Steve Jobs: Apple will use $51B for big moves, not 'stupid' ones

Comments

• Reply 161 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Way too niche for Apple, considering it's 7.5B. When you consider Twitter, if available, would be worth about $4B.

Apple IS a niche - at least for their desktops. Most graphic designers I know use Adobe products on Macs, and most 3D designers I know use Cinema 4D / Maya / 3DS on Macs (but dish out jobs to linux-based renderfarms)... Pixar is his baby, and by improving their answer to Adobe products, he could cover all aspects of design (commercial graphic and motion).

Idk...

My other idea is to an audio systems company - like Altec Lansing. Or maybe Logitech...?

edit: Well, Logitech makes a lot of keyboards and mice, so never mind (Apple seems to be moving away from the standard peripheral). Though they also make great speakers and webcams... Audio and Visual is Apples thing...
  • Reply 162 of 193
    Keep in mind that Microsoft owns stock in facebook. Apple would have to buy microsofts stake in facebook also.
  • Reply 163 of 193
    No entity should have that much money in any bank. Money being a finite resource, Apple alone is responsible for millions of the poor people all around the world. Apple specifically only did what it could to be successful, but when you have THAT much money, you're hurting the world.
  • Reply 164 of 193
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

No entity should have that much money in any bank. Money being a finite resource, Apple alone is responsible for millions of the poor people all around the world. Apple specifically only did what it could to be successful, but when you have THAT much money, you're hurting the world.

Yes. Apple is being niggardly.
  • Reply 165 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by binarystorm View Post

Buy Netflix

Then a wireless company for infrastructure (access to towers and spectrum), ubiquitous coverage, and then start installing "tv whitespace" technology on those towers.

Blockbuster is a much better deal
  • Reply 166 of 193
    would be to buy Time Warner....

Market cap of about 35B USD - at a 15% premium, would cost them 40B. Enough left in the tank for a bidding war, should one erupt, and Apple can also take on some debt if required.

This would give Apple entry into media in a big way - movies, music, print publications, TV shows, etc. Together with this, Apple also gets a shot at cracking open the cable business and ISP businesses.

Apple already has a good relationship with Disney, courtesy Steve Jobs' 7% stake in Disney. Owning Time Warner as well will give Apple the clout it needs to control the music business.

Have blogged in detail about this - http://prastalk.blogspot.com/2010/10...-its-cash.html
  • Reply 167 of 193
    Quote:

That wouldn't be the best way to spend 40B.

With a market CAP of just over 1B, they could buy Pioneer. Pioneer make the best TVs money can buy. That would be awesome. All of Pioneer's stuff is top-notch.

Except Pioneer does not make TVs anymore.
  • Reply 168 of 193
    with that amount of cash and reserves, along with Jobs' business and technical savvy, i'm very keen to see what Apple delivers to market in the next five (5) years.
  • Reply 169 of 193
    Facebook and Tweeter - bad idea.

With Semantic Web revolution approaching all these fragmented social networking web sites will vanish. There will be just one global semantic web database, one global user pool connected by semantic properties.

Google with its primitive keyword search will be irrelevant and it will vanish. Semantic search will be 1000 times more intelligent and it will be done by simple AJAX widgets.

Adobe, Sony, Time Warner, Verizon, AMD - these are much better ideas imho.

Adobe still makes the best well integrated creative suite. It's time Apple pays its dues to its core users and makes a boost to the desktop business. Sony owns a lot of home theater patents, has great manufacturing and they are in media business. Samsung would be even better: they build own LCDs panels and flash memory, but the market cap is too big.
  • Reply 170 of 193
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

My other idea is to an audio systems company - like Altec Lansing. Or maybe Logitech...?

Apple are better off using these companies to make products for them as they are throw away items. There is no point making only high end speakers when the general every day user wont use them or cant afford them. The same goes for low end speakers and high end users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Adobe, Sony, Time Warner, Verizon, AMD - these are much better ideas imho.

Never thought about AMD and that would make sense as they are designing their own silicon and want to take everything inhouse nowadays.

They can ditch intel CPUs and also use AMD as their sole video card too.

It could be a win win all round.
  • Reply 171 of 193
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

... The key to Apple's success has been razor sharp focus on what Apple is good at and Apple cannot afford to spread themselves too thin and lose that focus.

I think the partial quote from alexkhan2000 referenced above bears repeating.

I don't think most of the acquisition suggestions mentioned (especially the emotion, and vindictive based ones) so far in this post make much sense. I don't know what specific plans Apple has but based on what they have done over the last 5 years I trust that they will make acquisitions that will aid them in accomplishing their goals.

As both a consumer and shareholder I am very satisfied with what Apple has accomplished and I believe that will continue for many more years.
  • Reply 172 of 193
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

OMG another one!
  • Reply 173 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Buy ADOBE !!!!

This!.. Please.
  • Reply 174 of 193
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Keep in mind that Microsoft owns stock in facebook. Apple would have to buy microsofts stake in facebook also.

Big deal.
  • Reply 175 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

would be to buy Time Warner....

Market cap of about 35B USD - at a 15% premium, would cost them 40B. Enough left in the tank for a bidding war, should one erupt, and Apple can also take on some debt if required.

This would give Apple entry into media in a big way - movies, music, print publications, TV shows, etc. Together with this, Apple also gets a shot at cracking open the cable business and ISP businesses.

That's not how it works. You think the other studios would let Apple simply do that, and continue to serve them content? They wouldn't. That would be a bad move.
  • Reply 176 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Except Pioneer does not make TVs anymore.

I know. That's purely financial. The TVs they still have in channel-inventory are still the best. They'd be buying up their TV factories, talent and IP. Not to mention their experience, for when they themselves get into making TVs and start to produce them. This way they get their foot in the door early and can learn quickly, while manufacturing them themselves and cutting out the middleman, thus producing a better valued premium product. At 1B I think it would be at least an interesting acquisition. Won't happen though.
  • Reply 177 of 193
    Apple won't be buying Adobe. I don't know why exactly, but I feel confident they won't.
  • Reply 178 of 193
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

That's not how it works. You think the other studios would let Apple simply do that, and continue to serve them content? They wouldn't. That would be a bad move.

AAPL wouldn't do that except in a doomsday scenario where content has already been cut off and given to a favored competitor (like say Amazon). At that point AAPL can either attempt to completely disrupt the distribution chain and change the rules that the game is played or just fold.

I'm guessing Jobs would go for disrupt over fold.
  • Reply 179 of 193
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    What about buying Electronic Arts (5 bio)?
  • Reply 180 of 193
    I would like to see Apple continue to diversify for long term growth.

In my opinion, it's remarkable that the company acquired the expertise and ability to produce the iPhone.

Clearly the iPhone has created a large and profitable market for the company.

Al Gore sits on Apple's Board, would it be possible that Apple could further diversify and create another market for itself in the field of energy production similar to Bloom Energy?

UPDATE !

Yesterday, October 21, 2010, Steve Jobs met with President Obama. One of the topics they discussed was energy independence. In a previous interview with Walt Mossberg, Steve had mentioned that he was interested in alternative energy.

If Apple could acquire the expertise and ability to produce a device, a fuel cell the size of say a microwave oven, that would power your house, imagine the market. Imagine the value of a share of Apple stock!

I remember a few years ago reading that General Motors was working on such a device and they expected it to come to market within 3 to 5 years. It didn't.

Today, Apple is the company that could make that big move. Apple is the company that could succeed where others have failed. Apple would be the most important company in the universe and Steve Jobs' legacy would be unparalleled. At this point it's about legacy.