Apple previews Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, bringing iOS features 'Back to the Mac'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 174
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

What would increase sales is cheaper Macs, not higher software prices.

Yeah, because all the people buying cheap PCs spend a fortune on software and content... Most private PC owners I know do not have a single legally purchased application on their machines...
  • Reply 122 of 174
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Yeah, because all the people buying cheap PCs spend a fortune on software and content... Most private PC owners I know do not have a single legally purchased application on their machines...

I don't even know if I should dignify this post with a response, but here we go...

So let me get this straight. You think Mac developers want Apple to sell a few costly machines instead of a lot of cheap ones. I guess that's where Apple went wrong with the iPad. They SHOULD have sold half as many for twice as much, cornering the people-with-more-money-than-sense market!

Yea, that's the ticket!

Seriously, how stupid do you have to make yourself before you can believe your posts?
  • Reply 123 of 174
    Wow they better include more features or decrease the price, I think I'm more excited about office 2011 at this rate (due to my strong dislike of 2008).
  • Reply 124 of 174
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

For apps sold through the Apple Store, the developer gets 70% of a lot. Selling these same apps through their own websites, they got 100% of a little. Oh, pray tell when will Apple stop? Helping developers dramatically increase their earnings. It's downright evil!

He was joking. Didn't you see the Title for his post?
  • Reply 125 of 174
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You missed his point. Most people don't know about mac update. There's already an app store for the mac too, although I can't think of the name right now. A pre installed app store from Apple would be seen by all mac users, allowing developers to reach a broader audience, while still allowing for distribution through other channels.

The app store isn't much better for finding apps either, unless you are top 10 the app is buried somewhere, to be found if you really know about it.
  • Reply 126 of 174
    The road to the Mac App Store is the natural outcome of the original iPhone (later iPod and iPad) App Store. Think of all the non- or new-Mac users who have been using the iOS App Store for months or years, and are just now getting into the Mac game as a result of the halo effect. These consumers have had this experience and (AFAIK) the number show how popular it is.

Migrating this to the Mac will benefit all users because it will be a nice one-stop shopping area for all those great indie apps that do one or two things very well. As a result I see a huge increase in exposure, and consequently sales for these devs. The only way many of us hear about these apps is through MacUpdate, the various Mac-centric blogs (such as Apple Insider, TUAW, AppStorm), or by seeing them on Apple's Downloads page.

However, the group of people comprising the above set is probably fewer than 20% of all Mac users. How does the other 80% find out about these things? They simply don't. And now along comes a way for these apps to gain a larger audience, which (even at 70%) means greater net income.

The only group I see losing are those who sponsor the periodic bundles (Mac Heist, etc.) because the developers get a very small percentage of the revenue from such bundles.
  • Reply 127 of 174
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

I am not sure you can blame it on cheap PC's. I know PC users that may not have legally purchased software. They own Mac's too. I am sure they stole for the PC and bought for the more expensive Mac.
  • Reply 128 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

He was joking. Didn't you see the Title for his post?

I might be mistaken, but I believe it is you who missed the reference of his title (that Apple's App Store offer is a joke).
  • Reply 129 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

The app store isn't much better for finding apps either, unless you are top 10 the app is buried somewhere, to be found if you really know about it.

+1

I'm also getting a bit tired of the iPhone comparison given that iPhone users have NO CHOICE as to how they find and install apps.

The only meaningful comparisons are policy ones, like app rejection (not to mention ex post rejection), annual fees, lack of promotion in the fees, and lots of apps that never get any notice until the developer spends MORE of his time and money to advertise. Considering the HASSLE Apple makes you go through as a DEVELOPER, the fees are laughable. Apple developers already have to deal with enough hassle as it is without having to compete against an app store.

It all starts to make brick and mortar software boxing sound like a bargain in comparison. What, we pay 50% AND they promote the product? Where so I sign up?

It would be great if Apple's aim was to promote Mac software and not try to corner the Mac software retail market for a few more $$$ in the short term. I'm not saying they should do it for free (although it may benefit them to do so!) but 30%? 7% would be reasonable even given the burden of their policies.

Any Mac developer who has already setup a payment system will be shaking their head. Who is this designed for again?

If anyone here is looking forward to paying Apple 30% of their revenues, please chime in. I'm all ears!
  • Reply 130 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

I don't even know if I should dignify this post with a response, but here we go...

So let me get this straight. You think Mac developers want Apple to sell a few costly machines instead of a lot of cheap ones. I guess that's where Apple went wrong with the iPad. They SHOULD have sold half as many for twice as much, cornering the people-with-more-money-than-sense market!

Yea, that's the ticket!

Seriously, how stupid do you have to make yourself before you can believe your posts?

No, I think developers (no matter for which platform) should not bother with hardware pricing. If they do not like it, they should make hardware.

You made the case that people would spend more money on software, if the hardware was cheaper. And you question my logic? You are sure funny.

Yes sure. People buying $10 MP3 players buy more records than people buying iPods. People buying 17" HP laptops weighing 8-10 lbs costing $650 max. will spend big time for software packages... Needless to say: this is bunk.

