Apple to sell iLife, iWork apps individually via Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At one point in the presentation yesterday, I thought SJ mentioned that an app that is downloaded on one Mac can be used on all of one's home/personal Macs. In other words, I assume, the app by app download is now priced more like a 'family' app.

Anyone else catch that, or am I misinterpreting things?

You are correct.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I'm sorry, what? Do the developers of iLife work for free? Do their banks not insist on mortgage payments every month? Do the grocery stores in Cupertino not charge for food?

Do you work for free at your job?

I'm afraid I don't understand why you believe if you buy something from someone once, that they're bound to keep working to improve what you bought for free.

Actually this is a very interesting question. When you buy an app through the App Store all updates are free. If you want to sell an update to an existing user you have to submit a new app and then delete the old app off the store. Developers generally don't do this because it pisses off customers. Apple has never done this either.

So how will apple handle all this with iLife when it is put on the store. Will apple have two tier pricing? One lower price for an update ... and a higher price for the first time purchase? It will be interesting to see if there will be a new update price option on the mac app store.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    It's about freakin' time. Though I still have no use for any of them. I toyed with iMovie for a while...when it was free.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Actually this is a very interesting question. When you buy an app through the App Store all updates are free. If you want to sell an update to an existing user you have to submit a new app and then delete the old app off the store. Developers generally don't do this because it pisses off customers. Apple has never done this either.

So how will apple handle all this with iLife when it is put on the store. Will apple have two tier pricing? One lower price for an update ... and a higher price for the first time purchase? It will be interesting to see if there will be a new update price option on the mac app store.

Yes it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. One thing I'd say to the folks feeling it should be free is at these prices they virtually are!
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:

At one point in the presentation yesterday, I thought SJ mentioned that an app that is downloaded on one Mac can be used on all of one's home/personal Macs. In other words, I assume, the app by app download is now priced more like a 'family' app.

That's how I assume it will be. The family pack becomes the default. It makes you wonder if Pro Apps will ever be on the store and if so will they also be allowed on five machines? Their size may be an issue (FCPro Studio for example) but there could be options for shipped or downloaded as many companies already do. Manuals are PDFs these days so that's not a problem.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Also better for the environment, less plastic and packaging. Retailers (bricks and clicks) must be SH*TTING themselves though. They are the middleman and they are about to be cut right out of the deal. Not that the margin is fantastic anyways, but the direction is really going to digital downloads now. No developer would not want to be on the Mac App Store, unless they object seriously to Apple's cut, which many will do but will eventually cave in.

I can see developers offering cheaper pricing if you buy direct from their website... Best of both worlds for them.

I concur. The only negative some will feel maybe the perceived price drops that are inevitable to their industry. However, if you factor in free exposure, free web site for delivery plus financial transactions taken care of. Then no manuals to print and no packaging! The prices should obviously fall considerably. Add in an increased sales opportunity and it all leads me to think few will be opting out even if they balk at first. I bet most are salivating. I would have been all over this back when I was CEO of a Mac software company in the 1990s. Of those that are vocally against this I wonder how many have run a software company?
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's how I assume it will be. The family pack becomes the default. It makes you wonder if Pro Apps will ever be on the store and if so will they also be allowed on five machines? Their size may be an issue (FCPro Studio for example) but there could be options for shipped or downloaded as many companies already do. Manuals are PDFs these days so that's not a problem.

It took me 5 hours to install a FCP Studio 4 using 6 DVD's. Don't think that will download on the mac anytime soon.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

It took me 5 hours to install a FCP Studio 4 using 6 DVD's. Don't think that will download on the mac anytime soon.

Agreed it is a pain (I did it a bit faster than that though I think ... but then again maybe not, I was doing other things) but remember 90% of that (or more) was media not the apps. So updates at least could be. I only have 25/25 Mbs but I work from home, many pro studios have way faster.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

KEYNOTE>>>>>>> is da bomb

Damn Steve is still holding out on us... I definitely see some transitions and effects in his recent presentations not yet in the latest version of Keynote.

Can you please elaborate, because so far I've found everything that people claim arn't in '09
  • Reply 30 of 70
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Interestingly, how will Apple recognise a pirated iWork 09 and you reinstalling it from a DMG? But yeah eventually pirates, jailbreaking and Cydia and repos for Macs will emerge. Hackers are probably watching very, very closely.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the next version of iWork, as well as all other Apple software, which will almost certainly be available only on the Mac store, with no retail packages.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    And why do you feel that you deserve something for free?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

They should be free and just update through the Apple Software Update. How many billions in sales does the Mac do? It is nice you get it free with a new Mac, but it should just be free for upgrades too.

• Reply 32 of 70
    The current update didn't sound too exciting, but I never purchased the last upgrade and would like to get Faces and Places. I couldn't see paying $50 for the entire suite since I never use Garage Band and only have used iMovie a couple of times.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I'm sorry, what? Do the developers of iLife work for free? Do their banks not insist on mortgage payments every month? Do the grocery stores in Cupertino not charge for food?

Do you work for free at your job?

I'm afraid I don't understand why you believe if you buy something from someone once, that they're bound to keep working to improve what you bought for free.

Seriously, you think Apple can't afford to pay the developers? You think the profit from this software makes or breaks their bottom line? This is chump change for Apple. Do they charge for iTunes?
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And why do you feel that you deserve something for free?

I paid $1800 for a laptop....pretty sure I'm not asking for anything for free.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

Great Answer!
  • Reply 36 of 70
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

If you buy a Sony laptop for $1800, do they give you any productivity or lifestyle applications for free (with free updates and upgrades) or do you just get shovelware?
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

Well apps you download from the App Store can be used by all of iDevices authorized to use that account...figured it will be the same for the Mac store.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    I want to make sure I am hearing most of you correctly. You will now have to pay for what once was free and you are happy about that....

Did I get that correct?
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I want to make sure I am hearing most of you correctly. You will now have to pay for what once was free and you are happy about that....

Did I get that correct?

Nope. You got it completely wrong actually.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Did I get that correct?

When was iLife free? You get it included with every Mac, but it was never free, at least not since I switched. If you want the new version for an older Mac, they sell it separately for a few bucks. Now you can just buy the pieces and parts you are interested in.

OBTW, SJ said in yesterday's keynote that iLife is still included with every Mac.