Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Name three.

Why don't you name one that doesn't?

With all your real life developer/publisher experience it should be trivial
  • Reply 82 of 175
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's not going to be a big deal for the larger companies but what they need to beware of is the smaller indie playing David to their Goliath.

Yup - it's a huge game changer and levels the playing field dramatically for not just newcomers, but established players as well.

I can see seasoned developers like the Omni Group all over this, as well as plenty of new developers.

Including new to the Mac developers that were previously only iOS developers. Don't think this little tidbit is lost on Apple in the least.
  • Reply 83 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You know what might be cool-- if Apple allowed some of the medium to large developers to have their own sort of "store within a store" at the App Store. Kind of like what Best Buy has for Apple.

So you could go on over to the Omni Store or the Rogue Amoeba Store in the App Store and take a look at all they have to offer, along with maybe some extra info about the company and their philosophy and an extra bit of branding chrome, without having to click a bunch of separate icons.
  • Reply 84 of 175
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know what might be cool-- if Apple allowed some of the medium to large developers to have their own sort of "store within a store" at the App Store. Kind of like what Best Buy has for Apple.

So you could go on over to the Omni Store or the Rogue Amoeba Store in the App Store and take a look at all they have to offer, along with maybe some extra info about the company and their philosophy and an extra bit of branding chrome, without having to click a bunch of separate icons.

I think that's a great idea. Customers will develop a following for the publishers they like.

And I can see Apple display the Adobe store in Flash only.
  • Reply 85 of 175
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Apple is going too far with their guidelines. But they will no doubt adjust that to how far the thing will fly.
  • Reply 86 of 175
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    If I'm a troll I'd say "yet another censored store " but since I'm not I just say "thank God it's not the only way to get applications ".
  • Reply 87 of 175

Folks, we are on the verge of a HUGE Apple increase to the un-washed masses

THAT will change the "Apple/Mac" experience as most of us have known it

Sorry, but that is the Reality before us

Will bet the mortgage most everyone who reads this has been involved with Apple/Mac for many years. We've been that "less that 10%" of the computers out there all this time, and it has been a Great Time and Experience for us all.

For example - when we needed to check out new software, simply visit VersionTracker, or in recent years MacUpdate. If we wanted to catch up on the News, we came here to AppleInsider or MacSurfer. Were only a few sites we needed to "know" and we all pretty much knew one another, and reputations were easy to follow - along with the software as it was developed. If/when someone tried to pull a pile of b.s. on the Apple/Mac Family and Community? We all knew about it pretty quick and word got around fast.

Well, those days are almost gone.

Now VersionTracker is owned by Someone who's owned by CBS/Viacom. One of the original Mac Web Guys, Stan at MacMinute, died couple of years ago. Ted Landau is somewhere, retired no doubt. On and on. Are some other names of ol' timers I'd have to dig around to remember, sorry - but you should get the idea.

Is a "New World" we the Apple/Mac Family are about to move into. Now the Entire World is about to discover what we've known for years.

And the few reliable sites we've come to rely on will probably get lost in the shuffle, noise and commotion, then be like the Windows Sites for Software and News already out there now - and be honest about them. Name one of those you know you can trust to be on the up and up, and when you read a review of some new Software as posted on that site, is it a 'plant' or someone with an axe to grind, etc ? And with 100,000 hits/reviews how can we sort the shit from the shineola?

Yes, AppleInsider, et al - will still have Great Reputations and get our business. But we're that small minority, that less than 10%. Once the rest of the Planet gets on the Bandwagon, will probably be a multitude of other Apple News Sites pop up - all claiming to be the 'best' - and the tourists will gather round. Hell, they bought into Windows easy enough in the first place, merely because they're now coming to Mac doesn't mean they're really any smarter, just late to the party.

We'll see about the new Mac App Store - and the new "direction" for the Future as we all go "back to the Mac" - but if it's at all like the iPhone/Pad Store, then it will probably be just fine for the Future that's coming, and coming fast.

Apple/Steve and Crew have done pretty good so far, let's grant the benefit of the doubt that what they're now trying to create will work fine for the Billions and Billions of new users about to join us.

(all that sorta make sense?)

• Reply 88 of 175
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    say hello to the bloated future of the mac
  • Reply 89 of 175
    Also app store on a computer, do people not realise that this has been available on linux like forever and all the software is frrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

This is clearly an attack on the browser. The first thing developers will do is create a native version of their web apps. All about trying to kick google ads off the mac as much as possible by making popular services available as apps with iAd included. Clever but completely the wrong direction.
  • Reply 90 of 175
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    ``When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.' '

• Reply 91 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Were the guidelines written specifically to keep Microsoft out?