I do not know your Web site and sales channels, but they would have to be exceptional to get anywhere close to the reputation that Apple enjoys. People who happily enter their credit card data into something operated by Apple, might choose otherwise, if the site is operated by a nobody (not meant offensively), actually they have more than 130 million active users with credit card data on file. People do impulse buys on the Apple stores, because there is a general amount of trust. Heck, people even buy third party stuff on the Apple store for sometimes 10-20% more than the average retail price and still feel happy about it. Does this always make sense? No, it does not. But that's reality. Being able to participate is a good thing, and every developer with some business sense will.
  • Reply 131 of 174
    Awesome... desktop icons and the equivalent of a start menu! It's like Windows 95 only more modern looking!
  • Reply 132 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I am not sure you can blame it on cheap PC's. I know PC users that may not have legally purchased software. They own Mac's too. I am sure they stole for the PC and bought for the more expensive Mac.

You are right, and I did not really "blame" the cheap PCs, this would make little sense, or even be arrogant: there are people who simply could not afford a Mac, or a better PC. I guess what I meant was people being in the position to afford a lot of things, but being cheap, or not willing to appreciate other people's work enough to pay for it.

I do have some friends who do shareware for both (Mac and PC) and their experiences are interesting: while the software downloads are roughly 80:20 (in favor of the PC), the registration (payment) ratio is more like 5:95... and their software is not refusing to work after the trial period, so it should be fair to assume that quite some PC users are continuing to use the software without paying. Mac users (at large) seem to have a different mindset...
  • Reply 133 of 174
    Quote:

You made the case that people would spend more money on software, if the hardware was cheaper. And you question my logic? You are sure funny.

No, I said more people would buy Macs. Nice try trying to twist my words, though.
  • Reply 134 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Exactly.. it's nerve wracking to know that a room full of people, plus millions online, are watching you demo something.

Which is more frightening: giving a presentation in front of millions of people, or giving a presentation in front of Steve Jobs?

Quote:

An Apple employee told Valleywag what it's like to work with Steve roaming the halls:

"No one greets him or says hi to him. Low ranking employees are afraid of him. I remember him walking around the campus one time and groups of people in his way would just split and let him walk through."

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-return-2009-8
  • Reply 135 of 174
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

For apps sold through the Apple Store, the developer gets 70% of a lot. Selling these same apps through their own websites, they got 100% of a little. Oh, pray tell when will Apple stop? Helping developers dramatically increase their earnings. It's downright evil!

What's so pathetic is Apple is offering more choice on how to get apps on your Mac and these chicken littles are running around like the sky is falling.

Some people are so allergic to change or advancement it's amazing the human race was able to exit the dark ages (but explains why we had a dark ages in the first place).
  • Reply 136 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

It's not a problem. Apps are cumbersome. One app for every platform. The future is web based apps. The whole apple wall garden will come tumbling down then.

Not gonna happen.

This same argument was trotted out in the mid 90's when the web first spawned. It hasn't happened so far and it won't happen any time soon.

The web is the equivalent of the VT100 terminal compared to where modern applications are. There are tons of things that work work well on the web, but just as many if not more that don't.

Reliance on technologies like flash just underscore how immature and incomplete the web is and why native applications are in no danger of being replaced on any platform any time soon.
  • Reply 137 of 174
    Quote:

It seems they have again missed to provide a "try before you buy" mechanism... Without that, expensive software will be a non-starter on this platform for a lot of people.

I hope not. This is one huge thing Microsoft got right with the Arcade on Xbox live - every app in the arcade must have a demo version.

Frankly I'm shocked Apple has taken this long to address it in the iOS - hopefully they will address it before shipping the Mac OSX app store...
  • Reply 138 of 174
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Having also recently purchased a second screen to use with my MacBook I would be curious to see how the full screen thing will work in that context.

When I maximise does it maximise on the current screen, or the primary display. When I enter Mission Control, how do I flick between running full screen apps? What if I have (if it happens to work out this way) a full screen app on my Dell display (sorry I said it) and another on my notebook LCD.

If they don't do this right, it could get messy.
  • Reply 139 of 174
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mac App Store = NOT THE ONLY WY TO GET APPS ON

THE MAC!!!!!

Why not?

It is great to know that there is only one place to look for software.

And because it would be curated, only GREAT software would be available. Nobody would be able to ruin their User Experience.

As of now, lousy software can be installed, and everybody is bothering Apple Care and wasting Apple's money. Everybody thinks that their Mac is no good, but in reality, it is all the lousy software.

The User Experience is too important to allow users to install any old crap they want, willy nilly. We need an App Store to cure all the horrible problems caused by software not sold by Apple.

It works GREAT with iOS. It would be MUCH BETTER with OS X.
  • Reply 140 of 174
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Now I have to share profits of my software with Apple. Steve you just lost your mind. As a developer of software if I have to share revenue with Apple on software I write for the Mac, I'll just pass the cost to the user and/or stop developing for the Mac.

Likely you don't realize it, but Apple gives Billions of Dollars to developers from the App Store. The App Store model has allowed the finest developers to quickly rise to the top, each one making literally millions of dollars.

If you don't think you can compete in an App Store environment, then develop for Android. HA!