pitcher in history. Everybody lining up to take a swing at the 7" iPad's future might just trip up one of his setup guys. Jobs could just keep pitching his best curve balls and debunking the myth of the super hitters RIMM and GOOGLE.

That way when the Cupertino Apple come up with their version of the 7", people will be smitten with it. Then they will realize that the curve ball was coming at them at the speed of a fast ball. No surprise that they still couldn't hit it.