Apple previews Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, bringing iOS features 'Back to the Mac'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 174
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

At no point did he say that the Mac App Store is the only way to install software on Lion. This is an addition to normal outlets.

I sure hope that they stop allowing users to muck up their machines with non-approved software. Think of all the calls that AppleCare gets just because some Bozo thinks he can install just any old software on Apple's machines.

Hey! My fan's running top speed and the laptop is too hot to sit on my lap!

Did you install any unapproved software?

Well, just Adobe Flash...
  • Reply 142 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Interesting to see whether steve and his cronies let utorrent and flash be distributed through the app store though.

I sure hope not. Those sorts of things need to be curated.
  • Reply 143 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Six months after Mac app store hits there will be more software available for the Mac than any other platform. .

So if more titles are available for 9% of the market than are available for 90% of the market, how will the developers make any money?

Think about it.

Naw. I think that the big software companies will continue to develop for the popular platfoms.

And if the little guys working on their kitchen tables all throw into the MacStore, none of them will make any money.

The only way would be for someone to either make an exclusive app (not bloody likely if more titles are avialable for the Mac than for Windows) or for there to be a proportionate number of titles, given the tiny number of Macs in the wild.
  • Reply 144 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Web is a long way from running real applications.

Bullshit. Google Maps works GREAT.

There are many many great apps on the 'web.
  • Reply 145 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

If you can get my app in front of 50 million Mac owners,

But that ain't gonna happen. Not with the lousy search capabilities at the App Store. Apps get lost and rarely seen by anybody. Many apps make no money. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

So far from Apple's store being a road to riches, it may be a road to obscurity too.
  • Reply 146 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

70/30 revenue split?! Is Apple nuts?

Yea, I can see reams of Mac developers signing up for that shit.

Listing on MacUpdate $0, App Store, 30% of your revenues.

I smell a flop

But if it is the ONLY way to sell Mac software, your comments become irrelevant. It sucks that Apple doesn't get any revenue from these developers. If not for Apple, they wouldn't even have such a great platform to write for.

So Apple sees all this software profit, made possible by Apple, and don't you think that they deserve their rightful cut?

Why should developers be allowed to profit, at Apple's expense, on Apple's machines? Why are they allowed to sell their terrible uncurated junk to unsuspecting Apple Customers?

That is so, like, Windows! Mac users need the security of a curated App Store where they can find every single title available for their Mac. No more searching around and mucking around with uncurated junk!
  • Reply 147 of 174
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

But if it is the ONLY way to sell Mac software, your comments become irrelevant. It sucks that Apple doesn't get any revenue from these developers. If not for Apple, they wouldn't even have such a great platform to write for.

So Apple sees all this software profit, made possible by Apple, and don't you think that they deserve their rightful cut?

Why should developers be allowed to profit, at Apple's expense, on Apple's machines? Why are they allowed to sell their terrible uncurated junk to unsuspecting Apple Customers?

That is so, like, Windows! Mac users need the security of a curated App Store where they can find every single title available for their Mac. No more searching around and mucking around with uncurated junk!

Love the satire, but unfortunately some moron probably thinks this way.
  • Reply 148 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

He (and touch monitor critics) aren't saying anything about standing. The ergonomic issue is about reaching out with your arm horizontally for extended periods.

If such an ergonomic "issue" exists, then why did Jony design the keyboard dock for the iPad?

Are you claiming that this is a bad ergonomic design? If so, then you are claiming that Apple currently sells and promotes bad ergonomic designs. I don't see any way around it.

Somehow, I think Jony and Steve still do OK with ergonomics?
  • Reply 149 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

The main difference is that Mac software will come with a 30% tax. The only question is whether end users will pay it with higher prices, or developers will just give up a third of their bread so Steve can get fat.

I would expect a similar phenomenon to happen as is current with the App Store: a plethora of "me-too" apps which quickly race to the bottom, price-wise.

There will be a few titles that might command current prices, much as there are a handful of regular-priced apps in the App Store. But the vast majority of titles will compete on price.

And instead of getting only a small piece of the Mac software pie, Apple will get 30% Plus.
  • Reply 150 of 174
    Due to mac app store economics

Mac will beat pc in gaming.

Imagine hundreds of High quality games available

for direct download for price of 0.99$ to 10$

This is big really really big. No wonder apple is

rushing major release of OSX after snow leopard.

Especially release of mac app store.

It is best thing that could happen to computer gamers

and game developers
  • Reply 151 of 174
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

1) Note that the Mac App Store will be on Snow Leopard, too, and will be out at least a half year before Lion hits stores, based on their self-imposed time frames.

