Apple intros 2.8GHz MacBook Pro, issues MacBook Air, Aperture, ProKit updates

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday introduced a new build-to-order option for MacBook Pros that lets users configure the systems with a faster Core i7 processor and also released software updates for the new MacBook Air, Aperture, Java, and Pro Kit.

MacBook Pro

Buried by the unveiling of the new 11.6- and 13.3-inch MacBook Airs was a quiet update to Apple's professional notebooks that will let customers custom-configure the machines with even faster Core i7 processors.

For an additional $200, customers can upgrade the high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro to a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 processor from a 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 chip. The same upgrade is also available for the sole 2.53GHz 17-inch model for a $400 premium. An upgrade on that model to a 2.66GHz Core i7 remains, priced at $200.

With these options arriving at the close of Wednesday's Back to the Mac event, it appears that Apple's 2010 notebook line -- and Mac product family as a whole -- is now set in stone for the holiday shopping season, meaning no further hardware updates are likely until next year.

MacBook Air software update

In addition, Apple on Wednesday released a number of software updates related to the release of the new MacBook Air models, as well as the iLife '11 suite. Those who pick up the newly released MacBook Air have Software Update 1.0, a 368KB download, already available for them.

The update resolves an issue where the system becomes unresponsive while playing a movie trailer in iMovie. It also fixes a problem where the system becomes unresponsive after waking from sleep when an external display is connected. It is recommended for all late-2010 MacBook Air models.

Aperture 3.1

Apple also released Aperture 3.1, a 357.55MB update that improves overall stability and performance, and also addresses compatibility with the newly release iLife '11 suite. Fixes apply to the following extensive list of areas:

Performance when opening large libraries

Performance when exporting heavily-adjusted images

Importing iPhoto Libraries

Relinking to referenced images after importing an iPhoto Library

Importing photos and videos from iPhone or iPad

Upgrading libraries with images containing Spot & Patch adjustments

Duplicate detection of audio and video files

Face detection on RAW+JPEG pairs

Rendering of thumbnails used in Faces view

Rendering of images scaled to below 100% in Viewer

Image quality on straightened images

Applying Red Eye correction

Rendering thumbnails when reprocessing masters

Searching libraries containing a large number of keywords

Applying photos to GPS track paths

Export of GPS data when using Export Metadata command

Handling of color profiles in Print dialog when using Loupe

Applying and removing slideshow Photo Effects

Slideshows containing video clips

Tethered capture

Library database reliability

Library repair

Updating vaults

ProKit 6.0 (Snow Leopard)

Apple on Wednesday also issued ProKit 6.0 for Snow Leopard. The 13.5MB update fixes issues with interface software that is shared by Apple's professional applications, including:

Improves reliability for browsing iPhoto libraries in Aperture.

Addresses cosmetic issue with appearance of disclosure triangles in Aperture.

Fixes a problem in Logic Pro and MainStage where numeric parameters display incorrect information.

The update is recommended for all users of Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Final Cut Express, Soundtrack, Logic Studio, Logic Pro, MainStage, WaveBurner and Logic Express.

Java updates

Finally, a pair of Java updates were also released Wednesday. Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3 is a 74.30MB update for Snow Leopard users. It delivers improved compatibility, security and reliability by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_22.

The same update is also available to users of Leopard with Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 8. The 119.07MB file updates J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_26. JSE 1.4.2 is no longer being updated to fix bugs or security issues, and remains disabled by default in the latest update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    A little bummed on the Macbook Pro bump, would really love a graphics bump as well, and thinking that with this that it will be until next year.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    An update of the 13" macbook pro would have been nice.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grandinetti View Post

At least with the 1440x900 screen. That's not too much to ask.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grandinetti View Post

Mine has the 2.66GHz and is already plenty fast (esp. when starting and running the Parallels-Windblows VM). But, yes, always nice to have more head-room for time consuming tasks.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

A little bummed on the Macbook Pro bump, would really love a graphics bump as well, and thinking that with this that it will be until next year.

I am bummed Apple won't allow a Blu-Ray BTO option. updated graphics chip also.

Apple is making what they want, instead of giving a wide amount of options their consumers want.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

I am bummed Apple won't allow a Blu-Ray BTO option.

PUT YOUR OWN FRICKING DRIVE IN THE COMPUTER. Any BTO that Apple would offer would be hundreds of dollars and you'd complain about it anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Applying photos to GPS track paths

I hope this fixes the annoying Daylight Savings Time bug...now that DST is over in a couple weeks... \
  • Reply 8 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Crap I just bought the top of the line i7 MBP ... or thought I had! Oh well that's progress for you.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Given that Intel's September price list shows 2.53GHz processors at a lower price than the 2.4s and new 2.66s priced lower than the old 2.53s I was sure Apple was going to do a small speed bump across the entire MacBook lineup.

It's disappointing that the only change to the full size MacBook line was a cash grab from high end customers.

Of course boosting the speed of the MacBooks would have made the performance gap between them and the Air even bigger and that might have taken a bit of shine off today's new hardware announcement.

Am I the only one who sat there watching today's live stream wondering when it was going to get interesting? I honestly can't remember a Steve Jobs dog and pony show as boring as the one he and his team put on today.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

I am bummed Apple won't allow a Blu-Ray BTO option. updated graphics chip also.

Apple is making what they want, instead of giving a wide amount of options their consumers want.

Their business model seems to work pretty darn good. I'ld say the HP, Dell etc would kill to be in Apple's shoes...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

PUT YOUR OWN FRICKING DRIVE IN THE COMPUTER. Any BTO that Apple would offer would be hundreds of dollars and you'd complain about it anyway.

They do not have an internal Bluray drive for any Mac laptop so their concern is actually valid. There are only internal ones for the MacPro and USB Bluray drives.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    How about a 256GB Flash-on-the-motherboard upgrade for the 17" MacBook Pro so it can use a Quad-Core i7???
  • Reply 13 of 14
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Great to see Apple is serious about Aperture 3, well pleased. Makes a change from the poor updates of version 2. Would be nice to support Sigma RAW .
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

They do not have an internal Bluray drive for any Mac laptop so their concern is actually valid. There are only internal ones for the MacPro and USB Bluray drives.

Your pronouns don't seem to refer to anything. 9.5mm slot-load Blu-ray drives exist.