Apple previews Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, bringing iOS features 'Back to the Mac'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Then don?t use it, and be left behind.

Bingo.

He didn't say App Store distribution wouldn't be exclusive.

Think about it.
  • Reply 82 of 174
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Now I have to share profits of my software with Apple. Steve you just lost your mind. As a developer of software if I have to share revenue with Apple on software I write for the Mac, I'll just pass the cost to the user and/or stop developing for the Mac.

???

So you now distribute and manage your updates (to name only 2 things) completely free of cost?

You don't have to participate in the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 83 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by senjaz View Post

I seriously hope they have something more impressive to show us later. The whole segment on Mac OS X Lion was underwhelming.

Did anyone else notice the lack of a title bar on the Mac App Store application window?

And the application launcher, what's wrong with having two buttons with arrows pointing left and right. Much quicker to operate with a mouse than with the multi-touch surface of the mouse. The demonstrator looked like he was having problems having the OS register what he was trying to do.

The new MacBook Air was news worthy at least.

banging.head.against.wall...

It wasn't a demo of Lion, it was an announcement and preview of a couple of features and directions.

Jeez dude.
  • Reply 84 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Steve had a great point about vertically touching a screen all day (but I guess he hasn't read the studies about all the health + IQ improvements you get from STANDING at work -- oh well, wait a few years for those ergonomics).

He (and touch monitor critics) aren't saying anything about standing. The ergonomic issue is about reaching out with your arm horizontally for extended periods.
  • Reply 85 of 174
    Avid mac user. Got every member of my family to switch.

That said, I will not be purchasing Lion if the major features are downloadable (for 10.6) and pre-existent (I already have a desktop with icons). Apple will certainly show more features, but if they truly had a game-changer, one that affected developers, wouldn't that have shown it today? Isn't that why they showed the App Store?

Come on Apple! What happened to you guys?
  • Reply 86 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

It's not a problem. Apps are cumbersome. One app for every platform. The future is web based apps. The whole apple wall garden will come tumbling down then.

Interesting to see whether steve and his cronies let utorrent and flash be distributed through the app store though.

I love critics who's worlds shamelessly revolve around their ability to steal.
  • Reply 87 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

If your making sales because of apple's store, apple's format, apple's genius algorithms. If you sell your software in a brick and mortar store, the store gets a cut, why would this be different.

Again, if it doesn't work and sales dint increase, then don't use it!

May as well give up. Anyone who isn't smart enough to understand the advantage of a 30% distro deal probably writes crap software anyway.
  • Reply 88 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

So Apple has gone from a single button mouse to multi-touch gestures. It will be very interesting to see how that plays out. The guy demoing Mission Control had problems with the gestures being recognized. How frustrating will false readings be for end users? ....

Have you ever done a presentation with millions of people watching?

For christ's sake, the guy's hands were shaking.

Give him a break.
  • Reply 89 of 174
    The only thing.. what if we don't have any multi-touch devices attached to our Mac Pro? Does that make most of the new 'features' of 10.7 moot? I already have a giant drawing tablet, sadly doesn't recognize multi-touch.
  • Reply 90 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Have you ever done a presentation with millions of people watching?

For christ's sake, the guy's hands were shaking.

Give him a break.

Exactly.. it's nerve wracking to know that a room full of people, plus millions online, are watching you demo something.
  • Reply 91 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

All the new Mac features are ported from iDevices! .

Wow... I'm impressed that you somehow were able to see ALL of Lion's features today.

Pray tell how you accomplished that? What the rest of us saw was a direction statement and selected preview of a couple of features.
  • Reply 92 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

It looks like Spaces as we know it was eliminated from Lion. Spaces was my favorite feature of Leopard, and I never use Exposé or Dashboard currently. I'll be sorely disappointed if they make it only useable with full screen apps.

That might not be the case.
    Quote:

Mission Control is a powerful and handy new feature that provides you with a comprehensive view of what?s running on your Mac. It gives you a bird?s-eye view of everything ? including Exposé, Spaces, Dashboard, and full-screen apps? all in one place. With a simple swipe gesture, your desktop zooms out to Mission Control. There you can see your open windows grouped by app, thumbnails of your full-screen apps, Dashboard, and even other Spaces, arranged in a unified view. And you can get to anything you see on Mission Control with just one click. Making you the master of all you survey.

• Reply 93 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

LoL @ demonstrating app folders on the Mac.

After using iOS 4 since June, I return to my Mac and find myself wishing there was something as organizationally simple on the desktop.

Excellent move IMO.
  • Reply 94 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Now I have to share profits of my software with Apple. Steve you just lost your mind. As a developer of software if I have to share revenue with Apple on software I write for the Mac, I'll just pass the cost to the user and/or stop developing for the Mac.

