Mac OS X for iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
So just curious, would anybody else be willing to pay for a version of Mac OS X for the iPad? I mean similar to the desktop version, rather than the iOS version that we have now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    No. OS X is designed for one point of input. iOS is designed for multiple. A straight port of Mac OS to a multitouch environment is useless.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. OS X is designed for one point of input. iOS is designed for multiple. A straight port of Mac OS to a multitouch environment is useless.

I am NOT looking for a straight port. Jesus, you guys here are ruthless. I clearly stated a smaller or dumbed down version. Read before you bash.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jjaro View Post

I am NOT looking for a straight port. Jesus, you guys here are ruthless. I clearly stated a smaller or dumbed down version. Read before you bash.

iOS is a dumbed-down version. iOS is OS X. My points about a desktop OS on a multitouch device still stand.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

So just curious, would anybody else be willing to pay for a version of Mac OS X for the iPad? I mean similar to the desktop version, rather than the iOS version that we have now.

Personally i like the distintion between the two OS's. Plus Mac OS/X wouldn't work well as a Touch OS. Beyound that Stevo was pretty clear about Touch on a Mac and frankly I agree with Apples position. It is far better to keep the two products focused on their respective qualities instead of trying to over burden the user interfaces.

That doesn't mean Mac doesn't pick up some of iOS gui. Steve already has demonstrated how 10.7 will morph gui wise. Honestly though I don't think these are primary focuses of 10.7, I actually think Apple is keeping the interesting changes close to the chest.

I'm actually wondering why you brought this up. What advantage do you think this would give you? Especially now that Apples little notebook is out.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carolwinstlet View Post

Apple would be launching Mac OS X 10.7 to the iPod, it would bring iOS 4 to Apple's Mac computers with icon-focused interface for available apps, app folders along with Menus. This would also featured with full screen modes as used in laptops and desktops as well as touching interface on to the screen.

You're probably the single most intelligently created spammer I've ever seen. Your posts are just BARELY on topic enough not to be noticed. I commend you. Still reported, though. Nice try.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Mac OS X desktop would run so slowly on an iPad. The A4 chip is slower than a 1GHz G4.

iOS is an optimised version of OS X for a mobile platform.

What could happen is that they put iOS into OS X (it's only 850MB) and use it in a touch mode like HP's Touchsmart.

The only reason to do that though is when you can hold a laptop like an iPad. This will be a difficult transition to make because of the ports and also because if they make it like the iPad, most of the apps expect the keyboard and mouse. They can tweak the standard UI to work better for touch but they will want the majority of apps to work best with touch.

They can create dual-mode apps that enter a touch-supporting fullscreen mode and make touch-support mandatory. This way all apps that have a fullscreen mode can work with touch. Then when this reaches a majority, the iPad/MBA convergence can happen.

For now, it will be the MB and MBA that converge, possibly as soon as next year and then we get 10.7 with features that push resolution independence and fullscreen support.

You can actually see what it looks like from the Youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eblWBqkjeo

The UI elements are too small in the normal state but blown up with RI, they should be fine
  • Reply 7 of 8
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

What do you even mean by this? Which aspects of OSX are you after? Running MacOSX software? The windowing system? Open file system access? Something else?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

You replied to one person, saying: you guys. That was one person who joined the forums 3 months ago. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, the whole point of iOS is it's relative simplicity. You can't do Mac OS X on an iPad and keep that simplicity. It's a different device, for different uses. Having a cool Mac laptop in the future with iOS type touch technology is a different matter. Something will have to happen eventually. Though, the trackpad and mouse have proved very powerful for good reason - they are.