iTunes password security in FaceTime for Mac beta draws concern

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Apple are at fault for releasing software to the general public rather than to it's developer community. No one "wanted" a public beta, people want stable, gold master software as soon as possible. Public betas are a bad idea, most people will simply grumble when there is an issue rather than (or being able to) give a full error report to Apple - it serves no purpose except for bad press from people who simply don't understand what "beta" software is.

I agree that Apple should have caught this, and you can be sure that at least one person has heard it - loudly.

But people DO want public betas, even though they're buggy, and even if they present security risks. Look at any free e-mail service. They've all had serious security breakdowns, most often, more than one. Yet, we don't see people moving away from hotmail or G Mail. Facebook has its own problems with security, but more people go there every day.

This is the least of most people's worries. As long as only someone you trust uses your machine, you're fine.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

I still have not tried FaceTime, but the question I have is that I have just one email addy and one AppleID. How can I use my iPod Touch to call my Home Computer to chat with the wife/kids? I mean, can you call yourself?

Yes, you can call yourself. It's a little weird, but it works!
  • Reply 23 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Here's an article about this from Arstechnica. It sums the problem up nicely, though the lead in says to be careful about who you call, though whomever you call can't get the password, so I don't know why they said that.

They make the point that the only thing someone getting your password sitting at your computer can do is buy stuff on iTunes, not break into your computer.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...urity-hole.ars
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

You call this a security problem? If a bad person has physical access to the logged-in account on your computer, you've probably got a lot more to worry about than your Apple ID.

That's exactly what I was thinking!
  • Reply 25 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

Yes, you can call yourself. It's a little weird, but it works!

With the same email address on both the home computer and the iPhone/iPod? In other words, you don't need to use or establish a different email address for one of the devices?

That's euler's question. I was thinking that the way to do it would be to use a different email for one of them.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Apple are at fault for releasing software to the general public rather than to it's developer community. No one "wanted" a public beta, people want stable, gold master software as soon as possible. Public betas are a bad idea, most people will simply grumble when there is an issue rather than (or being able to) give a full error report to Apple - it serves no purpose except for bad press from people who simply don't understand what "beta" software is.

If you say so I'm not a member of the Mac developer community but I "wanted" the public beta... as did plenty of other people I know who are also not members of the Mac developer community. So to say "no one" is simply not true. But if you've ever worked in the software field you'd know that bad press is not always bad. People will always complain and there are even plenty of "developers" out there who don't report bugs... they simply sign up to be developers for their own reasons that do not always benefit the community. Ignorance of the term beta is no excuse to not take any personal responsibility, hence the user agreements that normally come with these betas. Do you not think Apple pays attention to blog posts and popular tech sites such as this???

Either way it makes no difference. This issue is pretty much insignificant IMO so the people who want to grumble about it... go right ahead. Just remember:

"...IMPORTANT NOTE: This is trial, pre-release, time-limited software meant for evaluation and testing purposes only. This software should not be used in a commercial operating environment or with important data. Before installing the Apple software, you should back up all of your data and regularly back up data while using the Apple software..." - Software License Agreement

They flat out told you right there that there may be issues. If you didn't read it... shame on you, not Apple. Take some responsibility people!
  • Reply 27 of 38
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

What is more important on your PC than your credit card information. Which now can be easily used by a criminal? (Though only in the AppStore, but you would not be happy about the receipt you are going to get, for sure).

If someone has physical access to the machine, in most cases, they probably also have access to your email. This would mean an attacker can probably reset any password they want just by going to a web site and selecting the "forgot my password option".

-kpluck
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Oh wow, you mean if a hacker has physical access to my computer he can hack it? Wow! This is really news!
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Interesting note:

I used Face Time on the Mac for the first time last night. After install, I called a friend with an iPhone 4 and we had a good chat with no hiccups. Before I dialed him though, I accidently hit the name above his (and they also have an iPhone 4) but I quickly stopped the call. Later on, after I had closed Face Time (no longer appearing in my Dock) that misdialed friend called me back from his iPhone and Face Time opened on my Mac with an option to Answer the call or to Cancel.

Before this I was thinking that in order to receive Face Time calls on the Mac I'd have to keep the app open all the time (like iChat), but that's obviously not the case. Pretty cool. Just thought I'd pass it on.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Attention people: Apple has seemingly solved the vulnerability! Now if you try and click the "View Account" button it simply does nothing. Apple has successfully solved the vulnerability for now. Good for them. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy this wonderful software!!! Hurrray for Apple support team!

Good work...
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Downloading it now...

So how did it go? Are you able to call yourself, i.e., do you have another FT device?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Interesting note:

I used Face Time on the Mac for the first time last night. After install, I called a friend with an iPhone 4 and we had a good chat with no hiccups. Before I dialed him though, I accidently hit the name above his (and they also have an iPhone 4) but I quickly stopped the call. Later on, after I had closed Face Time (no longer appearing in my Dock) that misdialed friend called me back from his iPhone and Face Time opened on my Mac with an option to Answer the call or to Cancel.

Before this I was thinking that in order to receive Face Time calls on the Mac I'd have to keep the app open all the time (like iChat), but that's obviously not the case. Pretty cool. Just thought I'd pass it on.

That is cool! Thanks for the tip. Seems better than desktop Skype that you have to keep running in the background to take calls.

I also tried it last night and it was simple to use. I used my AppleID but another email address. So anyone ringing me would need my email address rather than my AppleID which obviously I will not disclose. Not sure why peeps seem to think this is a security problem, but whatever.

One potential security problem I do see is encryption. From what I have seen and heard on the net, FT is unencrypted. Which is a total bummer, especially if you are at Internet cafe.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Lock your keychain when you leave your Mac unattended. Problem solved.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

One potential security problem I do see is encryption. From what I have seen and heard on the net, FT is unencrypted. Which is a total bummer, especially if you are at Internet cafe.

Honestly it's not that easy. Unless you use FaceTime to transfer missel launch codes I wouldn't worry about it. Focus more on securing your wireless network with WPA2 standards.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Honestly it's not that easy. Unless you use FaceTime to transfer missel launch codes I wouldn't worry about it. Focus more on securing your wireless network with WPA2 standards.

I was wondering how much of an issue this was. Not that I do much espionage, mind you, but what aspect of a FT call could be hacked, for lack of a better word, and how?

But I notice that the iPod's cameras do a great job with capturing text and handwriting of around 8 point size, so you could do FaceTime 'fax' of your codes and not risk being overheard.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    I also discovered, if you give someone physical access to your machine, it's possible for them to delete all your files and render the OS unbootable! And if they happened to bring their own USB key or blank disc, they could make copies of ALL your personal information!!

This is a huge security flaw! I demand a fix immediately!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    I have a Mac Mini without a camera. I wonder if I will need an iSight camera or if other cameras can work with Facetime also?
  • Reply 38 of 38
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I have a Mac Mini without a camera. I wonder if I will need an iSight camera or if other cameras can work with Facetime also?

I too have a mac mini and I have the logitech webcam attached to it. I got FaceTime to work with it last night (although I occassionally get a message that the camera is already in use when it is no longer in use, but i have always had this problem even with iChat.)