Why the Apple hate?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My first Apple product was an iPhone 3G, I was so impressed I got an iMac and an iPad and now we have iPhone 4s in my house.

What I don't understand is why people react so harshly when there is like an Apple oriented news story or product launch. It seems irrational.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Apple disintermediates the geeks by democratizing technology. Once upon a time, people needed help setting the time on their VCRs. In the computing world, people need help choosing, buying, setting up, and using PCs, smartphones, and everything else.

Apple's philosophy runs counter to the geek culture by enabling average people to do extraordinary things. If everyone owns an Apple product, the high-priests of tech are out of a job, or worse, made to be laughing stocks.

Remember smartphones before Apple entered the market? It was a geek paradise. Apple came along and made them look stupid with one product release. Remember tablets? You get the idea.

Android came along and re-empowered the geeks. Enough said.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Everything to do with Apple is irrational.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Apple is all about lock-in, and non-upgradable machines. want a new cpu? Buy a new Mac. Want a new graphics card? Buy a new Mac. Want a new screen? etc etc. Apple portrays itself as being green, but that's Apple's world-class marketing. Anything besides RAM and Harddisk expansion requires purchasing a new, multi-thousand dollar machine. If that sounds like you, you're in luck; they're great machines. Most of the time. For a price that would make PC users blush.

There's also perceived gaps in their product lines. Blue ray. Current GPUs. A desktop that sells for ($1000) less than $2000. Etc.

As for movies and music and TV shows, people are either happy in the Apple bubble, or have no interest in it at all. 720p max resolution, and no support for any files other than content purchased or re-encoded for iTunes, means the Apple TV is for die-hard Apple fans. Everybody else will look for a device that supports their existing libraries of media, and likely 1080p output. And don't require a computer to be running.

I personally don't buy any media from Apple; I stick to good old-fashioned MP3s, 320kb/s, LAME-encoded purchased at Beatport.com (I mostly listen to electronic stuff and their catalog and sound quality are amazing). I do pirate a lot of jazz from dead artists, like Miles Davis, Julie London or Bill Evans, because they're dead and I really don't think they mind.

I don't buy TV shows because <insert elitist attitude about the quality of TV programming>. I don't buy movies; I either watch them in theaters or rent them.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    I expect their heirs or trustees appreciate you side-stepping the 70 years after death rule you have in the States. Mind you, Miles Davies took Bill Evans' copyright for Blue In Green, while they were both alive, didn't he?
  • Reply 5 of 59
    I'm not surprised someone's figured out a way to make money off someone else's work after they are dead; heck I'd be surprised if no one had. But legal or not, for me it's no moral conundrum. I vote with my dollars, and my hard earned money is for people who contribute to society. Don't get me started on copyright and patent law...

Blue in Green is amazing; that sucks Miles was a dick about that. But douche or not, the guy could do some amazing stuff with three valves!
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryo View Post

My first Apple product was an iPhone 3G, I was so impressed I got an iMac and an iPad and now we have iPhone 4s in my house.

What I don't understand is why people react so harshly when there is like an Apple oriented news story or product launch. It seems irrational.

Envy.
  • Reply 7 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Apple is all about lock-in, and non-upgradable machines. want a new cpu? Buy a new Mac. Want a new graphics card? Buy a new Mac. Want a new screen? etc etc.

Because that's what the average consumer wants... simplicity. Apple is NOT marketing their products at "geeks".
  • Reply 8 of 59
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Apple disintermediates the geeks by democratizing technology. Once upon a time, people needed help setting the time on their VCRs. In the computing world, people need help choosing, buying, setting up, and using PCs, smartphones, and everything else.

Apple's philosophy runs counter to the geek culture by enabling average people to do extraordinary things. If everyone owns an Apple product, the high-priests of tech are out of a job, or worse, made to be laughing stocks.

Remember smartphones before Apple entered the market? It was a geek paradise. Apple came along and made them look stupid with one product release. Remember tablets? You get the idea.

Android came along and re-empowered the geeks. Enough said.

This.

Geeks strike back by ranting about how Apple makes stuff for stupid people and sheep that don't know how to use computers; that the lock-in and walled garden are fascistic and only exist because Apple's customers are too frightened and dull witted to think for themselves.

Needless to say, geeks are horrible, emotionally crippled assholes who think their impossibly truncated world of symbolic logic and esthetics-free obsessive-compulsive diversions are the pinnacle of human achievement. The extent to which Apple loosens their grip on our access to information technology is precisely the extent to which Apple is serving the greater good.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Uh, or the truth lies somewhere in between the Apple Haters' rantings, and the Apple Apologists' excusings. Apple make computers. Those computers appeal to some. They don't appeal to others. Both, for myriad subjective reasons.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Uh, or the truth lies somewhere in between the Apple Haters' rantings, and the Apple Apologists' excusings. Apple make computers. Those computers appeal to some. They don't appeal to others. Both, for myriad subjective reasons.

