RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'

13468918

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 344
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    No, I'm saying for the one or two phone calls month I receive, I'd use the speaker.



    What people forget is that the iPhone and the iPad are a lot of things to a lot of people. One size just doesn't' "fit all." There are a lot of people like me who have no use for the phone whatsoever but have an iPhone because it's the closest thing to that portable computer we have all been waiting years for.



    I communicate almost exclusively by email and I prefer it over almost any other method most of the time. I don't actually even understand folks who insist on using the old fashioned teleophonic communicator device. It's inefficient, and almost always leads to an inaccurate exchange of information, but to each their own I guess.



    I want a portable tablet computer. I don't just want a telephone with some computer elements to it, (iPhone) and I don't want a portable TV with some computer elements to it (iPad). I want a workable, portable tablet computer that I can write on and draw on just as if it was writing and drawing in a paper book (like the ones I've been carrying around since the age of 16 while *waiting* for someone to come up with a portable tablet computer).



    I guess my bad attitude comes from wanting this for so many years, and to be so close to getting it, but having Steve jobs just decide by his own self that "people don't want that." I'd bet there are a few million of us out there that *do* want that, but I guess we won't find out for a couple of years because that's how long it usually takes for Steve Jobs to climb off his high horse and reverse a "Steve Decision" like the one he's just made about smaller tablets.



    He's right most of the time, but that doesn't mean he can't be wrong, and he's always had a giant stick up his bum about being wrong and admitting it when he is. I'll believe smaller tablets are bad when he comes up with a serious cogent argument as to why they are. What he's said so far is just BS.



    IMHO I'd say your desired product is the current iPad. I cannot see why you think a 7" can come close to the usability of a 10". iOS is adapted for the iPhone and iPad for their intended uses (and some cross over obviously) but they are not intended to be serving the same needs. 7" simply fails at both. Or am I misunderstanding your argument and what you want is telephony on the 10" iPad?
  • Reply 102 of 344
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corax View Post


    Yes the screen is about half in size, but not in powerconsumption of the total device, since it'll rely on the same components, but batteryspace will be around half inside.



    Oh I see what you are saying, the constant is all the other stuff and the 50% difference in screen power consumption is not the main factor.
  • Reply 103 of 344
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post


    your colleagues are either useless or lying, both my android handsets outperform both iphone 3gs and iphone 4 in battery life by a handy margin.



    maybe its the extra calls they can take because of the improved reception??



    Hmm, I'll ask again...have you got a new Android handset? Two of these people have brand new units. I don't remember the names. Again, I'll ask. I am VERY interested in the vast difference in performance.
  • Reply 104 of 344
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post


    Hmm, I'll ask again...have you got a new Android handset? Two of these people have brand new units. I don't remember the names. Again, I'll ask. I am VERY interested in the vast difference in performance.



    Tell him it is the lack of using their Androids for anything but making calls that helps their battery life. The iPhone users are using the web by a massive percentage more than anyone else according to every pie chart I see.
  • Reply 105 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Nothing last forever. Congratulations, Socrates.



    My late father used to call me Socrates! Usually, after I said something stupid! Made me smile, thx!



    PS. I really miss him, especially when my GF is "unhinged!"



    Best
  • Reply 105 of 344
    coraxcorax Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Oh I see what you are saying, the constant is all the other stuff and the 50% difference in screen power consumption is not the main factor.



    Yes, IF the powerusage of the screen is 20% with the 9,7" iPad, 80% being other components, than a 7" would use around 90% (10% less) but have HALF the space for batteries.
  • Reply 107 of 344
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post


    Android Phones: outselling iPhones

    Windows: outselling OS X



    C'mon. Let's not start up with market share. It's a non-winner for Apple except in the MP3 player market.



    I'm not talking about market share, I'm talking about bragging rights. RIM doesn't have any so they should button up and focus their efforts on delivering something compelling to consumers.



    Side note: Android is sold by at least 10 OEMs with at least 50 handsets in the market and they barely sell more than iPhone. That, in my books, is a big fat fail. All those companies expending all that effort to just barely sell more than one single competitor? Fail! Its not a market share fail, its a strategy fail.
  • Reply 108 of 344
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I kind of wondered where SJ was coming from on that one. If 7" is too small for a touch interface isn't that sort of a problem for an iPhone and iPod Touch as well. I think a 7" iPad would be pretty cool. I hope they'll make one someday.



    iPad and iPhone have slightly different UI elements and they support different multi touch gestures (take a look at iPad demos to see what is doable there. In particular look at iWork for iPad to see some of the more advanced UI elements and gestures). Some of those would be really hard to execute on a smaller screen, so usability would suffer.
  • Reply 109 of 344
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    My late father used to call me Socrates! Usually, after I said something stupid! Made me smile, thx!



    PS. I really miss him, especially when my GF is "unhinged!"



    Best



    My Dad died in 2008. Same boat. Touched me, dude.
  • Reply 110 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post


    I treat this battle the same way I treat my sports teams: I usually pick the one that's 42-4, not 4-42.



