Apple field testing iPhone 4 revision, may add CDMA - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has begun field testing a new version of the iPhone, prompting continued speculation of an early 2011 launch of a CDMA-compatible iPhone, according to an unconfirmed report.

Citing a "solid Apple source," Boy Genius Report claimed Monday that iPhone model 3,2 has reached the field test phase, while the next-generation "iPhone 5" has advanced to the Engineering Verification Test stage of the development cycle.

"We have been told that iPhone model 3,2 ? what everyone is assuming to be the Verizon (or at least CDMA-compatible) phone ? just hit the ?AP? testing stage. This is the very last stage before retail release; final hardware, almost final software," the report noted.

Since Apple uses the first number in these device identifiers to refer to major revisions and the second number to refer to minor revisions, iPhone model 3,2 should be an updated iPhone 4 rather than a next-generation model. The report speculates that the 3,2 revision could also include a fix for the widely publicized iPhone 4 antenna issue.

BGR's source asserts that iPhone version 3,2 will contain a SIM card slot, which is generally used only by GSM devices. However, earlier this month, rumors surrounding a Verizon CDMA iPhone implied that Qualcomm could provide Apple with a dual-mode baseband chip that would support both GSM and CDMA networks. In the U.S., AT&T and T-Mobile run GSM networks, while Verizon and Sprint use the CDMA standard. China Telecom is also reportedly in talks with Apple over a CDMA iPhone.

With the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times both reporting in early October that a Verizon iPhone is in the works for next year, the much-talked-about rumors of Apple going multi-carrier in the U.S. have gained momentum.

Although Boy Genius Report has a respectable track record with regard to Apple and AT&T announcements, it has missed the mark on several other Apple predictions from "reliable sources." Last year, the website reported that Blu-ray support was coming to iTunes 9.

In early July, BGR published a series of emails allegedly written between Apple CEO Steve Jobs and a disgruntled customer. The report was picked up by several blogs, before an Apple spokesperson "emphatically denied" that Jobs was the author of any of the statements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    When Steve Jobs announces it, then I can rejoice, until then, nope.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Nah, this is the iPhone 4 for the T-Mobile USA network with support for the AWS 3G band.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, this is the iPhone 4 for the T-Mobile USA network with support for the AWS 3G band.

If that were the case then why not have made one of the 5 UMTS bands on the iPhone 4 for T-Mobile USA instead of adding a still unused band for NTT DoCoMo?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Off to the local bars in Cali!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'll search in Los Angeles!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Your my next smartphone purchase, and I'll keep my 3GS as a back up with the lastest OS.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If that were the case then why not have made one of the 5 UMTS bands on the iPhone 4 for T-Mobile USA instead of adding a still unused band for NTT DoCoMo?

I wasn't aware that the current iPhone 4 had an NTT DoCoMo-compatible UTMS/HSPA band. Frankly, I'm rather surprised to hear that NTT DoCoMo supports UTMS.

If what you say is true, maybe Apple was hoping to get NTT DoCoMo to sign on. Or maybe because the existing component already had that band.

DoCoMo's subscriber band is much larger than T-Mobile USA's. While America's population is larger than Japan's (let's say 310 million vs. 127 million), NTT DoCoMo is by far the dominant mobile operator in Japan. From a fiscal standpoint for potential customers, catering to NTT DoCoMo is a far better ploy than aiming at T-Mobile USA.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    I think you folks are confused. The iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 have to be running CDMA already, as that's what we have here in Japan. CDMA is a 3G standard.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

I think you folks are confused. The iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 have to be running CDMA already, as that's what we have here in Japan. CDMA is a 3G standard.

II've poked around a bit and it appears that W-CDMA in Japan (related to UTMS) is not the same as CDMA here in the United States. The acronyms are confusingly similar but the technology is different enough where they are incompatible.

That's why Verizon and Sprint handsets are useless in Japan (and most other places on this planet).
  • Reply 10 of 27
    They should do this. I mean, I'm no MBA or anything, but hey...
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

II've poked around a bit and it appears that W-CDMA in Japan (related to UTMS) is not the same as CDMA here in the United States. The acronyms are confusingly similar but the technology is different enough where they are incompatible.

That's why Verizon and Sprint handsets are useless in Japan (and most other places on this planet).

