Apple introduces iLife '11 with updated versions of iPhoto, iMovie

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

iWeb? No update...

+1 Bummed. I had hoped for... hmm... what had I hoped for? Not sure. Something that made more complex sites, I suppose. Maybe html 5 pages with help using h-5 to the fullest.

Sort of sounds like a next-gen thing, huh? Maybe next summer with iLife '12.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I was really hoping for a revamped iWeb and it didn't even get updated.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was under the impression would already import and export HD content.

It does.

I suppose he means it doesn't support HighestDef (1080p) and obviously can't write BlueRay disks.

Some folks are never satisfied.

[ed. Whoops, I only have V7. Didn't know the latest versions could do 1080p. Anyway, even more disproves the OP's complaint.]
  • Reply 24 of 65
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday unveiled the latest version of its iLife software suite, with the 2011 edition including new versions of the same five applications: iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iDVD and iWeb.

iDVD and iWeb look like carryovers, no new features at all.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:

Just ordered mine Shipping in 24 hours.

I would have ordered mine now too, but I just bought my daughter an iMac and I qualify for the up-to-date upgrade.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Bought it.

iWeb & iDVD look unchanged. Can't find anything on the web site about multiple audio tracks in iMovie (mix them in GB, I guess). People Finder seems cool.

iPhoto & iMovie now act as catalogs. For those of us with digital cameras that also do movies, this could get confusing. If I import the contents of a card and it has movies & photos on it, where do they go? Can I see them in both? If I double click a movie in iPhoto will it open iMovie?

From the iMovie web site: "iMovie puts it all in one place and organizes it for you so your video is easy to browse and fun to watch. Just plug in your device, open iMovie, and start importing your video."

When I plug in my camera, iPhoto launches and I import from there. Now what?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Is anybody else impressed with the iLife price reduction from $70 to $50? That's pretty cool!

Something I did not see mentioned is whether iPhone 4 movies are imported directly as iMovie events rather than via iPhoto. Of course I wouldn't expect to see such a visually unspectacular improvement featured in a keynote. I do hope if somebody runs out and buys this today in the store, that they will report back with an answer to my question.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    "Even your phone rocks your single. GarageBand can take your song, Apple Loop, or any recorded audio and instantly turn it into a custom ringtone optimized for iPhone."

Hmmm... Was that in there before?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

If I double click a movie in iPhoto will it open iMovie?

As iLife '09, movies in iPhoto play in QuickTime X. No idea about iLife '11.

Quote:

Historically that's how it's always been. Movies shot with a digital camera are imported into iPhoto. Movies filmed with a camcorder can be imported directly into iMovie.

Quote:

"Even your phone rocks your single. GarageBand can take your song, Apple Loop, or any recorded audio and instantly turn it into a custom ringtone optimized for iPhone."

Yes. I have iLife '09 and that feature is there.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Yes, GB was already able to do this

Quote:

- Jasen.

• Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

iDVD and iWeb look like carryovers, no new features at all.

Astounding. I was ready to pony up cash if iWeb was updated. I wonder if this means they'll eventually be dropping it from the suite?

Here are the features the new version needs:

1. Blog updating of iWeb sites from any computer and any platform. Currently to update a blog I need to go home to my iMac with the entire website file and publish the website. Stupid. Other blog tools online allow content creation even when away from the machine.

2. Template converter. If I switch between designs using Apple-created template, my existing website gets bollixed up. That needs to change. Apple should be smart enough to have their software properly format the old content for the new template, without a ton of work tweaking the content to make it fit and look good.

3. New templates. Yeah, there are 3rd parties doing it. But no one has designs that look as sharp as Apples, at least that I've found. Plus, converting the old to new completely screws up my site (see #2, above). Too much work to covert.

4. Better control over site formatting. Currently if I want to change the width of a blog page, for example, I can do it with but it's not that easy. Also, it doesn't change the underlying template. They need to have an easy, intuitive way to make some of those alterations to the underlying template more easily.

5. Multiple domain name control. Currently MobileMe allows me to use one domain. that's it. I publish several sites to several domains. One hosted by Mobile Me and the rest hosted by GoDaddy. But I still want to use iWeb for those multiple sites and multiple domains. Currently Multisite for iWeb provides some workaround, but I need to quite iWeb, change sites, and come back in. Plus, MobileMe only allows one domain. If I wanted two sites published to MobileMe under two different domains. Forget it. Doesn't work.

