Mossberg reviews, recommends Office for Mac 2011

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayShades View Post

Not accurate. MS Excel 2011 has Pivot Tables; see Mactopia. Read the last paragraph.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsftMacMan View Post

Excel on the Mac DOES have pivot tables... and I don't think you can say the pricing is a rip off (well you can say it - but it's not a very reasonable view...

Yeah, as I noted in the first quote above.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

You know what hasn't changed? The apps taking 2 minutes to open if you have a lot of fonts on your machine.

Every time you launch an Office app, it has to go through all of your fonts to make sure none of them are corrupt. Isn't that nice of them? I mean, no other Mac software has to do that but Microsoft felt that they had to.

It has done that since at least Office '98. It drove me nuts then and it drives me nuts now, and it's one of the main reasons why I don't buy a copy for use at home. I'm in Graphic Design and my fonts change frequently, so thanks for thinking of that Microsoft!
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:

You know what hasn't changed? The apps taking 2 minutes to open if you have a lot of fonts on your machine.

Every time you launch an Office app, it has to go through all of your fonts to make sure none of them are corrupt. Isn't that nice of them? I mean, no other Mac software has to do that but Microsoft felt that they had to.

Good point!

Though I haven't tried the Mac Office 2011 yet, one of my complaints about all the MS Office for Mac suites on OS X (v.x, 2004, 2008) is they open W..A..Y.. slower than the PC versions.

On my Windows XP PC, an older one with a P4 cpu, it takes about 3 to 5 seconds for Word (2003) to open and be usable.

On the Mac, it always seems to me that Microsoft has inserted a Slow-The-Mac-Office-Startup routine since it is so much slower, taking anywhere from just shy of a minute to significantly longer. (Depending on which model of Mac... )

Got to the point that I always preferred and trained myself to open one of my text editors rather than MS Word. I would type most of my thoughts and data into the text editor, do basic formatting, and then only open it into MS Word when I needed font and table formatting and saving/sharing/printing.

Sigh.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Walter Mossberg recommends I should invest my hard earned money on Microsoft Office?

I suggest Walter Mossberg should temper his heroin addiction with some crack.

Absolutely, but then again Walt's not the sharpest tool in the box either. Nice to see MS finally porting Outlook about 7 years too late... amazing that they have the balls to advertise a clunky mail client from 2003 as a bullet feature, but more impressive is that Walt is excited about it! Finally another reason to bolster the lazy and inept attitudes of IT types and beat the dead horse that is Exchange server for a few more pathetic laps around the ole track.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

...Finally another reason to bolster the lazy and inept attitudes of IT types and beat the dead horse that is Exchange server for a few more pathetic laps around the ole track.

This reminds me of the several lists of How to Beat (or Ride) a Dead Horse that I encountered in my many years working in corporate IT/MIS departments.

(the "MIS" will show how far back that stretches... )

They were funny, though sadly too true also.

Anyway, in my own experience, most of the PC using corporations were on Exchange (or Lotus Notes in one... ). So while we acknowledge this inclusion in MS Office Mac 2011 is definitely not spiffy, it does help to make it onto the list of compatible products which may make it easier to sell more Macs into the corporations.

(always looking for the upside... )

It would be nice if the magazine reviewers would be more willing to highlight the shortcomings as well as gushing over the likes.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Walt really knows how to raise hell with Geek Squad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEdQ6FS7R0g
  • Reply 47 of 52
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Walt Mossberg concluded that it was "by far the best Mac version of the suite" and recommended it to users.

Alas! I can only second this. God did I try hard to keep off MS' products on Mac.

Boom! I need Solver. I do need it bad. I trashed weekends to figure out any possible replacement for the Numbers. ``Theirs no resemblance at all.' ' Nothing but endless PITA with complex work-arounds...

Its stone axe for caveman, Apple, which your fabricating with 0.15 man*year allocated onto iWork. Bad, Apple, bad. Shame on you.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    For collaboration, Google docs exceeds both iWork and Office packages. Nothing beats having only one document online to get confused about.

The only argument for buying MS Office for Mac would be full compability between Mac/PC versions. I have VmWare and MS Office 2010 installed solely for this purpose.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Token View Post

For collaboration, Google docs exceeds both iWork and Office packages. Nothing beats having only one document online to get confused about.

The only argument for buying MS Office for Mac would be full compability between Mac/PC versions. I have VmWare and MS Office 2010 installed solely for this purpose.

I have the same setup (VMware and MS Office 2010). It does let me work well in both environments.

I only use Google for their Map functions these days. My email account was hacked nearly two years ago and it resulted in some major hassles for me. To make matters worse, Google permanently locked my own account, preventing me access to years and years worth of personal correspondence.

I will never trust Goggle again, but that's me.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Unless you work in a corporate office, I don't see the point of buying MS Office 2011.

There are multiple word processing and spreadsheet options now, and Access isn't part of the Mac suite.

That leaves only Outlook to make the difference. And Entourage at least brought Project Management capabilities to the table, to justify paying for the thing. Outlook doesn't even have that, or the CRM/Business Contact module available on the Windows side.

So why would you pay for this?

I'm sure there's a great feature here or there, but overall I think the $300. is better spent on something else.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:

I do find it nice that Microsoft will check my fonts for me. Just last week it let me know that I had two copies of Arial installed and asked if I wanted a cup of tea as it disabled the duplicates for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

That is not true with the Beta. All of the apps open in seconds, even on my 2.4 GHz MBP with 4 GB of RAM

Office 2011 opens in seconds on my two-year-old machine. People must have some seriously crappy machines if it's taking a minute or longer to open Office 2011, or they just like exaggerating because hating on Microsoft has been the trendy thing for a while now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Unless you work in a corporate office, I don't see the point of buying MS Office 2011.

There are multiple word processing and spreadsheet options now, and Access isn't part of the Mac suite.

So why would you pay for this?

Because Numbers is a pathetic piece of crap compared to Excel, that's why. There is nothing that even compares to Excel on the Mac. Keynote is better than PowerPoint and I find Pages just as capable as Word, but anyone who does any serious spreadsheet work wouldn't touch Numbers with a 10-foot pole.
  • Reply 52 of 52

I'm new to Macs and recently installed Office 2011 on my laptop. I really like it so far. I was able to find it at a very reasonable price here:

http://macofficestore.shop.rakuten.com/