The "No Bugs" clause will take care of that.
  • Reply 92 of 175
    The marketing geniuses are at it again!!!!

Thank God for brilliant marketing people!!!!!

Quote:

Now we are thrilled to be opening our new Mac App Store to the hundreds of thousands of Mac developers and tens of millions of Mac users around the world

I don't have Apple's sales figures, so let's just take some median numbers, shall we??? Let's let "hundreds of thousands" of Mac developers be equal to 500,000, and let's let "tens of millions" of Mac users be equal to 50,000,000.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that each one of these 50,000,000 buyers goes out and buys 1 application from each of these 500,000 developers. That equates to:

50,000,000/500,000=100 copies sold. By God...your rich!!!

After years of development, you can expect to make the following, based on these figures:

Cost of Product/Net income:

$10.00/$1000.00

$20.00/$2000.00

$100.00/$20,000.00

$500.00/$50,000.00

We can, of course, play a "fun with numbers" game, as in company A has 20 developers, sells 10,000 units at $100.00 a piece, whereas companies Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z have 2 or less developers and sell a grand total of 0 (zero) products (I'll let you do the math for this disaster).

Sarcasm aside, there are a fair number of companies that simply cannot comply with these standards. For example, companies that make utilities like "Disk Warrior" or "Tech Tools Pro" need access to admin level permissions, and reading the standards, they're excluded.

Being excluded from a "sales list" like this could be interpreted as a "mark of inferiority." Oh, really???? So the guy developing software that makes f*rting sounds is perfectly welcome, but those making advanced diagnostic tools aren't???? (As an FYI, there were two companies developing f*rting sound software for the iPhone that got into a lawsuit over this "high tech" stuff).

Mr. Jobs and his team of "marketing geniuses" have deluded themselves into believing the computer is nothing more than a two bit gadget. He made such a comment about the iPad stating "it's all anyone needed."
    • Mail: Yes

• Movies: Yes

• F*rting Sound Software: Why, of course

• Find the nearest bar: Certainly

• Imaging for cancer screening: Don't be ridiculous, silly rabbit

• Calculating Fourier Series/Transforms for interference problems: Don't be ridiculous...interference problems don't exist, especially on iPhones

• Financial Calculations: Naaahhh...trust the guys on Wall Street to analyze everything for you, they know what they're doing!!!!

The "store" looks like it's a bad idea, a really, really bad idea, and clearly, in my opinion, even the quotes coming from Apple haven't been well thought out.....just like the list of requirements!
  • Reply 93 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaddogTurbo View Post

The marketing geniuses are at it again!!!!

Thank God for brilliant marketing people!!!!!

I don't have Apple's sales figures, so let's just take some median numbers, shall we??? Let's let "hundreds of thousands" of Mac developers be equal to 500,000, and let's let "tens of millions" of Mac users be equal to 50,000,000.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that each one of these 50,000,000 buyers goes out and buys 1 application from each of these 500,000 developers. That equates to:

50,000,000/500,000=100 copies sold. By God...your rich!!!

After years of development, you can expect to make the following, based on these figures:

Cost of Product/Net income:

$10.00/$1000.00

$20.00/$2000.00

$100.00/$20,000.00

$500.00/$50,000.00

We can, of course, play a "fun with numbers" game, as in company A has 20 developers, sells 10,000 units at $100.00 a piece, whereas companies Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z have 2 or less developers and sell a grand total of 0 (zero) products (I'll let you do the math for this disaster).

Sarcasm aside, there are a fair number of companies that simply cannot comply with these standards. For example, companies that make utilities like "Disk Warrior" or "Tech Tools Pro" need access to admin level permissions, and reading the standards, they're excluded.

Being excluded from a "sales list" like this could be interpreted as a "mark of inferiority." Oh, really???? So the guy developing software that makes f*rting sounds is perfectly welcome, but those making advanced diagnostic tools aren't???? (As an FYI, there were two companies developing f*rting sound software for the iPhone that got into a lawsuit over this "high tech" stuff).

Mr. Jobs and his team of "marketing geniuses" have deluded themselves into believing the computer is nothing more than a two bit gadget. He made such a comment about the iPad stating "it's all anyone needed."
    • Mail: Yes

• Movies: Yes

• F*rting Sound Software: Why, of course

• Find the nearest bar: Certainly

• Imaging for cancer screening: Don't be ridiculous, silly rabbit

• Calculating Fourier Series/Transforms for interference problems: Don't be ridiculous...interference problems don't exist, especially on iPhones

• Financial Calculations: Naaahhh...trust the guys on Wall Street to analyze everything for you, they know what they're doing!!!!

