Apple introduces iLife '11 with updated versions of iPhoto, iMovie

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

...the ability to merge & consolidate libraries from different users & machines. Why can't they add this simple feature? Fuck slideshows and while I'm at it, fuck Garageband too. I hate Garageband.

Do we really need to use the bad language?

It just shows your childish mentality.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I have a 2 week old iMac. I seem to remember Apple giving free OS updates if you bought a new Mac within a certain time (a month I think) of a new OS being released. I bought it from MacMall, not Apple directly.

Anyone know if they do anything similar with iLife?
  • Reply 43 of 65
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

I have a 2 week old iMac. I seem to remember Apple giving free OS updates if you bought a new Mac within a certain time (a month I think) of a new OS being released. I bought it from MacMall, not Apple directly.

Anyone know if they do anything similar with iLife?

Found the answer on the MacRumors forums:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
  • Reply 44 of 65
    Honestly iWeb and iDVD were the weakest iLife apps, and they are not even bothering to update them. WTF?

Something is wrong with the iLife development cycle, if they take 2 years and can only update 3 of the apps.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Honestly iWeb and iDVD were the weakest iLife apps, and they are not even bothering to update them. WTF?

They didn?t update iDVD before, either. I thought they wouldn?t even include it on the disc/DMG, but I had also assumed iLife would have received a new app.

For iWeb maybe they just don?t see it as something that helps promote Mac sales and/or the cost to update is too high. or maybe they have major plans for iWeb for HTML5/CSS3/JS but it wasn?t ready, or that they are planning a Pro app to take advantage of that.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post

Astounding. I was ready to pony up cash if iWeb was updated. I wonder if this means they'll eventually be dropping it from the suite?

Here are the features the new version needs:

1. Blog updating of iWeb sites from any computer and any platform. Currently to update a blog I need to go home to my iMac with the entire website file and publish the website. Stupid. Other blog tools online allow content creation even when away from the machine.

2. Template converter. If I switch between designs using Apple-created template, my existing website gets bollixed up. That needs to change. Apple should be smart enough to have their software properly format the old content for the new template, without a ton of work tweaking the content to make it fit and look good.

3. New templates. Yeah, there are 3rd parties doing it. But no one has designs that look as sharp as Apples, at least that I've found. Plus, converting the old to new completely screws up my site (see #2, above). Too much work to covert.

4. Better control over site formatting. Currently if I want to change the width of a blog page, for example, I can do it with but it's not that easy. Also, it doesn't change the underlying template. They need to have an easy, intuitive way to make some of those alterations to the underlying template more easily.

5. Multiple domain name control. Currently MobileMe allows me to use one domain. that's it. I publish several sites to several domains. One hosted by Mobile Me and the rest hosted by GoDaddy. But I still want to use iWeb for those multiple sites and multiple domains. Currently Multisite for iWeb provides some workaround, but I need to quite iWeb, change sites, and come back in. Plus, MobileMe only allows one domain. If I wanted two sites published to MobileMe under two different domains. Forget it. Doesn't work.

Go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and tell them they need to update it with these features!

I know, I can buy some other website creation tool if I want, I can use some other blog tool, or I can use different hosting.. But I really like iWeb for its templates and its excellent integration with MobileMe and the iLife suite. I just want that improved a bit. Is that too much to ask of our dear Apple?

Apple is really falling behind here! This lack of attention to iWeb is serious grounds for dumping it's use as an app. I'm a big Apple fan, but only loyal to the product to the extent that is remains valid. iWeb seems to be lost in the corporate closets.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Damn! I was hoping for an iWeb update. I have a bunch of small webistes I need to redo and I was hoping to ditch wordpress for good. iWeb is almost there and so easy to use. Just needs a little TLC. Commom' Uncle Steve! Why the lump of coal in my x-mas stocking?
  • Reply 48 of 65
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannsh View Post

Well iLife 11 will not be in my future. I am still on a PowerPC. I am being left in the technology dust.