Yes thats why I cant wait there needs to be a 1 standard instead of people who keep crying over CDMA "thats whats wrong with the U.S. now too broken up talking about options....options are fine as long as everyone can get on one accord...I got to Manila and threw my Verizon phone in the trash because it was useless just as it is in most of the world..."unless of course you never travel in that case you'll be fine"....for now
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think this has now become a viable launch promotional strategy.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Your are probably right if there is a sim tray. Remember since early this year we have seen identifiers 3,1/ 3,2 / 3,3. I have long asserted the other two versions are GSM 1700 and CDMA.

I couldn't imagine that when AT&T exclusivity ends this year that T-Mobile doesn't pick it up. I heard from reputable person @ AT&T that the T-Mobile deal was done last year, but Apple desired to maintain exclusivity until agreement with Verizon at others could be made, added several carriers at once. T-Mobile and Apple already have a relationship abroad.

I would also think that the CDMA version should be in field test as well. Been hearing all year it was scheduled for Nov/Dec production. Maybe it's 3,3? Keeping GSM models for the first two (3,1 & 3,2) instead of CDMA in the middle, just seems more organized identification method.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    core2core2 Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sincere View Post

Yes thats why I cant wait there needs to be a 1 standard instead of people who keep crying over CDMA "thats whats wrong with the U.S. now too broken up talking about options....options are fine as long as everyone can get on one accord...I got to Manila and threw my Verizon phone in the trash because it was useless just as it is in most of the world..."unless of course you never travel in that case you'll be fine"....for now

Actually of you want to be picky, HSPA is CDMA, its just the WCDMA variant. Verizon and Sprint use narrow band CDMA, both technologies were competing, with Qualcomm owning most of the patents on the narrowband CDMA. GSMA chose WCDMA as its 3G standard, while Verizon and Sprint went the heavily Qualcomm backed 1xEVDO route.

The single standard will be LTE, which ATT and Verizon are deploying. Too bad the US still has the frequency's messed up compared to the rest of the world, no one is using 700 Mhz except the Americas...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Core2 View Post

...HSPA is CDMA...

No, it?s not.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    T-Mobile USA gets in on the action I'll be a happy iPhone buyer soon I hope!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Core2 View Post

Actually of you want to be picky, HSPA is CDMA, its just the WCDMA variant. Verizon and Sprint use narrow band CDMA, both technologies were competing, with Qualcomm owning most of the patents on the narrowband CDMA. GSMA chose WCDMA as its 3G standard, while Verizon and Sprint went the heavily Qualcomm backed 1xEVDO route.

The single standard will be LTE, which ATT and Verizon are deploying. Too bad the US still has the frequency's messed up compared to the rest of the world, no one is using 700 Mhz except the Americas...

European networks are set up differently then networks in the US. 700Mhz is a much stronger and more reliable signal. Cell networks are more condensed (more towers, less range) in Europe. LTE devices that come out will work the same as devices do now...on multiple frequencies. But believe me...when push comes to shove...you want 700Mhz over whatever else is out there, you will get much longer range, and much better wall penetration. So yeah...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    CDMA, as implemented in Japan and Korea use SIM cards, so the presence of a SIM card does not positively identify the network type or types that this version of the iPhone is compatible with. It does not prove GSM compatibility either. It only proves that there is a SIM slot, which might, for all we know, be empty. It's certainly possible that the slot is being retained in these prototypes so as to avoid tipping any observers off.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    A revision in white, right?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longpath View Post

CDMA, as implemented in Japan and Korea use SIM cards, so the presence of a SIM card does not positively identify the network type or types that this version of the iPhone is compatible with. It does not prove GSM compatibility either. It only proves that there is a SIM slot, which might, for all we know, be empty. It's certainly possible that the slot is being retained in these prototypes so as to avoid tipping any observers off.

No, you're confusing network technology acronyms, which is totally understandable.

What Japan and Korea are using is W-CDMA (the W is for "wideband") and is more commonly known as UTMS in other markets. The CDMA that Verizon and Sprint is narrowband.

Despite the similarity in acronyms, the two technologies are not compatible, hence the push to a 4G standard like LTE. The data portion of LTE is mostly complete, but the voice part of LTE is not. Based on Apple's history, they will not jump onto the LTE bandwagon. They will wait for the technology to mature (just as they released a 2.5G/EDGE iPhone while 3G was being deployed).

The next logical step would be HSPA+ in the iPhone 5 (mid 2011). An LTE-compatible iPhone would not come earlier than 2012, possibly even later (2013 or 2014).

Verizon's push to deploy LTE is encouraging, but many international markets are focused on upgrading to HSPA+. LTE will not be a major factor overseas for some time and I doubt Apple will include network technology that can only be utilized by a fraction of its iPhone customers (domestic and international).