Apple sells 250,000 $99 Apple TVs in first six weeks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I love my new Apple TV. There's a huge difference in speed compared to the old one. And I don't miss the hard drive. I never used it anyway.

Ditto. Actually, not having to sync pictures before seeing them is a HUGE improvement!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    If Apple can make an AppleTV for $99, why doesn't the Airport Express cost less?

It should be $69 like the mighty mouse and magic trackpad.

Apple's whole Airport line is overpriced.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The speed difference is night and day. No more horrible lag with the interface. The Netflix UI is really nice. I like that I can search and read about movies on my iPad and throw them into the queue to watch on my big screen.

What que?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't start that crap again. I don't know what's up with you peoples' eyes that you can't see a difference between 720 and 1080, but you need to get that checked.

Agreed.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The speed difference is night and day. No more horrible lag with the interface.

[ ]

I have two of the new ATV's and a first generation ATV. I really like the new one but I think something must be wrong with your original ATV. I don't see a lag at all in in the menu. Are you running the latest OS?

philip
  • Reply 26 of 37
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't start that crap again. I don't know what's up with you peoples' eyes that you can't see a difference between 720 and 1080, but you need to get that checked.

It's a complicated issue. In principle 1080p at a suitable bitrate will look better. I don't see it on any of our TV's ( largest is 52"). In any case, in order to properly integrate the ATV with other iDevices and streaming and such 1080p isn't practical at this time. Maybe down the road, but the internet is already having trouble coping without having people moving 10gig files around just because they want to see a few extra grains of sand.

If all you want if a standalone media player that will play local content, not integrate with i(), play back your ripped Blu-Ray collection and so on then there are better choices. In terms of an evolving integrated device the ATV is great.

You won't find AirPlay on a PCH or Dune.

philip
  • Reply 27 of 37
    I've had two ATV's since they first came out (two rooms) and I just replaced them with the new ATV's only to find out they the iTunes store ONLY rents movies and tv shows. The rental terms suck so bad that I only buy movies for watching (it usually takes anywhere from one to four nights to get through a movie, so the 24 hour limit is worthless). Now You have go to your computer to surf and purchase a movie. What a major pain on the a**!!!!

I loved the old iTunes store interface and used it frequently to surf and buy movies. I understand that they want to push you toward rentals, in lieu of purchases, but why take away the convenient purchase option altogether?

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 37
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Most people don't sit close enough to their TV's, for their given TV size, to get the benefit of over 720p. Perhaps you do, but most don't. And I'd rather have a good quality 720p encode than a crap 1080p/1080i encode any day. I get reminded by that every day by Comcast's crappy quality.

I believe it is most people don't care about the quality difference. I can tell the difference between 720p iTunes videos, and Blu-rays on my 40" 1080p LCD, there is a massive difference, and I prefer the 1080p blu-ray.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Has anybody used multiple devices off a single iTunes? currently have 3 of the old appleTvs and if you try to stream two films or even play two different non synced tunes they stutter fairly badly.

Has this been improved?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    This Apple TV is a much improved device. My wife is the ultimate user. She is an untrainable techno peasant. She likes Apple TV. Good enough for me.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Ideally I would like to be able to store my iTunes library on a Time Capsule or other external hard drive and stream it from there to the AppleTV rather than stream it from my Mac. I've bought a lot of films and TV programmes from iTunes to the point where my hard drive is almost full. Does anyone know if it's possible to do that?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

What que?

Ooops. Queue. Browse on your iPad, add the movies into the instant queue and enjoy of your big screen.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badboybogey View Post

I've had two ATV's since they first came out (two rooms) and I just replaced them with the new ATV's only to find out they the iTunes store ONLY rents movies and tv shows. The rental terms suck so bad that I only buy movies for watching (it usually takes anywhere from one to four nights to get through a movie, so the 24 hour limit is worthless). Now You have go to your computer to surf and purchase a movie. What a major pain on the a**!!!!

I loved the old iTunes store interface and used it frequently to surf and buy movies. I understand that they want to push you toward rentals, in lieu of purchases, but why take away the convenient purchase option altogether?

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!

The slightest bit of research would have told you that they went to a rental only model. It's more work, but you can still buy the movies on your computer.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I have two of the new ATV's and a first generation ATV. I really like the new one but I think something must be wrong with your original ATV. I don't see a lag at all in in the menu. Are you running the latest OS?

philip

Yep. Always run the latest. I've had every model of ATV as well, and talked my parents into buying one as well. I wish I had waited to recommend the new one. My parents experience the annoying lag as well. Here as some examples:

I have 150 or so little videos in my video folder. Most of it just funny snippets of video. Browsing through those is clumsy and not at all like the new ATV. Often I'll click the down button 5 or 6 times before it suddenly jumps several movies. And then getting out of my movie folder to, say, the iPhoto folder is even worse. Sometimes it's as if the interface crashed and isn't taking in input.

This was the experience with every model of ATV except the new one.

I think the chip inside was maxed out. Simple as that. The new one is snappy. Every press of the buttons on the remote does something instantly, as far as the interface goes. No lag.

And using the Remote App on my iPad with the ATV is a joy.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

In any case, in order to properly integrate the ATV with other iDevices and streaming and such 1080p isn't practical at this time.

It certainly is on a home network. It just isn't in terms of nationwide broadband capability. Give me a fricking Apple TV that outputs 1080 and I'll run it quite happily on my home wired/wireless network.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Good article

<-------
  • Reply 37 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

This Apple TV is a much improved device. My wife is the ultimate user. She is an untrainable techno peasant. She likes Apple TV. Good enough for me.

I urge you to have a t-shirt made that says "Untrainable Techno Peasant" to give to your wife, because it would be awesome. I may make up a batch myself and just hand them out.