The "store" looks like it's a bad idea, a really, really bad idea, and clearly, in my opinion, even the quotes coming from Apple haven't been well thought out.....just like the list of requirements!

Like and agree.
  • Reply 94 of 175
    Hi

I was wondering if Apps developed using Nokia Qt C++ and some objective C inside it and packaged using xCode packaging mechanism would be accepted provided other conditions are met?

Thanks
  • Reply 95 of 175
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This will be huge for Mac gaming. It will be the turning point for the Mac and games. It will spur development of games developed for OS X (without DirectX) that are as fast as any PC and eventually faster.

Oh and of course, the second they heard this MS started work to come up with a PC App Store, I guarantee it.
  • Reply 96 of 175
    MadDog Turbo I'm not even going to quote your ridiculous diatribe in your first post using this name as it is too silly to waste the pixels but you really need help there fella'.

Check back in two years and eat your rant
  • Reply 97 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Folks, we are on the verge of a HUGE Apple increase to the un-washed masses

THAT will change the "Apple/Mac" experience as most of us have known it

Sorry, but that is the Reality before us

Will bet the mortgage most everyone who reads this has been involved with Apple/Mac for many years. We've been that "less that 10%" of the computers out there all this time, and it has been a Great Time and Experience for us all.

For example - when we needed to check out new software, simply visit VersionTracker, or in recent years MacUpdate. If we wanted to catch up on the News, we came here to AppleInsider or MacSurfer. Were only a few sites we needed to "know" and we all pretty much knew one another, and reputations were easy to follow - along with the software as it was developed. If/when someone tried to pull a pile of b.s. on the Apple/Mac Family and Community? We all knew about it pretty quick and word got around fast.

Well, those days are almost gone.

Now VersionTracker is owned by Someone who's owned by CBS/Viacom. One of the original Mac Web Guys, Stan at MacMinute, died couple of years ago. Ted Landau is somewhere, retired no doubt. On and on. Are some other names of ol' timers I'd have to dig around to remember, sorry - but you should get the idea.

Is a "New World" we the Apple/Mac Family are about to move into. Now the Entire World is about to discover what we've known for years.

And the few reliable sites we've come to rely on will probably get lost in the shuffle, noise and commotion, then be like the Windows Sites for Software and News already out there now - and be honest about them. Name one of those you know you can trust to be on the up and up, and when you read a review of some new Software as posted on that site, is it a 'plant' or someone with an axe to grind, etc ? And with 100,000 hits/reviews how can we sort the shit from the shineola?

Yes, AppleInsider, et al - will still have Great Reputations and get our business. But we're that small minority, that less than 10%. Once the rest of the Planet gets on the Bandwagon, will probably be a multitude of other Apple News Sites pop up - all claiming to be the 'best' - and the tourists will gather round. Hell, they bought into Windows easy enough in the first place, merely because they're now coming to Mac doesn't mean they're really any smarter, just late to the party.

We'll see about the new Mac App Store - and the new "direction" for the Future as we all go "back to the Mac" - but if it's at all like the iPhone/Pad Store, then it will probably be just fine for the Future that's coming, and coming fast.

Apple/Steve and Crew have done pretty good so far, let's grant the benefit of the doubt that what they're now trying to create will work fine for the Billions and Billions of new users about to join us.

(all that sorta make sense?)

Excellent post. BTW Sad to realize some of the original Mac gurus have left us.

I totally agree and I see this being massive. The launch date of the Mac App store will be a date to remember as a turning point in Mac history.
  • Reply 98 of 175
    Mac app store is great for apple, sucks for mac developers. Users will start to expect that all mac apps are on the store, and apple will start taking a 30% cut of every mac app sale. That's a crapload of money to apple, for doing essentially nothing but providing hosting space. On top of that you have to deal with apple's BS submission guidelines.

Most apps already have built-in autoupdating via sparkle, and for the most part can be uninstalled by dragging to trash, so I don't see how apple even offers any additional functionality to app downloads.

This just looks more and more like a big, wet, steaming pile of fail.
  • Reply 99 of 175
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Hopefully ones that can assist you with reading comprehension as well

Sure, I make my living by writing software so I would guess I comprehend this a little better than you do.
  • Reply 100 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Nobody has to use the store. Jobs made it very clear that the App Store will be an option. Not the option.

And Steve has NEVER backpedaled before or turned around 180 degrees on his past statements? Riiiight.

Two years from now, this will be our only choice for software.