    Hey leave the Detroit Lions fan alone!
  • Reply 111 of 344
    perhaps Steve is badmouthing 7" tablets because they were pre-announced by others and are likely to ship before Apple's 7" table. 7" is a great screen size for a portable web device. A 7" iPad can be significantly lighter and more portable than the current iPad. A high resolution 7" screen would provide sufficient display real estate for basic applications like email, basic web browsing, watching movies and most games.



    If Apple is targeting the iPad exclusively toward business applications like word processing, presentations, spreadsheets, etc., Steve may have a point about the current iPad screen being the minimum acceptable display size. However, overall, iPad is mostly a consumer product, and there are many consumer apps (games, web browser and email being the leading ones) that would run perfectly fine with a 7" screen. Many of the iPhone customers are already using these applications on a much smaller screen. Anybody who has used a Kindle can also tell you that 6"-7" is the perfect screen size for an eBook reader, but Apple probably does not care too much about that application.



    I think the right screen technology for a 7" iPad is an OLED display with very high (300DPI range) resolution. Maybe Apple is waiting this technology to be commercially viable and they will skip the LCD based technology for the 7" form factor.



    The greatest issue for Apple in terms of introducing a 7" iPad is price expectations. Market would expect a price point between the current iPad and the current iPod touch for a 7" iPad and Apple may have decided that it is not possible to achieve sufficient margins at a price point that is lower than the current iPad price. The cost of goods difference between a 7" iPoad and a 10" iPad is likely to be pretty minimal.
  • Reply 112 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corax View Post


    Yes, IF the powerusage of the screen is 20% with the 9,7" iPad, 80% being other components, than a 7" would use around 90% (10% less) but have HALF the space for batteries.



    Ahh... Simple solution...



    7" tablet in left labcoat pocket



    7" battery pack in right labcoat pocket



    USB charger cable interconnecting the two -- across the front





    Could, additionally be used to hold a pocket watch...



    ... Or a plastic clip with a bag of Fritos



    There ya' go!



    .
  • Reply 113 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I kind of wondered where SJ was coming from on that one. If 7" is too small for a touch interface isn't that sort of a problem for an iPhone and iPod Touch as well. I think a 7" iPad would be pretty cool. I hope they'll make one someday.



    I think it'd be worth seeing - I don't think the problem is touch on 7" - it's probably the visuals which may not be up to the iPad experience at a smaller size. Let's face it they're not touting thr web experience on the iPT so much as gaming.
  • Reply 114 of 344
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Did Apple just jump into the 10” 4:3 tablet willy nilly or did they prototype multiple configurations to see what they felt was actually best?



    2) Are RiM and others jumping into the 7” 16:9 tablet because they feel they can’t compete with Apple on the 10” tablet or did they they all make and test multiple prototypes to see what they felt was actually best?



    3) Based on RiM’s CEO comments about openness I have to assume that BB OS is an open OS, yet I wasn’t aware of that before today. Which is odd, because I’d think I’d have known if BB OS wasn’t a wall garden.
  • Reply 115 of 344
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    I'm sorry. I love Apple, but Steve's comments were unnecessary. When you're winning you should remain classy.
  • Reply 116 of 344
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I kind of wondered where SJ was coming from on that one. If 7" is too small for a touch interface isn't that sort of a problem for an iPhone and iPod Touch as well. I think a 7" iPad would be pretty cool. I hope they'll make one someday.



    I think what's really important to take away from this is that Apple is positioning tablets (iPad) separately from iPhones/iPod touches. Two different development channels that developers need to target. Different User interface designs for each.



    A 7" tablet isn't a phone-size device and isn't a handier iPad-sized device. It would make the User Interface design guidelines that Apple is trying to clearly define for their devices messier. I think it would feel like a cramped iPad or an overly-spacious iPhone.... and nothing else. I support Apple on this one... at least until they come out with their own 7" device.
  • Reply 117 of 344
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Looks like the Torch is going up in smoke and current Balckberries are getting a little long in the tooth.



    Apple is spanking everyone and provides a guiding light for the industry. The also-rans will naturally chafe at this situation. That's just tough. RIM isn't laying down any new game so Mr. Jim Nobody can only manage a half-hearted, weak response.
  • Reply 118 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post


    What do you expect RIM to say?



    "My God! Steve Jobs is RIGHT! We are failures!!"



    A man of integrity would learn from Jobs, yeah. But the clowns running Apple's competitors really aren't much of anything. You could make better men out of bananas.
  • Reply 119 of 344
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corax View Post


    Yes, IF the powerusage of the screen is 20% with the 9,7" iPad, 80% being other components, than a 7" would use around 90% (10% less) but have HALF the space for batteries.



    So yet another great reason for the larger format! Thanks for explaining.
  • Reply 120 of 344
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post


    A man of integrity would learn from Jobs, yeah. But the clowns running Apple's competitors really aren't much of anything. You could make better men out of bananas.



    Oh come on I think you could use any fruit, why be so adamant about bananas?
Sign In or Register to comment.