Apple's Steve Jobs slams Google, RIM, and rival tablet makers on conference call

Comments

• Reply 121 of 180
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel001 View Post

Steve, you're running the second largest company in the world, you really don't need to bitch like this.

Steve said what he said because he can't help himself. It's the way he's built by his own reckoning and its very much at the core of everything Apple. Sometimes it comes across as bitchy but to stop it would be counterproductive because it is what makes him what he is.

Here is a very illuminating piece of writing on SJ called Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos meet "Ginger" which goes a long way to illustrate the kind of person SJ is. It has been posted here before I know but it is always worth a second read.
  • Reply 122 of 180
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Again, not quite true..

I had an iPhone app that had several tabs and drill downs where the user could enter or modify data.

Until iOS 4 I was able to save state with the following in the appropriate ViewControllers:

Code:

- (void)viewWillDisappearBOOL)animated {

[super viewWillDisappear:animated];

if(DEBUG) MLogString(@"viewWillDisappear: ");

[(id)[[UIApplication sharedApplication] delegate] performSelectorOnMainThread:@selector(saveQuote) withObject:nil waitUntilDone:YES];

With iOS4 i had to add the following because the viewWillDisappear callback is not triggered when an app is suspended (home button single press)

I had to add the following to the appDelegate to save state in iOS 4 and above when a task is suspended):

Code:

- (void)applicationDidEnterBackgroundUIApplication *)application {

if(DEBUG) MLogString(@"applicationDidEnterBackground: |%@|", [self dateInFormat:@"%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S"]);

[self saveQuote];

}

No big deal... once I figured out what was[n't] happening.

Yes that was similar to the problem I had. If your view perform some things before they disappear on pre 4.0 then they will not work after 4.0 because the app will not terminate and the viewWillDisappear will not be called. I actually had to do some modifications to my apps to get it working correctly. However, everything in the view will not be lost because iOS will keep it in the memory. It will will only be lost if iOS decided to terminate it because it needs the memory for another app. This is why it is important to call your usual viewWillDisappear stuff in applicationDidEnterBackground.
  • Reply 123 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Samsung makes their "A4". I don't think you knew that.

Jobs becoming vocal like this only proves that he's VERY worried about other competition. To use words like "fragmentation" over and over again makes me laugh at him, when developers in his marketplace are already fragmented and frustrated.

Jobs v2.0 will be on his way out again soon. At this rate, it shouldn't take very long.

The apple stock is at $318 per share, he has contributed to the growth of the company, more than any other CEO (to any company) in history and because he makes a few MAYBE ill-advised comments, you think he will soon leave or be kicked out of Apple.

I nominate your comments as "I do not know what I am talking about, so I talk crap' award for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Yeah your comments deserve the life time non-achievement award for 'I wish had not made those comments'
  • Reply 124 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

The apple stock is at $318 per share, he has contributed to the growth of the company, more than any other CEO (to any company) in history and because he makes a few MAYBE ill-advised comments, you think he will soon leave or be kicked out of Apple.

I nominate your comments as "I do not know what I am talking about, so I talk crap' award for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Yeah your comments deserve the life time non-achievement award for 'I wish had not made those comments'

ahhh MOEW ;-)

the opinions of the small mind, he he

• Reply 125 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LanPhantom View Post

I think a lot of people interpret Steve's tone of whining with a slightly defensive stance. Apple is constantly bombarded with people who think the products they offer are over priced for no reason. "I can get a dell with the same specs for half the price" is what I hear ALL day long... I can only imagine what Steve hears.

I think if you take what has happened in recent days (dinner with Mark Z., seen walking around and having lunch with Eric S.) I think you'll put the pieces together and realize that while Apple is in competition with these people, he still has a repore with them.

I just keep in mind that while Apple are considered premium devices, there is a whole eco-system that you buy into if you are wiling. One that allows you to let go and enjoy the ride with little fear things will go wrong and great confidence that you'll be safe on that ride.

I've noticed that people who get Androide based phones are happy with them. But if I asked would they have gotten the iPhone given the chance, 100% of them said yes. Most are on VZ some are on Sprint, it's just not there, but if it was, they would have bought one.

VZ is going to get the iPhone soon, and that my friends is going to be one hell of a crazy day. I might just hang out around the Apple store just to see the MASSES come out to finally get what they have been waiting for.

My prediction...... Take all the people who came out for AT&T/iPhone Day One launches and times it by three and that's what you'll get on the VZ/iPhone Day One launch. It's gonna be a site to see.

Not true. I would not have bought an Iphone instead even if it was cheaper.
  • Reply 126 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I agree. I thought it was embarrassing. I've always admired people who build themselves up by doing well, not by tearing others down. It seemed unnecessary and uncharacteristic, like a teenager awkwardly telling the girl he wants to like him what's wrong with all the other boys in the class.

I think some observers are gonna wonder what's going on with him. Maybe I've got it wrong.

On a different note, about iPad sales missing predictions: Steve says he thinks that with that product, the company "has a tiger by the tail". So I'm not real concerned about it.