What would you prefer, the cost of packaging, shipping and stocking a box on a dusty shelf at CompUSA? And give CompUSA 60%-70% to CompUSA?

Or put it on the Apple store and start collecting checks?

Perhaps I'm missing something here!

Best
  • Reply 95 of 174
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I think Apple will lose long time developers who might find the idea sickening, as some of us feel. Anyone who doesn't see this as a trojan horse deal and only as an "optional" source is drinking too much of the koolaid. I don't mean to sound like a sourpuss, I'm a Mac advocate.

It doesn't matter because for Apple it will still yield a great outcome. There will be a huge influx of new developers whom never developed on the mac and will have everything to gain from the store. In the end Apple will still be Apple, reaping profits, and devaluing other platforms (MS, Chrome) for not having such a successful developer community / system, further encouraging the monopolizing schemes this company, and others will be "integrating".

One last thing... there is an upside. All Apps on the Mac App Store, will definitely need to stay relevant with Apple's quality to really succeed.
  • Reply 96 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

I think Apple will lose long time developers who might find the idea sickening, as some of us feel. Anyone who doesn't see this as a trojan horse deal and only as an "optional" source is drinking too much of the koolaid. I don't mean to sound like a sourpuss, I'm a Mac advocate.

It doesn't matter because for Apple it will still yield a great outcome. There will be a huge influx of new developers whom never developed on the mac and will have everything to gain from the store. In the end Apple will still be Apple, reaping profits, and devaluing other platforms (MS, Chrome) for not having such a successful developer community / system, further encouraging the monopolizing schemes this company, and others will be "integrating".

One last thing... there is an upside. All Apps on the Mac App Store, will definitely need to stay relevant with Apple's quality to really succeed.

With all due respect...do both. Use the Apple store and other avenues of retail. Then decide which is the most profitable. I think based on the iPhone App store, the consensus seems, even the major players see it as very successful.
  • Reply 97 of 174
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    When we get a sneak preview of the next iOS, they show us everything planned for the release. Mac OS X is usually treated the same way.

A Lion is supposed to be King of the Jungle. They should call this release Mac OS X Tabby Cat because it's even lamer than Snow Leopard was. I want to see the same innovation on the desktop as I'm seeing on mobile devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Hm, I really think this was mainly to show the new application store and get submissions rolling, and secondly to alert developers to make their desktop apps full screen ready, if they want to. They will not present everything they have in the pipeline some 9 months in advance... not with so many companies copying everything they do.

• Reply 98 of 174
    dickdick Posts: 7member
    I actually like the new OSX and iOS integration thing. It will work well, I'm sure of it. One thing I hope however, is that they keep the old spaces/expose. From the Demo, (which was only short) and from what I saw, you can only use 'spaces' with full screen apps. I sure hope that isn't the case.

Also, if you have more than 10 full screen apps open for instance, wouldn't it be difficult to navigate via only moving left/right instead of showing a grid view like the spaces on SL?

I like it, but I was hoping they would actually do the opposite. i.e. integrate more of OSX into iOS during the 4.0 release. I was desperately hoping for a UI update. We have pretty much has exactly the same UI for both OSX and iOS for the last 3 years. ;(
  • Reply 99 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

What would you prefer, the cost of packaging, shipping and stocking a box on a dusty shelf at CompUSA? And give CompUSA 60%-70% to CompUSA?

Or put it on the Apple store and start collecting checks?

Perhaps I'm missing something here!

Yes: almost no one buys software at CompUSA.

In fact, the number of apps purchased from any physical store vs download is way tiny, likely less than 1%.

So ROI comparisons with brick-and-morter are kinda silly in the 21st century. The real comparison is your web site vs. Apple's. Sure, they have more eyeballs, but they have so many eyeballs looking for so many things that reaching your target customer won't be much easier than it is now.

Anyone who thinks they won't have to do any marketing once the App Store opens for Mac doesn't ship software for a living, and hasn't even bothered to ask any of the 90% of current App Store developers making less than minimum wage there. Selling software is not a magic thing that only Apple can do. The exposure in the App Store will initially be a helpful addition, but as other online outlets dwindle over time (say goodbye to VersionTracker and MacUpdate) that'll level off. You'll be doing as much marketing as ever before if you're smart.

The main difference is that Mac software will come with a 30% tax. The only question is whether end users will pay it with higher prices, or developers will just give up a third of their bread so Steve can get fat.

After watching him today I can go either way. The man needs a burger.
  • Reply 100 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

In fact, the number of apps purchased from any physical store vs download is way tiny, likely less than 1%.

Evidence plz?