New photos claim to show Apple's prototype CDMA Verizon iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Photos, possibly from a repair shop in Vietnam, have surfaced allegedly showing a prototype CDMA iPhone in Device Verification Test phase.

The photos, which were obtained by the blogger Richy Rich, may serve to further corroborate evidence of a CDMA iPhone, but should, of course, be taken with a grain of salt. The report comes just one day after rumors emerged that Apple is undergoing field testing of a CDMA iPhone 4 revision.

Richy Rich believes the live shots "originated from a repair shop in Vietnam" and depict a test operating similar to the "Inferno" operating system seen on photos and video of a prototype iPhone 4, also reportedly in the DVT stage, leaked by a Vietnamese forum in May.

In August, John Gruber of Daring Fireball reported that a CDMA-variant of the iPhone 4, internally known as model N92, had reached Engineering Verification Test status, "one step below DVT." One photo obtained by Richy Rich identifies the test unit as "N92DVT."

The post seconds an earlier report that the CDMA version of the iPhone will retain the micro-SIM slot on the side of the device, speculating that it will either have "global roaming capabilities" or function as a dual-band "one device for all unit."

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have persisted for years, gaining traction earlier this month when major media outlets (1, 2) reported that the device was ready for production and could arrive early next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    Looks like the same form factor! And no Verizon logo! Good for Apple!

PS. Wouldn't that be a coup for Apple if they could make it dual band?

Best
  • Reply 2 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Too bad the photo's are so crappy.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    There it is! What 'it' is, is the question.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Photos, possibly from a repair shop in Vietnam, have surfaced allegedly showing a prototype CDMA iPhone in Device Verification Test phase....

what kind of pathetic loser writes his name all over the pictures like that? How sad.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    I have to call BS on this. Do you think Apple is going to copy the same design that has an antenna flaw?
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Well, there you have it. This is indisputable! I'm all-in!
  • Reply 7 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Looks like the same form factor! And no Verizon logo! Good for Apple!

PS. Wouldn't that be a coup for Apple if they could make it dual band?

Best

In time for Christmas would be nice!
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

I have to call BS on this. Do you think Apple is going to copy the same design that has an antenna flaw?

What flaw?
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

what kind of pathetic loser writes his name all over the pictures like that? How sad.

No different to any picture on the web with the name of the owner embedded. Not saying it makes it true but I fail to see the name has any bearing on the potential veracity one way or the other.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Don't fall for this shit.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yep, espionage just isn't what it used to be is it?
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Pretty damned confident about this I see ...

"Photos, possibly from a repair shop in Vietnam, have surfaced allegedly showing a prototype CDMA iPhone in Device Verification Test phase."
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

No different to any picture on the web with the name of the owner embedded. Not saying it makes it true but I fail to see the name has any bearing on the potential veracity one way or the other.

It doesn't except that it paints the photo source as an egomaniacal loser. People with a psychology like that are generally less trustworthy than others, but they could still be real pics.

In any case, I don't' really care if the pics are real or not, it's not exactly a coup either way to get a picture of a phone that's indistinguishable from the current iPhone from the outside.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

It doesn't except that it paints the photo source as an egomaniacal loser. People with a psychology like that are generally less trustworthy than others, but they could still be real pics.

In any case, I don't' really care if the pics are real or not, it's not exactly a coup either way to get a picture of a phone that's indistinguishable from the current iPhone from the outside.

I didn't cover 'egomaniacal paint work' when I did psych at uni but I'll take your word for it, I agree it is most likely a scam.

I looked it up .... I think (3) proves you are correct.

Egomaniacal person:

1) A self-absorbed waste of oxygen who expects us to grovel at their feet like the unwashed masses they see us as

2.) Someone who talks just to hear themselves (because no-one else will listen)

3.) Someone who posts definitions of their name because they think people care who they are.

4.) The French.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

The kind that, when his pictures are posted on many websites, wants everyone to know were the pictures came from.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Quote:

I used to watch the Richy Rich cartoon when I was a kid.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Don't know if this is legit or not (I would tend to think not) but I doubt Apple would make the CDMA phone l look much different from from the GSM phone.

What would be the point?
  • Reply 18 of 52
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What flaw?

The flaw that kept Apple to only selling about 14 million iPhone 4's in the quarter (155,000 every day from July 1 through September 30) that they just reported the numbers for.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    So what's to prove this isn't just a poorly photographed GSM iPhone 4, with an ad-hoc app running? I could take much better pictures of my iPhone 4 and claim it's a Verizon iPhone too! I think AI has been a little too gullible in believing this rumour.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You'd think they'd at least want to take a spy picture of an iPhone using an iPhone.