I assume he's talking to investors/analysts? In this situation you have to address such things or else you're being negligent. They would want to know why everyone is makIng small tablets and you're not. He was acting appropriately for the situation
  • Reply 127 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

OK - I knew about all of these except for the battery chemistry. Does anyone know where I can find out more about this? I had assumed Apple was getting custom form factor batteries, but was surprised to hear they're customizing the chemistry.

I think what he meant by "battery chemistry" was no flash!
  • Reply 128 of 180
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Yep! Those are the ones!

How did you find that image-- AIR only 3 copies of the glasses were made (and no, Jobs didn't get one).

Looks like someone had them on eBay at one time.

30 pair were made.

http://homepage.mac.com/cliff_huston...s/Glasses.html
  • Reply 129 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Samsung makes their "A4". I don't think you knew that.

Jobs becoming vocal like this only proves that he's VERY worried about other competition. To use words like "fragmentation" over and over again makes me laugh at him, when developers in his marketplace are already fragmented and frustrated.

Jobs v2.0 will be on his way out again soon. At this rate, it shouldn't take very long.

Competiton to Apple is 500 makers of the same effing product priced dirt a** cheap and whose customer service is nothing but an extended warranty at Best Buy.

Android phones are selling well but the Android phone market is composed of many competiting players.
  • Reply 130 of 180
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Samsung can't sell the A4 to anyone but Apple as the A4 was created and designed by Apple, Samsung only manufactures the A4 under contract for Apple.

Well, how about making a product at all that generates the kind of profits apple is getting from it's iOS devices? (edit: directed at MEOW)
  • Reply 131 of 180
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

He's not setting the record straight. It's marketing. And marketing has little to do with setting the record straight. It's about giving the appearance that Apple has the correct solutions for everything. Maybe they do. Maybe they don't. Even Apple occasionally makes mis-steps.

That's true, but can you name any computer company CEO in the world that wouldn't give their left nut to be where Apple is right now? Not only that, but consumer response tells me, at least, that Apple does, indeed, have the correct solution, more often than not.
  • Reply 132 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I assume he's talking to investors/analysts? In this situation you have to address such things or else you're being negligent. They would want to know why everyone is makIng small tablets and you're not. He was acting appropriately for the situation

The better question is why is everyone else not making 9-10" tablets?
  • Reply 133 of 180
    Quote:

Steve, you're running the second largest company in the world, you really don't need to bitch like this.

Every time he talks about Android, he seems to be coming unhinged.
  • Reply 134 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Every time he talks about Android, he seems to be coming unhinged.

The entirety of Google's board must be unhinged, going by their developer's conference earlier this year - taking swipes at Apple all the way through.
  • Reply 135 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I actually think Jobs' message is on the right track, however his delivery made him look a little unhinged!

Did anyone get the feeling that Jobs actually misses having Microsoft as a competitor? No doubt he still believes they have no taste, but I think he at least understood them.

Compare this to Google, where I don't think he can work out why people are buying Android phones and that seems to, lets just say, "annoy" him.

"unhinged!" I love it. I'm going to use it the next time my GF gets weird!

Best
  • Reply 136 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Perhaps because he's genuinely excited and surprised at Apple's success. Jobs is very much a "do the best you can and be the best and you'll do well" kind of person. He pours himself into Apple's products and expects the same from Apple's employees. I'm sure he expects success, but the level of success Apple has had is amazing and overwhelming.

Steve also still shows genuine amazement at where technology has come. This is the guy who helped assemble Apple Is in a garage by hand. And now they are the second most valuable company in the world!?

He may not be a Woz-level engineer, but he is a real tech-fanboy.

- Jasen.

Very well said.
  • Reply 137 of 180
    Jobs speaks passionately because...guess what...he's not just some suit who's in it for the money! He's actually passionate about Apple! DUH!!!

You might disagree with him, and in 50% of occasions, I do, but you have to recognize that the guy is not an idiot like Ballmer.
  • Reply 138 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Here's a better picture.

Quote:

Yep! Those are the ones!

How did you find that image-- AIR only 3 copies of the glasses were made (and no, Jobs didn't get one).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Looks like someone had them on eBay at one time.

30 pair were made.

http://homepage.mac.com/cliff_huston...s/Glasses.html

Most people, likely, are not interested... but it is a nice story:

Ken Silverman's fiancee was an optician and so knew people in the "industry". Woz, through Ken and his fiancee arranged to have these made. I believe the original run was 3 pairs -- they were incredibly difficult to make and very expensive. While optically correct, they were hardly functioning sunglasses. They were fragile and it was very distracting to look at the world through multi-color-striped lenses. They were a more of a work of art.

Woz may have had additional pairs made in later runs.

Ken's fiancee was in her late 30's, but had terminal cancer and they married so Ken could raise her two young children.

That, last, was one of the most inspiring memories of Silicon Valley in the early 1980s.

• Reply 139 of 180
    Quote:

He's EDUCATING the dumb ass's like you who don't know the facts!!
  • Reply 140 of 180
    One things for sure, Steve Jobs deserves credit as one of the greatest innovators, marketers and visionary of our times.