Go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and tell them they need to update it with these features!

I know, I can buy some other website creation tool if I want, I can use some other blog tool, or I can use different hosting.. But I really like iWeb for its templates and its excellent integration with MobileMe and the iLife suite. I just want that improved a bit. Is that too much to ask of our dear Apple?
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

How many audio tracks? Also when will iLife be available - did he say?

The current version has tonnes and tonnes of tracks available. I had one movie with over 20 tracks so how much are you wanting?

I'm missing iWeb. I guess I'll stick to Flux then. HTML5 support, web development capabilities for Ruby and PHP, even support for Wordpress and Tumblr themes.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    I have not been able to find any mention of whether iLife '11 made the transition to a 64-bit suite from a 32-bit suite. So, I presume iLife '11 remains a 32-bit suite. Does anyone know to the contrary?

Update: iLife 11 remains 32-bits according to Macrumors; determined via Activity Monitor.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    ...the ability to merge & consolidate libraries from different users & machines. Why can't they add this simple feature? Fuck slideshows and while I'm at it, fuck Garageband too. I hate Garageband.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Well iLife 11 will not be in my future. I am still on a PowerPC. I am being left in the technology dust.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    nevermind
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Steve Jobs re: iMovie

B.S. The number one request has been high definition support.

-kpluck

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was under the impression would already import and export HD content.

It does! iMovie had support for AAVCHD long before FCP.

• Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

Yes i noticed that too ... so that's five Macs as in same as Family pack right? Apple always allowed use on a laptop and a MacPro for example but with some assumption it wasn't at the same time, this is new. I wonder if they will limit this to consumer apps. I doubt FCPro Studio is a one click purchase and usable on five Macs!

You can run FCP on one Mac at a time -- it checks the network for others running -- similar to MS Office apps.

• Reply 39 of 65
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Bought it.

iWeb & iDVD look unchanged. Can't find anything on the web site about multiple audio tracks in iMovie (mix them in GB, I guess). People Finder seems cool.

iPhoto & iMovie now act as catalogs. For those of us with digital cameras that also do movies, this could get confusing. If I import the contents of a card and it has movies & photos on it, where do they go? Can I see them in both? If I double click a movie in iPhoto will it open iMovie?

From the iMovie web site: "iMovie puts it all in one place and organizes it for you so your video is easy to browse and fun to watch. Just plug in your device, open iMovie, and start importing your video."

- Jasen.

When you plug in your camera and iPhoto opens, you should then quit iPhoto and open iMovie.

You can then import the video into iMovie. Don't import it in to iPhoto.

If you do import it into iPhoto you can still access it in iMovie, but I find it better to keep then separate.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post

Astounding. I was ready to pony up cash if iWeb was updated. I wonder if this means they'll eventually be dropping it from the suite?

Here are the features the new version needs:

1. Blog updating of iWeb sites from any computer and any platform. Currently to update a blog I need to go home to my iMac with the entire website file and publish the website. Stupid. Other blog tools online allow content creation even when away from the machine.

2. Template converter. If I switch between designs using Apple-created template, my existing website gets bollixed up. That needs to change. Apple should be smart enough to have their software properly format the old content for the new template, without a ton of work tweaking the content to make it fit and look good.

3. New templates. Yeah, there are 3rd parties doing it. But no one has designs that look as sharp as Apples, at least that I've found. Plus, converting the old to new completely screws up my site (see #2, above). Too much work to covert.

4. Better control over site formatting. Currently if I want to change the width of a blog page, for example, I can do it with but it's not that easy. Also, it doesn't change the underlying template. They need to have an easy, intuitive way to make some of those alterations to the underlying template more easily.

5. Multiple domain name control. Currently MobileMe allows me to use one domain. that's it. I publish several sites to several domains. One hosted by Mobile Me and the rest hosted by GoDaddy. But I still want to use iWeb for those multiple sites and multiple domains. Currently Multisite for iWeb provides some workaround, but I need to quite iWeb, change sites, and come back in. Plus, MobileMe only allows one domain. If I wanted two sites published to MobileMe under two different domains. Forget it. Doesn't work.

Go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and tell them they need to update it with these features!

I know, I can buy some other website creation tool if I want, I can use some other blog tool, or I can use different hosting.. But I really like iWeb for its templates and its excellent integration with MobileMe and the iLife suite. I just want that improved a bit. Is that too much to ask of our dear Apple?

Must you shout?