First Look: Apple's new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Personally, I have zero interest in a touch screen Mac. I think it would be a terrible idea unless the form factor is completely revamped to make more ergonomic sense.

Totally agree. I'd go so far as to say, even if they did that latter part, us mouse users would still out-use them.
  • Reply 62 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree about the app store for the Mac being a great idea. I just don't like the UI alterations to hobble the Mac with a more iOS looking interface. Makes no sense for professionals and experienced Mac users, but it will make the noobs more comfortable. Getting a bad feeling with this looming update.

I can see why you'd think that, but how else do you do a home screen on the Mac? Which is probably needed when you have a App Store experience.

The thing I find really confusing -besides M.C. - is having both a dock and the launcher around together. Why should the dock exist when there's a launcher? Not that I dislike the dock, it's just confusing. The dock is a launcher, so why do we need two launchers?
  • Reply 63 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

The proverbial "you" that is.

I find it interesting that so many here have criticized the implementation the new more iOS style features as being useless, since they don't work for them.

In fact, I think the interesting thing about these ideas is that they're totally voluntary. If you don't want to use mission control- DON'T. If you don't want to buy apps through the appStore- DON'T. If launchpad seems like a Mickey Mouse way to view your applications- DON'T USE IT!

Keep using your mac the way you are. Buy your software how you want.

I think what Apple might have tweaked onto over the last 4 years since the iPhone came out, is that there is a GREAT MANY people who still feel daunted by the average computer experience. Anyone who finds themselves acting as impromptu tech support for friends and family can attest to this fact. "Where are my files?". "What do you mean it didn't save?". Moreover, the success of the iPad for people who've never used a computer before only further illustrates that we still haven't reached the intuitive and consumer oriented paradigm that probably 80% of people are looking for.

So imagine the benefits for Apple if they can bring a truly accessible OS to market. An OS that services people of DIFFERENT skill levels. For those who want a simple and clean experience, the layer is there to make personal computing a pleasant and less frustrating one, but if you're in a pro oriented field, or have the depth of knowledge and want to dig deeper, the more traditional paradigm is there. This could mean a HUGE opportunity for Apple to seize market-share from a group that's looking for a decidedly non-techie computing experience.

it's very much a parallel to the comments I see about the Air. People in various groups decrying the machines deficiencies- when they're not deficiencies! It's called specialization! As a pro editor, the Air ain't for me. But I can certainly imagine a group looking for an ultralight portable that's NOT a netbook; with a nice display and full size keyboard. It's not for 3D animation. It's not for a video pro like myself. It's probably not the world's best gaming machine. It is what it is, and if what it is ain't for you, that's not the Air's problem, and it shouldn't be yours!

Excellent post.
  • Reply 64 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How would you hold it?

You wouldn't, it would be on a stand. I keep seeing a large screen lying down like a keyboard and able to run Final Cut etc. I agree it needs to be almost horizontal. Imagine one large enough to display a piano keyboard!
  • Reply 65 of 167
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotek2001 View Post

Uh, yes... During the video SJ said it's a shame they didn't have an hour and a half more to show off all the other great things coming in Lion.

Actually, what he said was that he wished he had time to "show more". This could have meant simply going into greater detail for the features they quickly went through during the demo.

He the ends this part by saying Lion is due of the summer of 2011 and then says, "So that is OS X Lion."

In short, based on what he said, there is no way to tell if other major features will be included in Lion or if he touched on all of them but just didn't go into detail. It is not a stretch to think that Apple may go the same way with Lion that they did with Snow Leopard, a low priced OS upgrade with not a lot of new features.

Personally, I don't think Apple will ever have another major updates to OS X. From here on out the push will be to convert their computers over to the iOS platform.

-kpluck
  • Reply 66 of 167
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I chuckled at the full screen apps thing.

This all seems very impressive and sensible of Apple though. I'm impressed. Too bad I just bought a house and can't justify buying any of these new toys
  • Reply 67 of 167
    Quote:

Expanded multitouch gestures (albeit centered on the trackpad rather than attempting to use a vertical multitouch screen, something the company flatly said it research has colluded "does not work")

HP has a touchscreen desktop computer and it's amazing. I am shocked Apple has decided to not follow HP into this segment.

