Many obese people see no need to lose weight

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
A substantial proportion of obese people don't think they're too fat, new research shows.

Among more than 2,000 obese Dallas County residents surveyed in 2000-2002, 14 percent of African Americans and 11 percent of Hispanics -- but just 2 percent of whites -- believed that they did not need to lose weight, Dr. Tiffany M. Powell of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and her colleagues found.

Rest of the article:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldon25 View Post

A substantial proportion of obese people don't think they're too fat, new research shows.

Among more than 2,000 obese Dallas County residents surveyed in 2000-2002, 14 percent of African Americans and 11 percent of Hispanics -- but just 2 percent of whites -- believed that they did not need to lose weight, Dr. Tiffany M. Powell of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and her colleagues found.

Rest of the article:

This is insane. Obesity leads to heart attacks, diabetes,strokes, high blood pressure and eventually death. Good luck to these ignorant people who say this.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I have read articles that say that the ideal BMI is too low - highest life expectency is with a BMI between 25 and 30, not 20 and 25 - the the highest health risk is for people with BMIs below 20 and above 40.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldon25 View Post

Rest of the article:

Obesity is not the problem, food addiction is. An addict will never admit to being addicted.

We have an expensive war against drugs which is going no where but if anyone would wage a war against food addiction the right will cry "liberty" " big government" "I want the freedom to roll around in my feces".

Obesity only cost us $ 147 billion per year. Enough to send everyone one who wants to go to college for free.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Obesity is not the problem, food addiction is. An addict will never admit to being addicted.

We have an expensive war against drugs which is going no where but if anyone would wage a war against food addiction the right will cry "liberty" " big government" "I want the freedom to roll around in my feces".

Obesity only cost us $ 147 billion per year. Enough to send everyone one who wants to go to college for free.

I fail to see how political parties have anything to do with this.

Obesity crosses all demographics. It's a war between idiots and the informed.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    It's all about self-control.

It is NOT an addiction... food does not trigger a chemical change in the brain like addictive substances do.

Many people just lack the self control to stop eating when they should.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I fail to see how political parties have anything to do with this.

Obesity crosses all demographics. It's a war between idiots and the informed.

Same thing.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It is NOT an addiction... food does not trigger a chemical change in the brain like addictive substances do.

What...? Are you kidding? You can not be this uninformed, that's impossible, wow...!
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Obesity caused by a virus, maybe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenovirus_serotype_36
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Same thing.

I hate [insert your political party here]. That goes for [insert political party of whoever's also reading this post here], as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Oh, yeah, that'd be great. A nice clean excuse for the people who won't stop eating.

I was obese as a child. We're talking near-morbid/definite health problems obesity. I then chose not to eat lunch at school and have since progressed to only three meals a week. You wouldn't imagine the money saved and I've gone from 60% body fat to around 12%.

It's amazing how much time people waste eating that they could be using to work. Get ahead of the game, you see.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:

Yea RIGHT. Obesity is caused a virus that forces people to stuff their pie hole (that and HFCS). But NEVER our fault!

I work in a hospital and I tell people all the time that you need to stay healthy in case you get sick. Got cancer? Whole lot more difficult to cure in over weigh people. Need surgery? Anesthesia is so much more difficult and recovery longer when you are unhealthy. Need a joint replacement? Yea because that extra 200 lb you carry wore them out early!

Here's my diet plan. Everyday eat a little better and a little less. Stop and maintain when you are skinny. Get some running in.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Oh, yeah, that'd be great. A nice clean excuse for the people who won't stop eating.

I was obese as a child. We're talking near-morbid/definite health problems obesity. I then chose not to eat lunch at school and have since progressed to only three meals a week. You wouldn't imagine the money saved and I've gone from 60% body fat to around 12%.

It's amazing how much time people waste eating that they could be using to work. Get ahead of the game, you see.

Well, personally I would have had myself tested before I posted something like you posted. IMHO, you only have the right to post that if you actually have the virus and beat it.

