Apple previews Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, bringing iOS features 'Back to the Mac'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 174
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    WOW Lion is boring. What a disappointment.
  • Reply 42 of 174
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Now I have to share profits of my software with Apple. Steve you just lost your mind. As a developer of software if I have to share revenue with Apple on software I write for the Mac, I'll just pass the cost to the user and/or stop developing for the Mac.

1. You do not have to, you can. If you look closely, you might find other things in this world which are not for you.

2. Of course, I do not know your product, or how much revenue it creates. But if you can advertise it to millions of Mac users (the most targeted advertising you can get), plus cover hosting and credit card transactions (or paying for services like eSellerate et al) for less than 30% of your current revenue, then you must be in an excellent position and your product might be well-known enough, so it does not need to be on this store at all.

I do only write in-house software, but from what they have shown, I would see a different critical point. It seems they have again missed to provide a "try before you buy" mechanism... Without that, expensive software will be a non-starter on this platform for a lot of people.
  • Reply 43 of 174
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Now I have to share profits of my software with Apple. Steve you just lost your mind. As a developer of software if I have to share revenue with Apple on software I write for the Mac, I'll just pass the cost to the user and/or stop developing for the Mac.

No because this isn't a required program. So if you opt not to use it, fine.

but there are some developers that want a unified place for folks to find their products and don't mind paying a little for it.
  • Reply 44 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Wow, Full Screen Apps! That is amazing, revolutionary! Nothing at all like Maximize on a PC. /sarcasm

This has been my number one complaint about macs since I switched a decade ago....and I have to wait until Summer until I get it....bummer. But still happy it is finally here...

Now if they could natively have the menu bar on multiple monitors.....

.... Except in Windows all you get is a bigger window, not a different interface

A whole world of difference
  • Reply 45 of 174
    Quote:

You don't have to sell your sh!t on the app store you don't want to pony up 30% to Apple. Sell it independently and Goodluck spending more money marketing your sh!t.
  • Reply 46 of 174
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    To those who fear Apple is spending all their brain cycles on iDevices, here is your proof. All the new Mac features are ported from iDevices! With the one notable exception being iLife which deserves a big round of applause.

But just because the features are ported from iDevices doesn't mean they aren't good, I think the Mac App Store will be great.
  • Reply 47 of 174
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I'm assuming that since Launch Pad exists that the Dock is going bye bye or will take the form of the iOS dock.
  • Reply 48 of 174
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Mate, you f**ing called it spot on... DUH-AMMNN DUDE

Only thing is, it won't do it all the time, thus potentially adding more confusion.

Indeed. Sometimes the window will change size, other times it'll fill the desktop- and now it might fill the screen!
  • Reply 49 of 174
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

You do not get it. Let's say you make $1,000 a month and get 100% of profit and now you sell via Mac apps store and make $2,000 and have to give 30% away, which option would you take.

Not only will you make more overall but you will have to devote far less time to the management of distribution. In effect you have more time to work on code and construtive customer interaction.

I'm still of the opinion that if your app has any value at all app store on the Mac will be a big win. As a business it is your responsibility to find the proper price point. In the end it should be a gravy train.
  • Reply 50 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

It's not a problem. Apps are cumbersome. One app for every platform. The future is web based apps. The whole apple wall garden will come tumbling down then.

Interesting to see whether steve and his cronies let utorrent and flash be distributed through the app store though.

If you have ever developed a web app you wouldn't say that. They are fine for simple things if you want to put at least four times the work in to it. You could have targeted four platforms with the same effort. Makes sense for some things though, but it doesn't scale. Web is a long way from running real applications. Maybe in HTML9.
  • Reply 51 of 174
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

WOW Lion is boring. What a disappointment.

Hm, I really think this was mainly to show the new application store and get submissions rolling, and secondly to alert developers to make their desktop apps full screen ready, if they want to. They will not present everything they have in the pipeline some 9 months in advance... not with so many companies copying everything they do.
  • Reply 52 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

I agree. The Lion demo was a botch. There is no new tech, just cosmetics. I expected to have some more technical details : kernel, cocoa evolutions, CPU/GPU blending, 64-bit for all Mac capable computers, etc. Very disappointing. Maybe developers will get more infos?

This was a media/consumer conference. That kind of info is only relevent to developers, you'll see it at the next developer conference.

Also, snow leopard was ONLY under hood improvements. They need to show cosmetic changes to keep users (consumers, you know, where the money comes from) happy.
  • Reply 53 of 174
    While the new features look good for people buying a new Macbook Air or with a Laptop, it's a shame they didn't show off any features that will appeal to the guy with the iMac. They're just making the Mac more 'iOS friendly'. Good idea for the mass market, should be more to it than that though. Hope they manage to unify the UI also.

Macbook Air looks all kinds of awesome though.
  • Reply 54 of 174
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Is this guy trolling or just being downright ignorant?

In the smallest chance he's serious, where is it mentioned that you even have to publish all Mac software through the App store? They handle all the merchant logistics including credit-card processing, hosting, app-store space, bandwidth, etc... all that costs money and frankly, asking for a 30% cut is a steal compared to how much of a headache it would be to do it all yourself. You can still publish mac software the old fashioned way too. So quit your whining.
  • Reply 55 of 174
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

You do not get it. Let's say you make $1,000 a month and get 100% of profit

no one makes 100% profit. There's marketing costs, etc. I'd hazard a guess that many folks only make about 80% profit on their own.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

The BIG software companies already have mind-share. So they won't be happy with the iStore.

Why, because they don't have to use this optional program for selling their product. or because they fear their mind share isn't actually big enough to take on Joe Schmo selling his Illustrator competitor in the big bad Mac App Store.
  • Reply 56 of 174
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Do you idiots not understand how retail product distribution works?

If you can get my app in front of 50 million Mac owners, and handle application delivery AND payment processing?

I will GLADLY give you 30% of the action.
  • Reply 57 of 174
    Quote:

If you plan to use Apple's App Store then yes there should be a fee; however, posting your app on Apple's store will save you a bundle in marketing, hosting your own ecommerce site, CC transactions, site security certification, accounting, and a whole butt load of stuff. I ran an ecommerce site for years and it's a lot of work. I would've happily paid Apple or any other company the money to handle many of the mundane tasks, and have my app posted on Apple's site!!! It's a big deal to have your app there right now.

Having said that, Apple will not limit Mac apps to the store, but it will be better to have your app there and access a larger client base.
  • Reply 58 of 174
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Guidelines for getting apps ready for App Store up on Apple's dev site.

http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/checklist/

Interesting. It was there a minute ago, now it's not.

I wonder if they'll put iAds in there too?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 59 of 174
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Well you can keep spending your own money on marketing and sell directly OR use the app store. What is your current client potential market? What will the apps store potential market be? You do the math!
  • Reply 60 of 174
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

This was a media/consumer conference. That kind of info is only relevent to developers, you'll see it at the next developer conference.

Also, snow leopard was ONLY under hood improvements. They need to show cosmetic changes to keep users (consumers, you know, where the money comes from) happy.

You certainly are right, though Steve might have give us a brief glimpse of what was going on underneath. After all, even amidst the "normal" users, there are some curious geeks?

I am also disappointed to see no iWork upgrade. They said Microsoft had made a gorgeous product with the new Office for the Mac, but didn't tell us how they will catch up.