2) I?m not sure I call this is a rush. It?ll be two years between the release of SL and Lion. On top of that, it appears they are doing a tik/tok method like Intel does with it?s CPUs. SL was a complete overhaul of the foundation of Mac OS X with minor UI alterations, while Lion seems mostly like UI changes. I like this plan as it allows them to focus on one area, thus reducing potential issues, speeding up testing and getting the appearance of a major update out faster now that Mac OS X has matured. Jobs stated many years ago that Mac OS X would slow down, and this would be a way to prevent 3-4 years between updates with 2 years in beta testing. I wonder if the 10.8 will be Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 152 of 174
    Those features are not very big ones. When are they going to update the look and feel of the OS?
  • Reply 153 of 174
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

Those features are not very big ones. When are they going to update the look and feel of the OS?

I would call the muted tones and context aware scroll bars exactly that.
  • Reply 154 of 174
    Well it had to many glitches anyway!!! Dude Apple is going to try to over do it and mostly fail and then they make all their customers pay with glitches and problems o and not to mention more money wasting!!! If u didn't notice Apple rips u people off that's y I can say my school made a terrible decision going with Apple!!! They have to many problems and cost us way too much money!!!
  • Reply 155 of 174
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does 10.7 have Resolution Independence? I would think with the tiny yet hi-res MacBook Air 11 it would be downright necessary. I'd probably even ratchet the UI up a notch on my Hi Res MBP.
  • Reply 156 of 174
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Does 10.7 have Resolution Independence? I would think with the tiny yet hi-res MacBook Air 11 it would be downright necessary. I'd probably even ratchet the UI up a notch on my Hi Res MBP.

I can't find any info on that. You'd think Apple would have at least mentioned it like they did years ago if they were hellbent on including it on what looks to be mostly a visual OS change.

As for the new MBA resolutions, they are inline with the high-res versions of the 15" and 17" MBPs, about 135ppi. So still within reason without needing RI, but I don't think we can go higher unless they add RI or an intermediate layer like Windows has.
  • Reply 157 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't find any info on that. You'd think Apple would have at least mentioned it like they did years ago if they were hellbent on including it on what looks to be mostly a visual OS change.

As for the new MBA resolutions, they are inline with the high-res versions of the 15" and 17" MBPs, about 135ppi. So still within reason without needing RI, but I don't think we can go higher unless they add RI or an intermediate layer like Windows has.

Good point, same density roughly. Even with my MBP hi res I zoom in web pages with Safari though. I need and like the high-res for the maximal screen real estate when I need it though. I agree I am surprised they did not mention it. My guess is if they were going to include it they would've mentioned it, even as a quick bullet point, since it would be such a great improvement to the UI. So I am guessing it will not make the cut again, perhaps by 10.8.
  • Reply 158 of 174
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hope Lion includes a file system optimized for SSD, snapshotting, online volume resizing(appending added storage to a current volume).

Name it iFS.
  • Reply 159 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Hope Lion includes a file system optimized for SSD, snapshotting, online volume resizing(appending added storage to a current volume).

Name it iFS.

Sounds sweet. It definitely needs TRIM. Unless Apple is shipping GC on their MBA SSDs. Write support for NTFS and FTP, too.

Hope it's still $29!
  • Reply 160 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

For apps sold through the Apple Store, the developer gets 70% of a lot. Selling these same apps through their own websites, they got 100% of a little. Oh, pray tell when will Apple stop? Helping developers dramatically increase their earnings. It's downright evil!

Man. Thats harsh, Apple. Why help developers make more money then they could on their own? *sarcasm* I guess some people are more Republican, only the rich can make money, everyone else fights for themselves. I mean, imagine how Opera, or other smaller companies can do with a Mac Store? This has been a dream of mine for a long, long time. I for one was excited when Steam came out!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I knew we'd get a Mac App Store. I even e-mailed Jobs about it when the iPhone App Store first came out. But then I saw Steve e-mail replies to people saying it wasn't coming. He must have come round.

I got my fullscreen button, ha!

Yep, I saw a OS Store coming through official channels. I just didn't know who would do it first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Wow, Full Screen Apps! That is amazing, revolutionary! Nothing at all like Maximize on a PC. /sarcasm

This has been my number one complaint about macs since I switched a decade ago....and I have to wait until Summer until I get it....bummer. But still happy it is finally here...

Now if they could natively have the menu bar on multiple monitors.....

I actually don't like the full screen feature. Ever since I switched, using the Mac style seems better to me. I don't know why.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

Due to mac app store economics

Mac will beat pc in gaming.

Imagine hundreds of High quality games available

for direct download for price of 0.99$ to 10$

It is best thing that could happen to computer gamers

and game developers

Mac will never, ever beat Windows in gaming. Steam is available on Windows and Mac, plus MS IS MAKING a Windows Store themselves, assuming the newly leaked doc's are to believed. So Windows users will be able to download app's through a store. Might have to wait to 2012 if they have to wait for Windows 8. But if I was MS I would launch it next Summer.