I doubt it works by making you eat more.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

What...? Are you kidding? You can not be this uninformed, that's impossible, wow...!

OK... in GENERAL, food does not cause the same addictive reaction that certain "drugs" do ... I suppose we have to admit that you could make a salad from coca leaves and that would be as addictive as Cocaine. Or putting certain types of mushrooms on your salad could have a similar effect. certain foods can trigger a release of endorphins and such... but not at the level of the chemicals we consider addictive!

Yes, our bodies require food, and will crave it when we are hungry... but that is NOT the same as an addiction like we see with Heroin.

Calling obesity an "addiction" is just plain stupid. It's making excuses for a lack of self control.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Well, personally I would have had myself tested before I posted something like you posted. IMHO, you only have the right to post that if you actually have the virus and beat it.

I doubt it works by making you eat more.

Yeah, heaven forbid I post an obesity success story without having the "obesity virus". I realize now that it's obviously meaningless to change your lifestyle for the betterment of your health without having a medical reason to do so.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

Yeah, heaven forbid I post an obesity success story without having the "obesity virus". I realize now that it's obviously meaningless to change your lifestyle for the betterment of your health without having a medical reason to do so.

No, you were putting people down without knowing if you had the same weakness. Like if I criticized an alcoholic - "why can't you quit drinking? I had no trouble, you must be a loser" when I don't have the gene that makes it hard to stop drinking. I have a bmi of 26, btw, so I am pretty sure I don't have the virus because I eat like a pig and love every minute of it.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

No, you were putting people down without knowing if you had the same weakness. Like if I criticized an alcoholic - "why can't you quit drinking? I had no trouble, you must be a loser" when I don't have the gene that makes it hard to stop drinking.

Terrible analogy. Food isn't an addiction. You make ONE conscious decision not to eat as much and boom, lifestyle change. The difference between obese me and and me now is willpower. Absolutely nothing more.

Quote:

I have a bmi of 26, btw, so I am pretty sure I don't have the virus because I eat like a pig and love every minute of it.

Now you we can criticize, you're saying.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Many people just lack the self control to stop eating when they should.

Ever hear of the word self control that is what most people lack today and another word moderation.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Terrible analogy. Food isn't an addiction. You make ONE conscious decision not to eat as much and boom, lifestyle change. The difference between obese me and and me now is willpower. Absolutely nothing more.

Now you we can criticize, you're saying.

You have willpower, but not math skills - there was a statistically significant difference in weight gain between the people with the virus and the people w/o.

And criticize me however you like.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Quote:

I hate [insert your political party here]. That goes for [insert political party of whoever's also reading this post here], as well.

3 meals a week is unhealthy in itself, you've "progressed" from one extreme to the other and sound anorexic. People don't need to "stop eating". The best approach about a balanced, healthy lifestyle. Not this kind of sick control.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

...the people with the virus and the people w/o.

You're missing the subtle point I'm making: THE VIRUS IS A CROCK.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zodiac View Post

3 meals a week is unhealthy in itself, you've "progressed" from one extreme to the other and sound anorexic. People don't need to "stop eating". The best approach about a balanced, healthy lifestyle. Not this kind of sick control.

It's surprisingly not. I gain weight if I eat any more than that, and I'm not psychologically or physically compromised by eating this amount. I completely agree that balance is the proper way to go about things, but there are aberrational cases, like myself.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Yea RIGHT. Obesity is caused a virus that forces people to stuff their pie hole (that and HFCS). But NEVER our fault!

I work in a hospital and I tell people all the time that you need to stay healthy in case you get sick. Got cancer? Whole lot more difficult to cure in over weigh people. Need surgery? Anesthesia is so much more difficult and recovery longer when you are unhealthy. Need a joint replacement? Yea because that extra 200 lb you carry wore them out early!

Here's my diet plan. Everyday eat a little better and a little less. Stop and maintain when you are skinny. Get some running in.

Excellent advice