Apple to sell iLife, iWork apps individually via Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I want to make sure I am hearing most of you correctly. You will now have to pay for what once was free and you are happy about that....

Did I get that correct?

iLife has never been free. If you buy a computer it is included on the install (hardly free). Yet if you want new future features of iLife after computer purchase you have always needed to pay a nominal fee to upgrade. I believe that is changing once the mac app store is available. I believe all future upgrades will be free (assuming they follow the iPhone app store model), but we can't be sure until apple makes official announcement of app store policies.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

I paid $1800 for a laptop....pretty sure I'm not asking for anything for free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Great Answer!

Not really. He bought a laptop and got exactly what he paid for. Fair deal.

But the we all know you don't care, you only troll.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I sure like the idea of software being licensed for all of my home computers. I have three Macs and it's always been a pain when I upgrade one and then the iLife Apps are not the same on the older ones.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    c-rayc-ray Posts: 40member
    Now, if they get a database module, something with at least the capability of the DB in AW6, I will be a very happy person.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

When was iLife free? You get it included with every Mac, but it was never free, at least not since I switched. If you want the new version for an older Mac, they sell it separately for a few bucks. Now you can just buy the pieces and parts you are interested in.

I recall iLife being free when Apple was doing its switch campaign. Then they switched and started charging.

$15 seems kind of expensive for iPhoto when it is a bunch of UI tweeks like fullscreen, different slideshows and more stuff to purchase like books and cards. I will wait for reviews before deciding. I think they should drop it under $5 to promote the App store.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At one point in the presentation yesterday, I thought SJ mentioned that an app that is downloaded on one Mac can be used on all of one's home/personal Macs. In other words, I assume, the app by app download is now priced more like a 'family' app.

Anyone else catch that, or am I misinterpreting things?

Yes, he did say that and I posted a question about it. But as I am an impatient sucker I went out and bought the family pack of iLife anyway. (Not sure why as I could just pay for the single and install it on all our Macs) My impatience bit me in the ass because iMovie already played up has cause all sorts of issues. 'Must wait, can't wait' is my modus operandi, I'm afraid.

Anyway, yes, when the App Store appears you can run any purchased app on all your home computers, is what he said. He didn't limit it to 5. As with IOS each device needs to log in under a single login, of course.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I think the best thing Apple's done to stem piracy has been to price their apps reasonably. With my corporate discount (most people who work for a larger company has access to discounts through Apple), iWork cost me $65. Even if I didn't prefer it wholeheartedly to Office, I'd still spend the full $79 price over $200 for Microsoft's version. I think if Apple doubled the cost of the software, a lot more people would pirate it. But with what they're charging, I think it's a bargain and well worth the cost.

Even the prosumer apps like Final Cut Express, Logic Express, and Aperture are all running $199 and well worth the price for what you get.

If you're right though (although I suspect piracy is simply a net benefit and not a primary goal of the App Store), Apple's scheme also gives us a great advantage. Typically software is sold on a per-seat license. The App Store ties a license to a user account, and theoretically I should be able to install my iWork software on all of my systems.

The obvious drawback however is for families. Does that mean that my copy of iWork will not be usable by my children? Will I have to pay $20 so that he can use Pages even though I've already got a copy? I hope there's an answer for this shortcoming...

Steve Jobs said that software downloads could be downloaded once and used on all of your personal computers.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atanner View Post

Steve Jobs said that software downloads could be downloaded once and used on all of your personal computers.

Yeah I'll have to go watch the Keynote (unfortunately my work machine doesn't yet have Snow Leopard so I couldn't watch live yesterday). I do still wonder though if that means on all your computers and on all their accounts (when my son is old enough to use a computer, he'll have his own login with restrictions; he'll eventually need software like Pages for school work).

I guess we'll have all the answers in the next ninety days though
  • Reply 49 of 70
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Seriously, you think Apple can't afford to pay the developers? You think the profit from this software makes or breaks their bottom line? This is chump change for Apple. Do they charge for iTunes?

I disagree. Software creation is a highly labor intensive process that requires exceptional skills that are scarce. In fact, Apple hardware sales does subsidize Apple software development. I see no reason as to why it should be 100%, and it is Apple's decision.