I spoke to the only guy whp owns one in Florida and he says he loves it, and would buy another one if he could only find it.
  • Reply 68 of 167
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Actually, what he said was that he wished he had time to "show more". This could have meant simply going into greater detail for the features they quickly went through during the demo.

He the ends this part by saying Lion is due of the summer of 2011 and then says, "So that is OS X Lion."

In short, based on what he said, there is no way to tell if other major features will be included in Lion or if he touched on all of them but just didn't go into detail. It is not a stretch to think that Apple may go the same way with Lion that they did with Snow Leopard, a low priced OS upgrade with not a lot of new features.

Personally, I don't think Apple will ever have another major updates to OS X. From here on out the push will be to convert their computers over to the iOS platform.

-kpluck

Well even if they didn't have time to go over everything at this event, there's nothing stopping them from posting detailed documentation online. I think you're correct in your assessment.
  • Reply 69 of 167
    Quote:

No. It should auto-hide when viewing the iPad-style home screen. With perhaps text reading: "press esc key to exit". And arrows for viewing other home screens. It's nice to have gestures, but no one wants to be forced to use them.

I am all for user options ... That's what prefs are for. So why not give the option to have it your way or another way? That seems reasonable wouldn't you agree?
  • Reply 70 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well even if they didn't have time to go over everything at this event, there's nothing stopping them from posting detailed documentation online. I think you're correct in your assessment.

I am sure the developers will get to see far more very soon and then it will start to leak out.
  • Reply 71 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I chuckled at the full screen apps thing.

This all seems very impressive and sensible of Apple though. I'm impressed. Too bad I just bought a house and can't justify buying any of these new toys

OMG a house buyer? I thought you were all extinct!
  • Reply 72 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

The proverbial "you" that is.

I find it interesting that so many here have criticized the implementation the new more iOS style features as being useless, since they don't work for them.

In fact, I think the interesting thing about these ideas is that they're totally voluntary. If you don't want to use mission control- DON'T. If you don't want to buy apps through the appStore- DON'T. If launchpad seems like a Mickey Mouse way to view your applications- DON'T USE IT!

Keep using your mac the way you are. Buy your software how you want.!

This sounds great, but I do have a question. I like Exposé the way it is right now, but how can I avoid using the Mission Control mess since in Lion Exposé basically IS the Mission Control?
  • Reply 73 of 167
    Did anyone else notice during the Lion demo that the Dock no longer had glowing circles beneath the icons of running apps (even Finder)?

I figure that it probably has something to do with the automatic application suspend/resume behavior that they're bringing in from iOS. Maybe the definition of a "running" app in MacOS X will change.
  • Reply 74 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

This sounds great, but I do have a question. I like Exposé the way it is right now, but how can I avoid using the Mission Control mess since in Lion Exposé basically IS the Mission Control?

mmm ... Don't upgrade? But seriously it may not be a mess on release. I think it was made to look worse that it maybe was by a very nervous presenter. There will be key combos to do the same as the swipes too no doubt.
  • Reply 75 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrosheep View Post

Did anyone else notice during the Lion demo that the Dock no longer had glowing circles beneath the icons of running apps (even Finder)?

I figure that it probably has something to do with the automatic application suspend/resume behavior that they're bringing in from iOS. Maybe the definition of a "running" app in MacOS X will change.

Nope, I missed that.
  • Reply 76 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

[Mission Control] Horrible name - are they getting their kids to name these now?

Everything about it including the name is horrible.
  • Reply 77 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am all for user options ... That's what prefs are for. So why not give the option to have it your way or another way? That seems reasonable wouldn't you agree?

No. Do it right or don't bother. Settings are what makes things confusing.
  • Reply 78 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrosheep View Post

That 's one of the good ideas.
  • Reply 79 of 167
    Quote:

Everything about it including the name is horrible.

I really didn't feel we saw enough to be totally dogmatic and as I said before the poor guy was shaking so hard he could hardly use a track pad so it was a terrible demo. We have no idea what level of customization will be available by release date either. So not sure what the point is in being completely entrenched for or against at present.
  • Reply 80 of 167
    Quote:

No. Do it right or don't bother. Settings are what makes things confusing.

LOL, I guess you are a dogmatic mood tonight! Ireland's way or the highway! To hell with anyone else's opinions or desires.

TG FCPro has lots of user settings, they save me hours as i can work they way i like to.

No discussion possible with that attitude. I'll be off to the pub