Apple to stream today's 'Back to the Mac' event live

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has announced that it will offer a live Web-based stream of today's "Back to the Mac" event from its Cupertino, Calif., campus, where the company is expected to introduce new MacBook Airs and an updated version of the iLife suite [updated with live link].

Today's event will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern. It can be streamed from Apple.com on a Mac running Safari and Mac OS X 10.6. Snow Leopard. It will also be available to users of an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad running iOS 3.0 or higher.

Apple noted the event will be broadcast using its "industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming" technology, based on open standards.

This will mark the second straight event that Apple will stream live to users around the world. The company also offered a live broadcast of its iPod-centric event on Sept. 1, where the holiday lineup of iPods and new Apple TV were introduced.

Apple previously provided a webcast of its keynote events years ago, but stopped doing so in 2005. The change in for the last two events may have been inspired by the Wi-Fi meltdown that occurred at the iPhone 4 unveiling, when Chief Executive Steve Jobs had difficulty showing off the company's latest handset because there were too many Wi-Fi hotspots in the Moscone Center.

Jobs asked members in the audience if they could turn off their Wi-Fi devices, but many did not comply, and Jobs was unable to demonstrate some of the features of the iPhone 4. The CEO said there were 570 Wi-Fi base stations within the auditorium, disrupting connectivity.

For those who can't access the stream, AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of today's event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    I'm stuck in an office without a single mac. I guess it's over to engadget for me and time to start sending out resumes.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Awesome. I'll be hogging the bandwidth for the show as much as I can.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Is there a link? Does anyone know the link? I don't see anything on Apple's website..
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Having been at this year's WWDC, I can vouch for the WiFi problem. In fact, it often seemed to be a problem during breaks, when the free WiFi access that had been set up worked only spottily (and there was an avalanche of WiFi networks showing up when you tried).
  • Reply 5 of 56
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Be nice if this streams live to the new Apple TV. I'd like to watch it on the big screen. And is 5.1 audio too much to ask?
  • Reply 6 of 56
    xazxaz Posts: 2member
    Is there a way to stream today's event on apple tv?

If so, and you know, please explain how.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    You post an article about Apple streaming the event, but don't tell us where the link is? WTF?
  • Reply 8 of 56
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

You post an article about Apple streaming the event, but don't tell us where the link is? WTF?

it'll be at apple.com, same as last time.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    today will indeed be a good day
  • Reply 10 of 56
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wish Apple would add a live podcast or something for the new Apple TV's. I know they wont stream in high def etc but it would be nice to just sit on the couch and turn on the telly rather than sit at a desk and log in via safari. \
  • Reply 11 of 56
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    We'll see. Apple never provided enough bandwidth to watch the entire keynote without it stalling.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    How much more perfect could it get than for Apple to live stream this event to, i don't know...maybe their new streaming ATV? Seriously this needs to happen.

I won't be home today, and so I am not arguing this for selfish reasons. I'm just arguing it for the loyal Apple enthusiasts everywhere. This really is a no-brainer. The only excuse I will accept if they do not do it, is if they decided too late to stream and therefore could not get it into place in time. But going forward, this needs to be a given. And not only live, but also for those who want to watch after work on a big screen instead of huddled around our Macs.

Suddenly I am seeing a conduit by which Apple will announce future products now that they won't be attending MacWorld anymore. Basically they will create their own MacWorld in your living room.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

We'll see. Apple never provided enough bandwidth to watch the entire keynote without it stalling.

That was over a month ago, hopefully theyve done something abou it.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    I don't have a MAC but VLC supports apple's HTTP live streaming. Does anyone know the URL ?
  • Reply 15 of 56
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

today will indeed be a good day

The best part will be seeing how Steve says 11.6" Mac portables is the new AWESOME after totally trashing a 7" tablet. This will be pure marketing genius at work.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gauravchak View Post

I don't have a MAC but VLC supports apple's HTTP live streaming. Does anyone know the URL ?

This worked with the last event?
  • Reply 17 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

it'll be at apple.com, same as last time.

Could it be here - http://www.apple.com/apple-events/ No announcement but it would seem the natural place
  • Reply 18 of 56
    last time it was simply on apple.com homepage...
  • Reply 19 of 56
    here's a link to apple's stream of the event. i found it on appleinsider's event commentary page...

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...qpeijrfn/event
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by austin_apple View Post

here's a link to apple's stream of the event. i found it on appleinsider's event commentary page...

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...qpeijrfn/event

I believe that this is last time's stream. Read the description below the video.