Think of the Windows platform. You pay big bucks for any major software upgrade of Windows if you want to move up from what is already installed on your Windows platform computer. That is because Microsoft has a different business model whereby most of their revenues is from software licenses to OEM manufacturers and enterprise IT. Most individuals transition from one version of Windows to another via the process of buying a new computer with the Windows software upgrade already purchased by an OEM and installed by an OEM.

In the case of Linux: in practice, major commercial firms contribute a great deal to that open source platform for their mutual benefit. It is, in an informal sense, a consortium.

Software development has to be paid for in some manner just like hardware development and manufacturing, assembly, and shipping.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

They should be free and just update through the Apple Software Update. How many billions in sales does the Mac do? It is nice you get it free with a new Mac, but it should just be free for upgrades too.

I'm going to try your way of thinking with Ford. The 2011 Edge received significant upgrades over my wife's 2010 model. I'm with you, I think Ford owes it to their customers to provide free upgrades for life.

And before you go saying "That's different," it's not. Although one is a company that sells intellectual property and the other sells physical property they are both in the business of selling. I'd love to know what you do in life. Do you give free lifetime upgrades for the work you do?
  • Reply 51 of 70
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Duh.

Why is this news? It's already obvious from Apple's screenshots and the App Store demo from the keynote.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Quote:

Great Answer!

Quote:

I want to make sure I am hearing most of you correctly. You will now have to pay for what once was free and you are happy about that....

Did I get that correct?

Actually you are all fools.

You can get a laptop and all hardware/software in it for free! It is a little known secret that when you walk in to the Apple store you can ask the clerk to pry off the alt/option key and then they will then just give you the laptop.

You see the company that makes that little key charges Apple $1800. No key, no pay! Go ahead and try it tonight. All I ask is that you keep it a secret here on the forums. We can't let the rest of the world know about this loophole... \
  • Reply 53 of 70
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Great Answer!

How was your vacation?
  • Reply 54 of 70
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member
    Quote:

If you buy a Sony laptop for $1800, do they give you any productivity or lifestyle applications for free (with free updates and upgrades) or do you just get shovelware?

Yes, they let me download Windows Live Essentials.....for Free.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    Will any of those apps be 64bit? I want a recap article on how many Anal-lists got all of those predictions WRONG.

Like iDVD making an exit, 64bit iLife, a secret new app in iLife, iOS touch screen iMacs.....etc. They iHype is making the real announcments look boring.

Title the blog post "Jon Grubber gets it WRONG AGAIN!!!".
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Quote:

Did I get that correct?

You only get it free when you buy a Mac otherwise it is a cost which is a low price point.

I am so looking forward to this. I use Pages and Numbers often but I rarely if ever use Keynote so buying it is a waste of time for me. I'd rather have just the apps that I want to use so this app store is going to be the best thing for getting the software I want.

Thanks Apple although Bodega has been doing this for a while how many people have heard of Bodega? Having the app store on the Mac will bring this store and therefore more sales to a great deal more developers.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    This is great news. I'm using the same version of iLife (06?) that came with my macbook in 2007. I've been wanting to upgrade, but $80 for using basically iPhoto (I don't use Garageband, and I've only opened iMovie a handful of times) has never seemed worth it.

Edit - after reading it again, I see they've lowered the price to $49. Still, it's a net win for me.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:

Yeah, I know. Apple should be serving that up with a daily cafe latte too, given that they are holding a gun to our heads demanding purchase of their overpriced products for which we have no free will to exercise.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

... I do still wonder though if that means on all your computers and on all their accounts (when my son is old enough to use a computer, he'll have his own login with restrictions; he'll eventually need software like Pages for school work).

I guess we'll have all the answers in the next ninety days though

This is my concern as well. I always buy the family packs because we have additional computers using different AppleIDs. I hope they will still be selling the family packs to accommodate this situation.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:

When was iLife free? You get it included with every Mac, but it was never free, at least not since I switched. If you want the new version for an older Mac, they sell it separately for a few bucks. Now you can just buy the pieces and parts you are interested in.

OBTW, SJ said in yesterday's keynote that iLife is still included with every Mac.

I guess I have not owned a MAC long enough to have to pay for an iLife update...... I have only been using Mac's since June of 2009.....