I don't see how any of that addresses the odd specious of virulent hatred reserved for Apple, Apple's products, and Apple's users. What "truth" is to be found by splitting the difference between that level of animosity and people who like and use Apple products?
  • Reply 11 of 59
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I have to say though, all the shipping and packaging of DIY PC building components, are quite ridiculous in themselves. The motherboard, GPU boxes, CDs, manuals, 500grams of heatpipes of copper and aluminium, not to mention power consumed by good rigs... 500W is minimum now for non-locked-in, upgradeable, powerful, cutting-edge PCs.

That said when is the ATI 6850 coming out? I need those damn GPU prices to come down!

Quote:

Apple is all about lock-in, and non-upgradable machines. want a new cpu? Buy a new Mac. Want a new graphics card? Buy a new Mac. Want a new screen? etc etc. Apple portrays itself as being green, but that's Apple's world-class marketing. Anything besides RAM and Harddisk expansion requires purchasing a new, multi-thousand dollar machine. If that sounds like you, you're in luck; they're great machines. Most of the time. For a price that would make PC users blush.

There's also perceived gaps in their product lines. Blue ray. Current GPUs. A desktop that sells for ($1000) less than $2000. Etc.

As for movies and music and TV shows, people are either happy in the Apple bubble, or have no interest in it at all. 720p max resolution, and no support for any files other than content purchased or re-encoded for iTunes, means the Apple TV is for die-hard Apple fans. Everybody else will look for a device that supports their existing libraries of media, and likely 1080p output. And don't require a computer to be running.

I personally don't buy any media from Apple; I stick to good old-fashioned MP3s, 320kb/s, LAME-encoded purchased at Beatport.com (I mostly listen to electronic stuff and their catalog and sound quality are amazing). I do pirate a lot of jazz from dead artists, like Miles Davis, Julie London or Bill Evans, because they're dead and I really don't think they mind.

I don't buy TV shows because <insert elitist attitude about the quality of TV programming>. I don't buy movies; I either watch them in theaters or rent them.

• Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

That said when is the ATI 6850 coming out? I need those damn GPU prices to come down!

2 days from now. So expect to see them in Macs in about a year.

Quote:

I don't see how any of that addresses the odd specious of virulent hatred reserved for Apple, Apple's products, and Apple's users. What "truth" is to be found by splitting the difference between that level of animosity and people who like and use Apple products?

That's true; I apologize. I don't know what causes the virulent hate.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    The only current thing I hate is 4.2 changing the orientation lock switch to a mute switch on my iPad.

I can't (and therefore refuse) to get used to being forced to open multitasking to lock my orientation. I LOVE that hardware switch enough that I might downgrade, other benefits be screwed.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    As for my earlier assertion about Apple and their 'greeness': http://www.tomshardware.com/news/env...l#xtor=RSS-181
  • Reply 15 of 59
    Quote:

2 days from now

Cool. Yeah, won't be on Macs for a while muah ha ha ha ha
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:

The way Apple does it simply makes more sense. When it's time for me to upgrade my computer, I sure as hell don't want to upgrade SOME of the components, leaving others behind. I don't want to upgrade the CPU, for instance, and still have slow RAM and FSB. I don't want to upgrade the graphics card and have an obsolete CPU. I don't want to upgrade parts here and parts there and maybe have compatibility issues or issues when a new version of the OS is released. When it's time to get a new Mac, I get a new CPU, new bus, new RAM, new I/O ports, new display technology... the works. It's simply more efficient to do it the Apple way.

I'm buying an Apple TV because being a Mac, iTunes and iPod user, all my media is encoded or converted to a compatible format. If I download an incompatible film, it's just a quick conversion away and voilÃ*, it works with all my Apple devices. It just makes sense to do it that way.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:

Apple portrays itself as being green, but that's Apple's world-class marketing.

The "greenest" product is one that stays out of the junkyard (as I type this on my 10+ year old iMac).
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

When it's time to get a new Mac, I get a new CPU, new bus, new RAM, new I/O ports, new display technology... the works.

Nice to see there's something we can agree upon tonton
  • Reply 19 of 59
    cryocryo Posts: 14member
    I had a co worker say something about how "Macs are alright, unless you need to right-click! HAR HAR!"

I was thinking he got lost in the early part of the last decade and never found his way out.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryo View Post

I had a co worker say something about how "Macs are alright, unless you need to right-click! HAR HAR!"

I was thinking he got lost in the early part of the last decade and never found his way out.

1993 called. They want their excuse back.

What's wrong with holding Control? It's not as though that hasn't been an option for decades.