I'm running OS X 10.5 on my MacBook, minimum system for iLife 11 is 10.6.3 .
  • Reply 49 of 65
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I think they will release an updated version of iWeb as part of an updated MobileMe in the new year to try and encourage more people to subscribe to MobileMe. Create/store/publish a website using iWeb then host it using MobileMe. Makes more sense than keeping it in the iLife suite.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    piano lessons with garage band

how does that work?

do i need to get a usb piano?

do you pay extra for these or modules

anyone use this portion of garage band
  • Reply 51 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I think they will release an updated version of iWeb as part of an updated MobileMe in the new year to try and encourage more people to subscribe to MobileMe. Create/store/publish a website using iWeb then host it using MobileMe. Makes more sense than keeping it in the iLife suite.

I hope you are right and I also hope it is a way more powerful app able to deal with drag and drop HTML 5 with video and possibly interaction plus creation of iPhone, iPad and Mac versions on same site. iWeb Pro if you will.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    My FedEx tracking says iLife 11 will be here tomorrow! That is with the free shipping too!
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

piano lessons with garage band

how does that work?

do i need to get a usb piano?

do you pay extra for these or modules

anyone use this portion of garage band

Really neatly

Yes

No

Yes

Oh and don't forget you need a garage too
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Steve Jobs re: iMovie

B.S. The number one request has been high definition support.

-kpluck

Must have only been from people who didn't actually have it and didn't know it already had!
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can run FCP on one Mac at a time -- it checks the network for others running -- similar to MS Office apps..

Not in my experience...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They didn?t update iDVD before, either.

It now hasn't been touched since January 10, 2006. Just KILL IT, Apple. No one uses it anymore, it fricking sucks at converting (One core. ONE.), and the compression is worthless.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I think they are trying to put me to sleep on purpose.

Go back to Microsoft and you will never fall asleep with all the errors and viruses they have.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

When you plug in your camera and iPhoto opens, you should then quit iPhoto and open iMovie.

You can then import the video into iMovie. Don't import it in to iPhoto.

If you do import it into iPhoto you can still access it in iMovie, but I find it better to keep then separate.

That sucks. Many cameras - including the iPhone & iPod Touch - do both stills and video. Manually having to choose which application to import into is silly. iPhoto & iMovie should have a shared or integrated library. I'll see what the new version is like when it shows up, but I hope the line between managing assets from still cameras and video cameras has been blurred a lot.

I like where people are going with iWeb wish lists. Mobile Me and iWeb could make a really powerful web publishing team. I understand iWeb is designed for building fully stand-alone websites with no server support framework, but with a bit of work it could be much more.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope you are right and I also hope it is a way more powerful app able to deal with drag and drop HTML 5 with video and possibly interaction plus creation of iPhone, iPad and Mac versions on same site. iWeb Pro if you will.

Sadly I think it will probably stay very much the same if they do move it to MobileMe. The other app's in there are all consumer rather than pro app's and they don't seem to get updated that often. If you look at Apple's website they have dropped the date from iWeb so its neither iWeb09 nor iWeb11 it's now just iWeb.

I hope they do make an iWeb Pro version, either as a standalone app or part of iWork or even as part of an Apple alternative to Adobe Creative Suite.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Really neatly

Yes

No

Yes

Oh and don't forget you need a garage too

great--and yes i DO have a garage

now

i have two iMacs that came with ilife, so i can upgrade them

but i have two macbooks c2d that didn't

what iLife pack do i get

will the upgrade for the iMacs install the whole thing on my macbooks??

will i need two different "ilife pacs"
  • Reply 60 of 65
    I'm not sure you have to have a MIDI piano or keyboard to use the GB piano lessons. I assume the program can also detect note frequency through the mic. Otherwise, how would the guitar lessons work? You can't expect people who want to use that feature to have a MIDI guitar, right?