Apple previews Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, bringing iOS features 'Back to the Mac'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 174
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

WOW Lion is boring. What a disappointment.

Ha ha funny. That was the way the editor at PC World described the iPad at launch ... boring, disappointment and underwhelming and nothing new and will be swamped by the other tablets.

I am guessing these talking points are prepared at MS and Google in advance of even seeing Apple products and distributed to the anti apple diehards.
  • Reply 62 of 174
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    LoL @ demonstrating app folders on the Mac.
  • Reply 63 of 174
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

You certainly are right, though Steve might have give us a brief glimpse of what was going on underneath. After all, even amidst the "normal" users, there are some curious geeks…

I am also disappointed to see no iWork upgrade. They said Microsoft had made a gorgeous product with the new Office for the Mac, but didn't tell us how they will catch up.

My bet is iWorks and possibly iWeb will get updates later in the year or early next year.
  • Reply 64 of 174
    Quote:

You certainly are right, though Steve might have give us a brief glimpse of what was going on underneath. After all, even amidst the "normal" users, there are some curious geeks?

I am also disappointed to see no iWork upgrade. They said Microsoft had made a gorgeous product with the new Office for the Mac, but didn't tell us how they will catch up.

Well, as one of those curious geeks, I agree it'd be nice, but it's completely not apple's style. Plus, they could still change their minds on what all gets full support. Remember when full zfs read and write was gonna ship with snow leopard?

As for iWork, im baffled they can stay on top of what they offer. Right now they just released one completely new product this year, redesigned apple tv from the ground up, vastly improved their long standing products and are promising to give us a new OS at the same time as a new iOS and new iPhone. Really, how much effort could iWork have seen yet, it prolly woulda been a sloppy upgrade.
  • Reply 65 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No because this isn't a required program. So if you opt not to use it, fine.

but there are some developers that want a unified place for folks to find their products and don't mind paying a little for it.

Any Mac developer who doesn't like this is missing the forest for the trees.

Just the following simple fact should have their mouths watering.

100 mn. credit cards can now purchase your app with one click. The many millions of dollars spent on iTunes gift cards every year can now be used to buy your app.
  • Reply 66 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Hm, I really think this was mainly to show the new application store and get submissions rolling, and secondly to alert developers to make their desktop apps full screen ready, if they want to. They will not present everything they have in the pipeline some 9 months in advance... not with so many companies copying everything they do.

++++

The real Lion will come out at the January 2011 event, after the holidays.

The point of this was twofold:

1) Get developers ready to submit their apps to the Apple Store, so they can hopefully reap the benefits of the millions of dollars of iTunes gift cards given away during Christmas (and used in the month after Christmas).

2) Release the new Macbook Airs, and see millions of these being sold during the upcoming holiday season.
  • Reply 67 of 174
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mac App Store = NOT THE ONLY WY TO GET APPS ON

THE MAC!!!!!

For now...
  • Reply 68 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

LoL @ demonstrating app folders on the Mac.

Now that you point it out, thats hilarious...
  • Reply 69 of 174
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

For apps sold through the Apple Store, the developer gets 70% of a lot. Selling these same apps through their own websites, they got 100% of a little. Oh, pray tell when will Apple stop? Helping developers dramatically increase their earnings. It's downright evil!

For a small time developer this will help get their apps in the spotlight. The cost of a domain name, merchandising, etc etc will no longer be a factor. Again for small time developers this will be a nice way to get their apps distributed!
  • Reply 70 of 174
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    You better polish Folders before you drag that crap thru everywhere, Apple.
  • Reply 71 of 174
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I agree. The Lion demo was a botch. There is no new tech, just cosmetics. I expected to have some more technical details : kernel, cocoa evolutions, CPU/GPU blending, 64-bit for all Mac capable computers, etc. Very disappointing. Maybe developers will get more infos?

It was a press event, not a developer conference. I didn't really expect them to offer anything but eye candy today.
  • Reply 72 of 174
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

Well, as one of those curious geeks, I agree it'd be nice, but it's completely not apple's style. Plus, they could still change their minds on what all gets full support. Remember when full zfs read and write was gonna ship with snow leopard?

Yes. I wonder what would have happened, should they have completed this task, with Sun being now under Oracle's sway.

Quote:

As for iWork, im baffled they can stay on top of what they offer. Right now they just released one completely new product this year, redesigned apple tv from the ground up, vastly improved their long standing products and are promising to give us a new OS at the same time as a new iOS and new iPhone. Really, how much effort could iWork have seen yet, it prolly woulda been a sloppy upgrade.

Well, I guess there's nothing much to do except wait and hope it won't be too long now. To be blindly optimistic, I'd say we've never been so close to the future update!
  • Reply 73 of 174
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

That's the problem. Lose 30% of your income, or be left behind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

You do not get it. Let's say you make $1,000 a month and get 100% of profit and now you sell via Mac apps store and make $2,000 and have to give 30% away, which option would you take.

Precisely, and neither option infringes on his right to whine.
  • Reply 74 of 174
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Now I have to share profits of my software with Apple. Steve you just lost your mind. As a developer of software if I have to share revenue with Apple on software I write for the Mac, I'll just pass the cost to the user and/or stop developing for the Mac.

Only the joke is on you because you didn't read the whole thing that said it was optional for the developer. No walled garden. But as a panicky newbie you look good with egg on your face.

So how much do you pay for bandwidth? Hosting? Storefront software or service? Packaging development? Boxing? Elaborate licensing schemes? Wholesale discount? Institutional time to do all that stuff, plus the all the other stuff related to distribution I didn't list?

I'm sure you already are a paid dev, so you won't have to add anything there, now how much per sale is all the above costing your company? Do the math and decide if 30% off the retail shelf price brings you out ahead compared to what you get from the wholesale distribution price. If so, stop complaining and sign up. If you are one of the rare devs who have all that suitcased and efficient with an existing healthy distribution network, just keep doing what you are doing, there is nothing here for you.
  • Reply 75 of 174
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    70/30 revenue split?! Is Apple nuts?

Yea, I can see reams of Mac developers signing up for that shit.

Listing on MacUpdate $0, App Store, 30% of your revenues.

I smell a flop
  • Reply 76 of 174
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the Lion demos showed some multitouch UI controlling, but couldn't tell if everything will become multi-touchable, like pull down menus are on iPad. too soon to show many things of course. presumably the beta will be released at WWDC in January, with a lot more Lion preview then.
  • Reply 77 of 174
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Any Mac developer who doesn't like this is missing the forest for the trees.

The people you see whining aren't 'real' developers, just ignore them.
  • Reply 78 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

BThe ability to find all (most) apps in one place, and to manage these apps (updates) is sure to benefit both end users and developers. The price of apps will probably drop yet developers should see at least as much money (at least as when the apps are sold through brick and mortar stores). I am also willing to bet that app sales will shoot up as a result of the app store. Maybe not heavy expensive apps like Adobe, MS and the like, but all the small great apps that aren't always easy to find out there in the wild.

Yes, I completely agree. As soon as I used the App Store on my iPod Touch and then iPhone, I was wishing for the same for the Mac. This will sell more apps, bring in more money for developers (and Apple), and provide a great service to end-users. Even if Mac developers keep the price of their apps the same but give 30% to Apple, they will most-likely bring in more $$ by benefiting in potentially increased visibility ("free" advertising) and distribution savings while reaping the benefits of a slick and convenient purchase and upgrade interface for their end-users.

For most developers, this will be a win-win solution. I only wish I were a Mac developer today! This is a GREAT opportunity!
  • Reply 79 of 174
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Now I have to share profits of my software with Apple. Steve you just lost your mind. As a developer of software if I have to share revenue with Apple on software I write for the Mac, I'll just pass the cost to the user and/or stop developing for the Mac.

OMFG, nightmare man, they are all out to get your money.

Of course you could just continue to sell your software through the internet like everyone else does at the moment.

Not all game devs sell their games through Steam and not all Mac developers will sell through the Mac App store.

Take a chill pill and stop being so alarmist. (OF COURSE WE ALL KNOW THAT THIS IS A POOR ATTEMPT AT A TROLL)
  • Reply 80 of 174
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

...with the Mac App store you will have EVERY Mac user looking at your awesome great wonderful app...

yes, my awesome great wonderful app is number 270,001 in the store. VERY easy to find, and EVERY Mac user browses the library...